How to write an introduction to a problem question?

Watch this thread
celica
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm fairly clear on how to write an essay on a legal problem, but I have no idea how to do an introduction. The problem I'm answering has three different issues that I need to advise someone on: her marital status, her rights of occupancy and her ability to claim aliment. How would I go about writing an introduction for this? An example would really help, even if it doesn't relate to my example!
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Set out the individual legal questions in the order you wish to solve them. Don't waffle. I can't help help you with this question because I've never studied family law so I don't really know what the problems are, but the principles are the same.
yastyb
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by celica)
I'm fairly clear on how to write an essay on a legal problem, but I have no idea how to do an introduction. The problem I'm answering has three different issues that I need to advise someone on: her marital status, her rights of occupancy and her ability to claim aliment. How would I go about writing an introduction for this? An example would really help, even if it doesn't relate to my example!
In a problem question I wouldn't advise you dwell too long on crafting an introduction. This will take valuable time in your exam which could be spent on analysis. This however concerns most subjects at most universities, but there are exceptions of professors who do require an introduction in a problem question. A decent intro for most modules is to write something like:

The first issue relates to self-induced frustration. I will advise B on whether the contract in this regard has been frustrated and if not, what appropriate remedy will he be able to seek for breach of contract.

You then jump into the problem solving structure

This however does not pertain to legal essays where the introduction is key to having a high mark.

I believe the main difference between an essay and a problem question is that in the essay the question is generally quite brief which requires you to give the background in the introduction. In a problem question the question itself is the background and you will only need to give a brief mention of what area of law it relates to (maybe some background on the area of law if need be) and how you intend to answer it.

hope it helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (107)
42.97%
Not yet, but I will soon (41)
16.47%
No (101)
40.56%

Watched Threads