What to do about a crook of a teacher? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Righty-ho.

My philo teacher is the worst teacher ever - he doesn't have the appropriate philosophy expertise, he hardly ever turns up to lessons, and he lies so much.

He's got a bunch of my essays which I handed in about a month ago but he still didn't give them back. So what I did was last Monday I went to him to ask for them, he said he didn't have them on him, and that he'd post them to me. I said, what's the point in posting them when I'm going to be on school on wednesday for an exam. He had to give in and so he said that he'd put them in reception for me on Wednesday.

On Wednesday I went to reception and instead of getting my essays I got a note saying "I have posted your essays first thing today." I was really confused. Why post them instead of bringing them to school? Thursday passed, Friday passed, and Saturday passed with no sign of essays. One of my philosophy exams for which the essays were needed was on Monday (yesterday). After yesterday's exam, he ran off, and I had to go find him to ask him about my essays. He had prepared some elaborate excuses about how mail never arrives, and how once he posted something to iceland and it got there six months later. I asked him why he had posted them in the first place and he replied that he would forget to leave them at reception otherwise. (He didn't forget to leave the note).

Now it is Tuesday. He said that if I didn't receive them today that I should email him and tell him and he'd post me copies of my essays (he'd of course taken copies, he says). But my exam is soon and I doubt I will get them now.

What is going on?

What to do, what to do?
Cellardore
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, i get teachers like that. Have you thought about talking to the head?
One of our politics teachers confiscated a ball and told the guy that he had taken it from that he didn't have when he blatantly did and never gave it back...
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
complain, of course

youre in a2 though so it probably doesnt matter much, but i mean, if you start seeing your work in his name you know why
multiculture1
Report 14 years ago
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Righty-ho.

My philo teacher is the worst teacher ever - he doesn't have the appropriate philosophy expertise, he hardly ever turns up to lessons, and he lies so much.

He's got a bunch of my essays which I handed in about a month ago but he still didn't give them back. So what I did was last Monday I went to him to ask for them, he said he didn't have them on him, and that he'd post them to me. I said, what's the point in posting them when I'm going to be on school on wednesday for an exam. He had to give in and so he said that he'd put them in reception for me on Wednesday.

On Wednesday I went to reception and instead of getting my essays I got a note saying "I have posted your essays first thing today." I was really confused. Why post them instead of bringing them to school? Thursday passed, Friday passed, and Saturday passed with no sign of essays. One of my philosophy exams for which the essays were needed was on Monday (yesterday). After yesterday's exam, he ran off, and I had to go find him to ask him about my essays. He had prepared some elaborate excuses about how mail never arrives, and how once he posted something to iceland and it got there six months later. I asked him why he had posted them in the first place and he replied that he would forget to leave them at reception otherwise. (He didn't forget to leave the note).

Now it is Tuesday. He said that if I didn't receive them today that I should email him and tell him and he'd post me copies of my essays (he'd of course taken copies, he says). But my exam is soon and I doubt I will get them now.

What is going on?

What to do, what to do?
write a letter of complaint. Cc it to your head and to the governing body.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Well, I did actually write an email to him like he requested. I'll take it up further after exams are over.

You asked me to email you if I still hadn't received my work today. I have not received it.

As you must appreciate, this is very frustrating for me - I have already had a Descartes exam for which I needed my practice paper to look through (and accompanying mark scheme which you had promised).

I cannot see why you posted my papers in the first place and on top of that why they haven't got here yet. I have never had problems with my mail in the past and it seems rather unusual that this has happened.

As you must already know, our class has often felt let down by you many times in the past. To be let down again at such a crucial period in the last few weeks of school is really worrying for both me and my parents (with whom I have discussed the matter as a last resort).

I do hope I receive the things you promised soon. There will be no point if I receive them too late.

Thanks
Aylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
write a letter of complaint. Cc it to your head and to the governing body.

That's quite extreme! I agree you should complain though - go to whoever is his senior and see if they can do something about it. Sounds as if he's one of those teachers that just puts a tick at the end of work and pretend they've marked it though, so you'll probably have to do without before the exam.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Aylia)
That's quite extreme! I agree you should complain though - go to whoever is his senior and see if they can do something about it. Sounds as if he's one of those teachers that just puts a tick at the end of work and pretend they've marked it though, so you'll probably have to do without before the exam.
Why is it? It give the teacher the chance to explain his behaviour, and hopefull Adhsur will get her coursework back!

Bad teachers shouldn't be able to get away with shoddy practice. If it's an oversight then great. If it's more sinister it needs addressing.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aylia)
I don't care about the marking. I want my own work back.
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tell him that you NEED them for your exam, and that he is jeopardising your A Level.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Document exactly what has been said/done by who and when - create a timelog with dates and rough times. It makes making these sorts of complaints much more straightforward.

Then send it to him and ask him to agree to it's accuracy and add in any actions that you didn't include (ie he could mention the time he posted your essays and also which post box he sent them from).

If he is BSing about sending the papers off and has lost them (which I'm afraid looks likely) then he'll probably balk at being asked to state in writing that they've been sent and he has copies.

He's an adult and a teacher and should therefore know better than try to dodge responsibility. - showing him a timetable of events and getting him to agree it's accuracy will prbably be enough to scare him into either producing the papers or owning up.
multiculture1
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Document exactly what has been said/done by who and when - create a timelog with dates and rough times. It makes making these sorts of complaints much more straightforward.

Then send it to him and ask him to agree to it's accuracy and add in any actions that you didn't include (ie he could mention the time he posted your essays and also which post box he sent them from).

If he is BSing about sending the papers off and has lost them (which I'm afraid looks likely) then he'll probably balk at being asked to state in writing that they've been sent and he has copies.

He's an adult and a teacher and should therefore know better than try to dodge responsibility. - showing him a timetable of events and getting him to agree it's accuracy will prbably be enough to scare him into either producing the papers or owning up.
pencil queen's right
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Great idea. Let's see what happens next first though...
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Great idea. Let's see what happens next first though...
It's worth writing things down now though - it would only take 10 minutes or so and even if it doesn't go any further it's amazing how easy it is to loose track of dates/times and what was said etc etc after a few days (not to mention the slight distraction that is the exams)
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by multiculture1)
pencil queen's right
She knows it, and she loves it
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
She knows it, and she loves it
Watch it smarty pants or I'll start documenting you
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In year 7 I spent ages doing this music project about all the instruments in an orchestra and stuff and everyone else got theirs back and I didn't, then the teacher moved schools and I never got it back

I hold grudges
Cellardore
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by me!)
In year 7 I spent ages doing this music project about all the instruments in an orchestra and stuff and everyone else got theirs back and I didn't, then the teacher moved schools schools and I never got it back

I hold grudges
That happened in English, y9 where i did an essay on "the time machine" never got it back. I was quite proud of that essay, lol. Maybe she took it to publish it herself as her work :rolleyes:
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Cellardore)
That happened in English, y9 where i did an essay on "the time machine" never got it back. I was quite proud of that essay, lol. Maybe she took it to publish it herself as her work :rolleyes:
Why would a teacher want an 11/12 year old's work :confused:

Weirdo's

You could always sue!
Cellardore
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by me!)

Why would a teacher want an 11/12 year old's work :confused:

Weirdo's

You could always sue!

i was being sarcasric hence the :rolleyes: and yes i was pretty proud of that work and if i still had it i would have probably published it, lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (669)
80.7%
Leave (160)
19.3%

Watched Threads