The Student Room Group

What to

I started uni in septemeber. I really love and enjoy my course and my lectures but that is all I'm loving about uni at the moment. I'm not enjoying the other aspects, and i miss home and preferably want to go to uni closer to home. I've been thinking and..

I've got three ideas..
1. Would it be too late to transfer now?
2. If it is the same course, could I finish the first year and then carry on the degree in the uni closer to home in the second year.
3. Quiting uni now and starting over next year

I'm nervous because my brother restarted his course twice and then decided to quit and don't want mum to be disappointed in me by making the same mistakes.

I'm also 22 now, which means I'll be 23 if I have to start again next year and wondering if the uni I want to go to now wouldn't accept me for that reason.

Just so many things go through my head!
Reply 1
Original post by Katielouisaox
I've got three ideas..
1. Would it be too late to transfer now?

Yes. You will not be able to transfer mid-year.

2. If it is the same course, could I finish the first year and then carry on the degree in the uni closer to home in the second year.

Possibly - it would depend on your course content and your target uni. Whilst your first year usually doesn't count towards your final degree grade, the modules will give you a basic grounding for subjects in the second and third years. If the first year course contents are too different, then you may have to start the degree at your target uni, from the first year. You will have enough Student Finance entitlement to do that, but it means an additional year of student loan debt.

Also, if the course at your target uni is already full, they may not have room for you even if the courses are a good fit. The only way to know is to contact your target uni.

3. Quiting uni now and starting over next year

You could, but any Student Finance you've already had which would cover you after your leaving date, would gave to be repaid in a lump sum immediately. The tuition fee loan may also come under the same immeduate repayment terms, but the repayment date point and installments will be different. From an SF point of view, it might be better if you could complete the current year. You would then be repaying under the standard terms (deductions from wages if you earn over the £21,000 threshold).

If you leave mid-year, it's also probable that you're locked into your accommodation contract. You may have to pay for it for the entire academic year, even if you leave before that. Check with your uni/accommodation supplier/contract before making a decision.

I'm nervous because my brother restarted his course twice and then decided to quit and don't want mum to be disappointed in me by making the same mistakes.

You aren't your brother, so don't judge yourself by his standards. He did what was right for him, so you do what's right for you. By the same token, don't take what he did as "permission" to fail. It isn't automatically a good option for you just because he did it.

I'm also 22 now, which means I'll be 23 if I have to start again next year and wondering if the uni I want to go to now wouldn't accept me for that reason.

I started my undergrad degree aged 44. You'll be fine - there's no age discrimination. In fact, a bit more life experience can make the practical aspects of uni a little easier (feeding yourself, timekeeping, budgeting etc) and unis are aware of this.

Quick Reply

Latest