The Student Room Group

German student here. Ask me anything!

For those who are considering studying in Germany I am willing to help you with any questions you might have.

Edit: I just recognized I have a typo in the headline. Of course it is supposed to say "German student here. Ask me anything!"
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So i'm assuming you study in Germany?
Reply 2
Original post by TSR Mustafa
So i'm assuming you study in Germany?

Yes
Are you German?
Original post by Lagona
Yes

What's your take on the Paris attacks?
Reply 5
Original post by Al-farhan
Are you German?

Yes, I am
Original post by Lagona
Yes, I am

Do you pay tuition fees
Reply 7
Original post by TSR Mustafa
What's your take on the Paris attacks?

What happened in Paris is absolutely horrible, I have been sitting on front of the TV all night. I was so shocked. Regarding Germany it is a difficult situation. My country has given shelter to so many hundreds of thousands of people this year. And now with the news coming up that there might be a Syrian refugee as one of the perpetrators, I don´t know how this will affect the situation here. The government consisting of two quiet different parties doesn´t seem to find a common denominator lately on how they want to solve the situation here. One party wants to take more and the other one wants to take less. I think what happened in Paris might make some people quiet insecure, wondering if something like this could also happen here. I wouldn´t say I am super scared at the moment but I think I am gonna avoid crowded places and big events as far as possible for now. One politician said today that this could happen anytime here as well. So I would say the atmosphere is a bit tense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Al-farhan
Do you pay tuition fees

Good question! :smile: No, we don´t have any tuition fees in Germany. Education is free! We do have to pay a very small administrative fee every semester though, but it already includes a public transport ticket valid for the whole semester.
Wie gehts?
Do you think that studying in Germany will make you more or less employable when you go to work in the UK?
Reply 11
Original post by yasaminO_o
Wie gehts?

Gut und selbst?
Original post by Lagona
What happened in Paris is absolutely horrible, I have been sitting on front of the TV all night. I was so shocked. Regarding Germany it is a difficult situation. My country has given shelter to so many hundreds of thousands of people this year. And now with the news coming up that there might be a Syrian refugee as one of the perpetrators, I don´t know how this will affect the situation here. The government consisting of two quiet different parties doesn´t seem to find a common denominator lately on how they want to solve the situation here. One party wants to take more and the other one wants to take less. I think what happened in Paris might make some people quiet insecure, wondering if something like this could also happen here. I wouldn´t say I am super scared at the moment but I think I am gonna avoid crowded places and big events as far as possible. One politician said today that this could happen anytime here as well. So I would say the atmosphere is a bit tense.

Are you surprised by your country's intake of migrants? Personally , as a humanitarian i'm all for aiding those running from a conflict , but a lot of migrant workers have hopped on the bandwagon in search of a better life , rather than running from no life.
Reply 13
Hi im also planning to study in Germany
From your experience, how hard is it to get accepted by unis?
What was your application process?
What alevels did you do and what grades did you get?
And.. How is uni life?

Sorry for so many questions!:redface:
Original post by yasaminO_o
Wie gehts?

Danke, sehr gut. Was studierst du?
Original post by Lagona
Good question! :smile: No, we don´t have any tuition fees in Germany. Education is free! We do have to pay a very small administrative fee every semester though, but it already includes a public transport ticket valid for the whole semester.

Are all courses taught in German, or is there an English option
What is the fee status of EU students?
Reply 16
Original post by BlueBlueBells
Do you think that studying in Germany will make you more or less employable when you go to work in the UK?

I want to do my Master´s in the UK (and maybe also a PhD) first before applying for a job in the future. But if I want to work in the UK afterwards, I think it will be an advantage when applying for jobs. I have heard from so many people here in Germany (who are in higher management positions) that having studied in another country at some point has given them a huge advantage to their competitors when they applied for a job later. It has something to do with cultural competence and (foreign) language proficiency. I think that is understandable.
Original post by Lagona
I want to do my Master´s in the UK (and maybe also a PhD) first before applying for a job in the future. But if I want to work in the UK afterwards, I think it will be an advantage when applying for jobs. I have heard from so many people here in Germany (who are in higher management positions) that having studied in another country at some point has given them a huge advantage to their competitors when they applied for a job later. It has something to do with cultural competence and (foreign) language proficiency. I think that is understandable.

Would that work the other way around too, so if I studied here in the UK, then went to work in another country (I really want to work in a German speaking country, maybe Austria)?
Gefalt dir Wurst ? welche Art von Wurst ? :holmes:
Reply 19
Original post by ivy.98
Hi im also planning to study in Germany
From your experience, how hard is it to get accepted by unis?
What was your application process?
What alevels did you do and what grades did you get?
And.. How is uni life?

Sorry for so many questions!:redface:

Hey, that is nice to hear that you are planning to study in Germany. I think as everywhere the likelihood of being accepted to a course depends also on what kind of course it is. For medicine you need better grades than for engineering for example. But in general I can say from what I have seen my subjective impression is that it is more difficult to get into a course in the UK as it is in Germany. Maybe you can tell me what you want to study? The application process was not very difficult. First a registration online and then you print the few papers, attach a CV and a notarised copy of your school certificate and send it all via post to the university. I don´t know if this is still the process or if it is now all online, since I have applied four years ago. But the Germans like paper in general. In Germany for most of the courses all that counts are your grades, there are no interviews like in the UK in general (although there are some exemptions depending on the course). Since we don´t have A levels here, it is difficult to compare- We have the Abitur, where you have to do many subjects compulsory not like just 3 as in the UK and you can choose two subjects you do on advanced level with the grades counting more towards your overall grade. I chose English for example as one of those courses and I graduated with a good grade. Uni life in Germany is quiet good. Germany in general has super low food prices and it is quiet cheap to live here compared to the UK. German students are very open-minded and they love to prove their (more or less good) English skills. I think you won´t have a problem finding friends here. If you have any further questions don´t be afraid to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest