Arji1212
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to go onto studying Law at university and am currently in my AS levels. I am doing Psychology, Sociology, Politics and B-Tec business LVL 3 double award. can I go onto doing a Law degree with my chosen A levels
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the university but if you aren't interested in oxbridge then sure, as long as you get good grades.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arji1212)
I want to go onto studying Law at university and am currently in my AS levels. I am doing Psychology, Sociology, Politics and B-Tec business LVL 3 double award. can I go onto doing a Law degree with my chosen A levels
Unfortunately all of your chosen subjects are regarded as non-traditional subjects and because law is such a competitive course I would not aim for top 10-15. But surely you can get into uni given that your grades will meet the requirements. Just try your best
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Depends on the university but if you aren't interested in oxbridge then sure, as long as you get good grades.
That is a bit misleading, because unis like UCL, KCL, LSE, Nottingham, Sheffield and many more top ones operate a list of preferred subjects none of which OP does. However, it is still possible to get into a "good" uni.
Arji1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0123456543210)
Unfortunately all of your chosen subjects are regarded as non-traditional subjects and because law is such a competitive course I would not aim for top 10-15. But surely you can get into uni given that your grades will meet the requirements. Just try your best
can you please explain what is meant by ''non traditional subjects'' and thanks for the reply.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is a bit misleading, because unis like UCL, KCL, LSE, Nottingham, Sheffield and many more top ones operate a list of preferred subjects none of which OP does. However, it is still possible to get into a "good" uni.
That's why I said it depends on the university.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can you please explain what is meant by ''non traditional subjects'' and thanks for the reply.
It very depends on individual unis, for example: majority (NOT ALL) universities in the Russell Group operate a list of preferred subjects ie. traditional ones, eg. mathematics, economics, physics, english, history etc. You can check those on the uni's website. However, some universities don't- Liverpool and Manchester just to name few. Some universities classify subjects into 3 categories http://www.law.leeds.ac.uk/undergrad...ns-information Leeds considers your subjects good, however LSE and other top London unis don't. So really, as long as you don't aim for top 10, you will be fine.
Arji1212
Rep:
?
It very depends on individual unis, for example: majority (NOT ALL) universities in the Russell Group operate a list of preferred subjects ie. traditional ones, eg. mathematics, economics, physics, english, history etc. You can check those on the uni's website. However, some universities don't- Liverpool and Manchester just to name few. Some universities classify subjects into 3 categories http://www.law.leeds.ac.uk/undergrad...ns-information Leeds considers your subjects good, however LSE and other top London unis don't. So really, as long as you don't aim for top 10, you will be fine.
so I should be able to get into a good Uni as long as i get good grades and apply for leeds?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
so I should be able to get into a good Uni as long as i get good grades and apply for leeds?
Yea, many decent universities consider your subjects good or don't care at all, not just leeds. But, maybe you shouldn't aim for Durham and top London ones as they tend to be very picky. Get good grades, aim high (but not too high) and good luck!
Arji1212
Rep:
?
thanks for the advice. I wish i went with my gut when choosing my A levels instead of my sisters. Politics and Business was my idea but psychology and sociology was hers. I was originally gonna do Maths, economics, politics and business
Wrf95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
this isn't true at all. As long as you get AAA-AAB you can get into any RG uni with those subjects, alongside a good personal statement. The only one that would likely discourage your subjects is LSE, but to say you shouldn't aim for top 15 is completely ridiculous, please ignore that! Good luck on your application!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wrf95)
this isn't true at all. As long as you get AAA-AAB you can get into any RG uni with those subjects, alongside a good personal statement. The only one that would likely discourage your subjects is LSE, but to say you shouldn't aim for top 15 is completely ridiculous, please ignore that! Good luck on your application!
Top 10-15 universities for law include Nottingham, Durham, LSE, KCL etc. and such universities heavily scrutinise the choice of a-levels.
ChuckHades
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Top 10-15 universities for law include Nottingham, Durham, LSE, KCL etc. and such universities heavily scrutinise the choice of a-levels.
Neither KCL, Durham, nor Nottingham make any reference to preferred subjects on their LLB Law page. Unless you're seeing something I'm not (which is possible - sometimes these things are well-hidden), these unis do not heavily scrutinise A Level choice.

OP, to my knowledge the only unis that make reference to A Level choices are LSE, UCL, Sheffield, and Oxbridge. For Law specifically there may be more (Leeds being one of them), but Psychology, Sociology and Politics are not "blacklisted" or "soft" subjects by any stretch of the imagination. You'll be fine at most of the Russell Group with an otherwise strong application.

Generally speaking, unis are a lot more transparent than they used to be; when they say they have no preference, they mean it. So long as the rest of your application is competitive, you'll be fine. Your grades, LNAT score, and Personal Statement matter considerably more than subject choice. Just be advised that it will be a chink in your application at top unis (NB, this does not mean you will be rejected.)
Wrf95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This isn't true... sure Oxbridge may be picky, but as long as you have exceeded in these subjects it makes little difference and wouldn't stop you from reading Law. To tell someone not to apply to top 15 universities because you are misinformed is not fair. Psychology and Politics are by no way 'soft', however sociology may be seen as that. However, this would not prevent you from doing Law at university at all, as I am currently studying at university, as have many of my friends - who are all at 'top 10's and have all done a 'soft' subject.
Arji1212
Rep:
?
Oh really? Well thank you for that. But will the B tec in business stop me from persuing a career in law?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh really? Well thank you for that. But will the B tec in business stop me from persuing a career in law?
No one will care as long as you got 3 full A-levels. Usually at least AAB, because that is what most solicitor firms ask for. Who would you like to qualify as?
Arji1212
Rep:
?
No one will care as long as you got 3 full A-levels. Usually at least AAB, because that is what most solicitor firms ask for. Who would you like to qualify as?
I would like to qualify as a barrister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would like to qualify as a barrister
That may be tough without an Oxbridge degree, but possible, so don't give up on your dreams and work hard to achieve your best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (49)
28.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.24%
No I am happy with my choice (95)
55.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.06%

Watched Threads