The Student Room Group

It's understandable that people care more about Paris than other countries

Many people in the UK have been to Paris.

Many of us have friends or family there.

France shares the same enlightened values as us, and many of us who hold those values dear feel upset to see them attacked.

Paris is a city much like London, and these attacks heighten our concern that something similar could happen here.

With the current refugee crisis and the increasing popularity of far-right parties across Europe, we realize this could be a watershed moment.

We are used to hearing about attacks happening in Africa and the Middle East.

We have a greater connection with the French people.

The heightening of security will affect the UK.

We are aware that it is likely that more attacks are on their way.

The attacks in Beirut and Kenya must not be ignored, but it's quite sad that some people feel the need to make people feel guilty for caring more about Paris than these other attacks. People are just acting completely naturally. I think the support for Paris has been a great thing.
Reply 1
Original post by KingBradly

Many people in the UK have been to Paris.

Many of us have friends or family there.

France shares the same enlightened values as us, and many of us who hold those values dear feel upset to see them attacked.

Paris is a city much like London, and these attacks heighten our concern that something similar could happen here.

With the current refugee crisis and the increasing popularity of far-right parties across Europe, we realize this could be a watershed moment.

We are used to hearing about attacks happening in Africa and the Middle East.

We have a greater connection with the French people.

The heightening of security will affect the UK.

We are aware that it is likely that more attacks are on their way.

The attacks in Beirut and Kenya must not be ignored, but it's quite sad that some people feel the need to make people feel guilty for caring more about Paris than these other attacks. People are just acting completely naturally. I think the support for Paris has been a great thing.

I don't feel guilty about it at all. I live in a guilt free zone.
The amount of moral high-horsers that have popped up on social media in the past day is staggering. Just another attempt to make this all about themselves.
Agree with your points!
Original post by VV Cephei A
The amount of moral high-horsers that have popped up on social media in the past day is staggering. Just another attempt to make this all about themselves.

Exactly. Can people not mourn the attacks in Paris without being attacked and berated?

It's ironic too that despite the complaining, the attacks in Paris have subsequently probably gathered more awareness for the attacks in Nigeria and Lebanon than if the Parisian attacks never took place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending