Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing a lot of threads about GEM and some are super clogged with what UKCAT did you get/I didn't get an interview/BMAT/GAMSAT/which Uni etc etc.

I've been there and am still there but I thought it would be good to have one specific to interview advice and experiences.

I have a Bristol interview and would like a sounding board as I didn't think I'd get any offers and just started my prep :afraid:

Thoughts guys?

ReputationRep:
    I've also started prep although I don't have any interviews yet I wanted an early start. But there's a lot to do ! I made a list of important things to cover and have tried to start going through systematically writing notes and all I've researched in a note book. In most struggling with the reading of recent studies...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine1193)
    I've also started prep although I don't have any interviews yet I wanted an early start. But there's a lot to do ! I made a list of important things to cover and have tried to start going through systematically writing notes and all I've researched in a note book. In most struggling with the reading of recent studies...Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would seriously recommend 'Richard Lehman's weekly review of medical journals' which is here: http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/category/richard-lehmans-weekly-review-of-medical-journals

He is a recently retired GP who, for the last ten years or so, has written blogs every week summarising the most interesting papers in each of the 'big five' medical journals (The BMJ, JAMA, Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, and Annals).

It's very funny, very readable, and he gives the papers lots of context and points out how the results might (or, usually, might not!) be relevant to doctors treating real patients on the basis of the evidence.

I would read through the last few blog entries, and then perhaps read the full text of one or two articles which sound interesting from the summary. Drop me a line if you get stuck behind a paywall and I might be able to assist

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivemed56)
    I would seriously recommend 'Richard Lehman's weekly review of medical journals' which is here: http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/category/richard-lehmans-weekly-review-of-medical-journals

He is a recently retired GP who, for the last ten years or so, has written blogs every week summarising the most interesting papers in each of the 'big five' medical journals (The BMJ, JAMA, Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, and Annals).

It's very funny, very readable, and he gives the papers lots of context and points out how the results might (or, usually, might not!) be relevant to doctors treating real patients on the basis of the evidence.

I would read through the last few blog entries, and then perhaps read the full text of one or two articles which sound interesting from the summary. Drop me a line if you get stuck behind a paywall and I might be able to assist
    link doesn't work, do you have to be registered?

ReputationRep:
    I typed in his name to google then it let me into the blog via bmj

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es0phagus)
    link doesn't work, do you have to be registered?
    I would edit the post but the TSR mobile version refuses to let me paste! Delete 'he' from the original URL, copy the link text rather than clicking through, or google 'Richard Lehman's weekly review'.

ReputationRep:
    maybe a couple useful things i would recommend are obviously Tomorrows Doctors (which may or not have been revised this year). Also are the Kings Fund 5 year forward review which outline NHS Englands key areas of focus for the next few years (these are summaries, easy to read) and also find a comparison document which outlines the differences between NHs ENgland Scotland and Wales (if you apply to these) just to give you some context.

Also cant highly recommend understanding the city itself rather than just the uni - i got buggered in one of my interviews because i knew nothing about the city (i didnt care for it tbh, i just wanted any place at medical school!)

ReputationRep:
    You need to know both your reasons to study medicine and also contemporary issues in health. Other than your own background you aren't expected to know disease pathology.

That said if you included some research on your statement then you'd better know about it and be prepared to give a summary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    are you going to prepare more in the sense of why do you want to do medicine or more looking at the possible debates and knowing the most common illnesses etc?
    Very much doubt you'd have to know much about illnesses for the interview, that's what they're going to teach you if you get in.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experience of MMI or are we all medicine interview virgins on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyra1987)
    Anyone have any experience of MMI or are we all medicine interview virgins on here?
    MMI is a little like speed dating but I've never been speed dating so I'm not sure if that's a good comparison. I can tell you what it is like though.

It's usually one on one situations with questions around a specific area for example your communication skills, professionalism or work experience as such - highly doubtful any place will all you anything scientific.

Each station has a time allowance which is marked by a bell - when it rings you move to the next station.

With both mmi I went to there was about a minutes rest stop - outside each station will be a summary of what the station will be about so it helps a bit to get the juices flowing. The silence at this bit can be pretty awkward though so just take your time and don't immediately rush out of the station when the bell rings - FINISH YOUR SENTENCE AND SAY GOODBYE / THANK YOU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.