The Student Room Group

Things to consider when deciding whether to transfer to uni in my home town?

Over the Christmas break I'll decide whether I go back home and try and get into a uni in my home town or I will decide to remain living in halls in a different city! What things should I consider when making this big decision? really confused as to whether its a good idea, though I'm not enjoying myself much here.
I think there are 3 major things you need to take into consideration when considering changing university and course.

1) Money. You have already signed a contract for student accommodation, and they aren't going to release you from it because you decided to change university as your problem is no concern of theirs. If you leave you will have to find someone to replace you on the contract or you will have to continue paying rent regardless of whether or not you're still getting student finance. If you don't you could be taken to court which can have a massive impact on your future financial situation and credit.

2) Student Finance. when leaving a course early there are slightly different repayment rules depending on situation. You may have to start repaying what you have been given as soon as you leave. And (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you leave early I think also the 21k student finance cap before you have to start repaying does not count and you have to start paying back regardless of income. If unsure what applies to you then ring them up and ask and write down what will happen, on a brighter note however Student Finance can usually be more understanding and allow you to pay back at a rate you can afford so you can often negotiate repayments. Also take into account that you will have now lost a year of student finance.

3) Choosing a new course. Since you have lost a year of student finance from your last course you need to make sure you make the right decision on what course you do next. Don't make any rash decisions and be sure you know everything you need to before committing to anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
I think there are 3 major things you need to take into consideration when considering changing university and course.

1) Money. You have already signed a contract for student accommodation, and they aren't going to release you from it because you decided to change university as your problem is no concern of theirs. If you leave you will have to find someone to replace you on the contract or you will have to continue paying rent regardless of whether or not you're still getting student finance. If you don't you could be taken to court which can have a massive impact on your future financial situation and credit.

2) Student Finance. when leaving a course early there are slightly different repayment rules depending on situation. You may have to start repaying what you have been given as soon as you leave. And (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you leave early I think also the 21k student finance cap before you have to start repaying does not count and you have to start paying back regardless of income. If unsure what applies to you then ring them up and ask and write down what will happen, on a brighter note however Student Finance can usually be more understanding and allow you to pay back at a rate you can afford so you can often negotiate repayments. Also take into account that you will have now lost a year of student finance.

3) Choosing a new course. Since you have lost a year of student finance from your last course you need to make sure you make the right decision on what course you do next. Don't make any rash decisions and be sure you know everything you need to before committing to anything.

Thanks sorry maybe my question wasn't clear, I've taken all of the practical things into account such as finance etc, I was thinking more on the side of whether I should stay or go what kind of things can help me decide, If I did leave I would most probably want to do the same course at the uni in my home town so I may still have to pay for student accommodation however I think my student loan would stay the same they would just transfer the payment to the second uni I end up going to
Original post by automobile
Thanks sorry maybe my question wasn't clear, I've taken all of the practical things into account such as finance etc, I was thinking more on the side of whether I should stay or go what kind of things can help me decide, If I did leave I would most probably want to do the same course at the uni in my home town so I may still have to pay for student accommodation however I think my student loan would stay the same they would just transfer the payment to the second uni I end up going to

I suppose identifying what you don't like about your current course/ uni/ city and why/what you think it'll be any different back home?

Also not really sure what you mean about the bit bolded in red
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
I suppose identifying what you don't like about your current course/ uni/ city and why/what you think it'll be any different back home?

Also not really sure what you mean about the bit bolded in red
Ok and I mean my student finance wouldn't change because its early in the yr it would just transfer to the other uni so I wouldn't be paying any more or less
Ok and I mean my student finance wouldn't change because its early in the yr it would just transfer to the other uni so I wouldn't be paying any more or less

So you're saying it's early enough for you to transfer into another uni this year? Have you gotten confirmation on this?
I suppose some universities have slightly later starting semesters, but I would have thought going to a new university after Christmas would be far too late to catch up and I would have thought most if not all universities would deny you entry into this started academic year. I know at my uni and on my course at least you would have already missed 3 assessments and several assignments all module grade weighted.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I think my student loan would stay the same they would just transfer the payment to the second uni I end up going to

Have you already been accepted by your target uni? It's very unlikely that you could transfer courses mid-year, especially at short notice. You certainly won't be able to decide over Christmas and start at a new uni in January. If your request is accepted by your target uni, most unis will want you to complete and pass your first year before accepting you for the start of their second year.

Transferring unis isn't a simple process and you won't be able to do it at short notice. Your target uni will want a reference from your current uni as well. You need to find a supportive member of staff where you are, to recommend you.

You need to contact your target uni as soon as possible to find out a) whether a transfer is possible, b) when you could transfer, c) what their conditions might be.
Reply 7
Student services said I would be able to do this... and everyone around me has been saying stay till Christmas to decide, I would have done one essay and one report by Christmas, ugh this just makes everything worse I don't want to be here and now I'm going to be in huge debt for **** sake
Reply 8
Do you two have knowledge on this or is this just your own opinions?
Student services said I would be able to do this... and everyone around me has been saying stay till Christmas to decide, I would have done one essay and one report by Christmas, ugh this just makes everything worse I don't want to be here and now I'm going to be in huge debt for **** sake

Student services at your university can't talk on behalf of the university you want to go to. You will need to find out when you can enrol on your new course. And I'm sorry to say I doubt it'll be any earlier than next September especially if you wait until Christmas.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the debt. Sure it;s not ideal losing a year of student finance, but the debt itself is very tame and not something you should worry about the repayment rates are very generous. I'm not even remotely worried about my SF debt.
Do you two have knowledge on this or is this just your own opinions?

This is from knowledge not opinion. I just know from experience and from experience of friends and family that it's highly unlikely you can continue at a new university THIS year. Though there is nothing stopping you applying for next year. I know it's not ideal, but a year out won't be the end of the world and you can gather work experience and earn some money.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I am because my family aren't wealthy, I'd have to start paying it back as soon as I go back home..
Right so your own opinion ok thanks
Well I am because my family aren't wealthy, I'd have to start paying it back as soon as I go back home..

Neither are my family, I come from a home that lives on <10k per year.
Like I said in my original comment SF are very good in allowing you to set up at a payment rate you can afford.

Um no.
I don't understand why you're getting snippy, I've been trying to help. No need to be rude, I didn't have to take any time out to try to help you and give you advice.
Reply 15

Every uni runs its own admissions. As said above, nobody at your uni can give you a place at another uni. That is a fact - direct experience of the transfer process is unnecessary. I think you should go back to your Student Support - either they have misunderstood what you want to do (maybe they think you want to change courses within your current uni?) or you have musunderstood their answer.

You should contact the Admissions Office of your target uni as soon as possible, to establish whether they would consider you as a transfer, and if so, how and when. Nobody can do this for you - you need to do it for yourself.
Sorry I'm just panicking I'm having a hard time here and to hear that it might not even be an option to transfer to another uni is pretty worrying as I think I'd rather drop out of uni all together than stick here and wait for another yr or so.

Student services did say it would be possible to transfer, I had a conversation with her for about an hr and she sent me an email including all the organisations I would need to contact if I wish to transfer (e.g. student accomodation/student finance etc)

Yes I'm planning to ring admissions for my course at the uni I would like to transfer to.

Thanks both of you for your help.
Sorry I'm just panicking I'm having a hard time here and to hear that it might not even be an option to transfer to another uni is pretty worrying as I think I'd rather drop out of uni all together than stick here and wait for another yr or so.

Student services did say it would be possible to transfer, I had a conversation with her for about an hr and she sent me an email including all the organisations I would need to contact if I wish to transfer (e.g. student accomodation/student finance etc)

Yes I'm planning to ring admissions for my course at the uni I would like to transfer to.

It sounds like she thought you meant complete this year of your course at your current uni and continue your second year at the new university. Because starting at a new university at first year is not considered a transfer, it's considered a drop out and new start.

Good luck with it.
Reply 18

I think it would also be a good idea to go back to your Student Services contact and just clarify the points we've raised - actually ask specifically whether they meant that you could transfer mid-year. You are clearly sure that this is what they meant, so you need to confirm/refute this before contacting your target uni.

Take a breath and try to keep calm - easier said than done at the moment, I know. You need as clear a head as possible to get things straight. Good luck - and remember that no matter how bad things feel at the moment, they *will* improve. There's every likelihood that life will be much better this time next year.

Quick Reply

Latest