The Student Room Group

Is IB actually worth it?

All the people I know who do IB say that it looks so much better than A Levels etc etc but all the people I know that have been to/work at unis say that it really isn't looked on that well. They also say that IB students don't tend to do that well at uni, something to do with the way they have to study, so at uni they don't like it if you do IB.

These are conflicting views so I'm confused. (I do A Level btw, I just get IB kids calling us dumb for not doing it and saying how they are going to do so much better)
Reply 1
I think personally that both are difficult in a sense, as IB is mostly for people who have no idea what they want to do in the future or are very all rounded in general (Or just good at everything.) I think being from an IB school, you will go through hell for two years and most people hate it, but come out with a broader mindset (which you probably already had since you did it) with volunteering etc from CAS, but on the other hand, my twin does A levels and although she got A stars in all her GCSEs, she hates english with a passion. She's one of the cleverest people I know but she prefers A levels as it challenges things she actually loves and allows to learn about what you care about (Also there are things like EPQ and volunteering you can do of your own good will). It all depends who you are as a person, if you love most/all subjects, if you know what you want to do etc. I'd say if you have no idea and are an all rounder go IB, if you know what you love and what you want to do specified to three subjects e.g. Chemistry etc, then do A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending