The Student Room Group

What do I Need to take for A Level to do computer science at Oxbridge/Imperial?

I can take up to about 4 A levels. I already know I will most likely need Maths and Further maths, Physics, but what do I take as well Chemistry? or Computer Science?
I would preferable like to do Computer Science at Oxbridge/Imperial
Thank you for all advice given!
Reply 1
Computer science, for top unis would benefit you the most, but Chemistry is still a great subject
Reply 2
Original post by Dabo_26
Computer science, for top unis would benefit you the most, but Chemistry is still a great subject

So Do you think I Should take Computer Science instead of Chemistry
Reply 3
Yes.
Reply 4
Original post by Dabo_26
Yes.

What did you take?
Reply 5
Well compsci is not available as an A Level in my school. I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and Biology for A2, I took Maths FM Bio, chem and Physics for AS.
Reply 6
Original post by Dabo_26
Well compsci is not available as an A Level in my school. I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and Biology for A2, I took Maths FM Bio, chem and Physics for AS.

Are you going to take Computer science for uni?
Reply 7
No, I wanted to but then I realised I was at a disadvantage when I wasn;t doing computer science as A Level. I am doing Maths and Econ at uni
Reply 8
Chemistry is ****ing hard and not really gonna help you in Computer Science (not even with the hardware)
- do Computer Science because the first year of the degree is basically A-level Computing so you'll have that advantage :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by z33
Chemistry is ****ing hard and not really gonna help you in Computer Science (not even with the hardware)
- do Computer Science because the first year of the degree is basically A-level Computing so you'll have that advantage :wink:

Spoiler

Thank You!
Original post by Dabo_26
No, I wanted to but then I realised I was at a disadvantage when I wasn;t doing computer science as A Level. I am doing Maths and Econ at uni

LOOOOOOL. You don't even need CS at GCSE or A-level man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This information is on the universities websites. You need maths and a science (usually physics). They can't say that further maths is necessary, because not all schools offer it, but it is highly desirable. After maths, FM and physics your fourth subject doesn't really matter. AS/A-level computer science is certainly not necessary, and might actually be less desirable than chemistry. Quote from Cambridge's website: "The newer Computing A-Levels resemble much of what we teach in our first year, so it is worth remembering that studying the A-Level will currently result in repetition of material at University. Some students (and Directors of Studies) therefore prefer to broaden their horizons and study related subjects such as an extra science."

As long as you have double maths and physics, the fourth subject is fairly irrelevant. Most applicants will probably take either chemistry or computing, and either of those is fine, but other subjects like English literature, economics and music (to pick three at random) would be equally good, and a less traditional subject like PE or health and social care wouldn't put you at a substantial disadvantage.

Do whatever you enjoy most and are best at.
1. Computer Science/Computing
2. Games Development
3. Maths
Maybe also Chem or Physics if your Sixth Form allows you to take 4 or 5 subjects and you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending