sugar crash

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
okay so i had a cookie and a sugary waffle for breakfast because i am stupid yes i agree
but then i was trying to do work and all of a sudden i just felt sooooooo sleepy
i could not concentrate, i could not do anything, my head was spinning, my eyes felt irritated and so tired like they could not open and i actually nodded off a few times! like legitimately fell asleep! never had that happen before... anyway do you think it's a sugar crash or something else? how do you recover from a sugar crash cos right now i just want to sleep.

all advice appreciated thanks
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't day definitively whether it was due to low blood sugar or not.

However if it was then it can be avoided by eating complex carbohydrates, rather than simple carbohydrates such as what you ate for breakfast. Simple carbohydrates cause a quick spike in blood sugar as they are broken down very quickly, and since they are broken down so quickly the blood sugar will also fall quickly. Eating complex carbohydrates however means you'll have more stable blood sugar levels as it takes time for the carbohydrates to break down.

Here is an image which you may find useful to visualise that concept:

https://www.topnotchlearning.com.au/...2015/09/gi.png
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
I can't day definitively whether it was due to low blood sugar or not.

However if it was then it can be avoided by eating complex carbohydrates, rather than simple carbohydrates such as what you ate for breakfast. Simple carbohydrates cause a quick spike in blood sugar as they are broken down very quickly, and since they are broken down so quickly the blood sugar will also fall quickly. Eating complex carbohydrates however means you'll have more stable blood sugar levels as it takes time for the carbohydrates to break down.

Here is an image which you may find useful to visualise that concept:

https://www.topnotchlearning.com.au/...2015/09/gi.png
yeah that makes sense - doing A level biology so we learned about that
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (131)
30.05%
No (305)
69.95%

Watched Threads