KitKat9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi! Over the summer I read Do No Harm by Henry Marsh, it was so good and currently I'm reading a couple of books by Atul Gawande. I love medical novels because I aim to go into medicine and it really gives a representation about what it would be like! Has anyone read any good books relating to medicine or science? What are your favourites?
Quilverine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do No Harm is a memoir rather than a novel.. Are you looking for fiction or accounts from practicing medics? Because Max Pemberton's Trust Me I'm a Junior Doctor is a really good and entertaining read if you like memoirs and biographies. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is also fascinating. A lot of research and advancement in medicine has used HeLa cells and the story behind the lady they were taken from raises important questions about ethics in research and acknowledges the tissues used in research were once part of real people and should be respected accordingly.

If you like history as well as medicine then Barnett's Medical London essays are entirely worth reading. I would quite like to find some people to do the associated walks with (the essays move through important sites in London's medical history).
KitKat9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Quilverine)
Do No Harm is a memoir rather than a novel.. Are you looking for fiction or accounts from practicing medics? Because Max Pemberton's Trust Me I'm a Junior Doctor is a really good and entertaining read if you like memoirs and biographies. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is also fascinating. A lot of research and advancement in medicine has used HeLa cells and the story behind the lady they were taken from raises important questions about ethics in research and acknowledges the tissues used in research were once part of real people and should be respected accordingly.

If you like history as well as medicine then Barnett's Medical London essays are entirely worth reading. I would quite like to find some people to do the associated walks with (the essays move through important sites in London's medical history).
Any really! I was planning on reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks next actually! It looks so interesting! I'll have to check those out so thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (277)
65.8%
No (144)
34.2%

Watched Threads