Turn on thread page Beta

AQA gcse calculator paper higher watch

ReputationRep:
    this thread can be for the AQA paper. how did everyone find the paper. what answer did you get for the quadrilateral question at the end? the one where you had to find the perimeter.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what I got, but I used split it in half and did the a² + b² = c² thing with both triangles, and it worked

For one question near the end, I got 7.7... can't remember which one though

Overall I thought the questions were quite easy.. there were some nasty ones, like the simultaneous equations, but even towards the end with all the questions worth 5 & 6 marks - I managed to do them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomNotts)
    I can't remember what I got, but I used split it in half and did the a² + b² = c² thing with both triangles, and it worked

For one question near the end, I got 7.7... can't remember which one though

Overall I thought the questions were quite easy.. there were some nasty ones, like the simultaneous equations, but even towards the end with all the questions worth 5 & 6 marks - I managed to do them!
    7.7 was for the spheres' radius in the lst questions. for the simultaneou equations i got y=3, x=1, and y=3/2, x=-2/3.
    for the quadrilaterla on, i used the cosine rule first and then pythag on the second triangle. perimeter was 29.84 i tihnk

ReputationRep:
    does nobody else do gcse AQA maths?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was very impresed witht that exam!

The only questions I struggled with were the simultaneous equation (only answered half), the quadrilateral (only answered half)and the spehres question (I did get an answer though which worked out).

ReputationRep:
    Ifound the paper extremely easy! except for one question that i'm not sure about.
    You were given a histogram n told that 60 people had a heart rate of less than 50/min, how many people had voer 90/min.

I said that because u werent given a scale for frequency density i used the scale 1,2,3,4 (for every 5 small squares or 1 big square) i firstly worked out how many people (using this scale) would have a heart rate of less than 50, the answer was 36. I then said that 60?36 is 1.66667 so that 36 x 1.66667 gives the right answer.

I then loked at the over 90 and worked out (using the scale) that the number of people would be 66 but then i times by 1.6667 because fo what it said about 60 people being under 50. I came up with the answer 110. Can anybody confirm/deny my reasoning/final answer? 2 clever people fom my school got 66 but im 99% convinced that i'm right... i wasn't the only one to get 110 thought!

ReputationRep:
    Ifound the paper extremely easy! except for one question that i'm not sure about.
    You were given a histogram n told that 60 people had a heart rate of less than 50/min, how many people had voer 90/min.

I said that because u werent given a scale for frequency density i used the scale 1,2,3,4 (for every 5 small squares or 1 big square) i firstly worked out how many people (using this scale) would have a heart rate of less than 50, the answer was 36. I then said that 60?36 is 1.66667 so that 36 x 1.66667 gives the right answer.

I then loked at the over 90 and worked out (using the scale) that the number of people would be 66 but then i times by 1.6667 because fo what it said about 60 people being under 50. I came up with the answer 110. Can anybody confirm/deny my reasoning/final answer? 2 clever people fom my school got 66 but im 99% convinced that i'm right... i wasn't the only one to get 110 thought!

I was a bit put off by the arangement of the cos rule in the formula sheet because last time it was given in the other form so i spent ages (10 minutes)learning the alternative form just to find that i'd learnt the wrong one, luckily it's easy to change the subj. of the formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielf90)

What I did:

Counting the amount of squares for 50 and under. Got the answer 90. So figured for every 3 squares it standed for 2 people. So then I added all the squares up for 60 and over (or whatever it was) and got 165. I divided this by 3 and times it by 2 and got 110!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it was 110

I got 7.7 for the sphere question

Did anyone get (root12 +3)/3 for the rational denominator question?

The segment of the circle was not so much difficult, but there were loads of places where mistakes could be made. Me and most other ppl at my school got 5.something

Did everyone use pythag on the double-cone are question, to find the slant-heights??

Did anyone get five thousand and something for the Alpha Centuri question?

Thats all I can remember!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klugy)
    yeah, it was 110

The segment of the circle was not so much difficult, but there were loads of places where mistakes could be made. Me and most other ppl at my school got 5.something

Did everyone use pythag on the double-cone are question, to find the slant-heights??

for the rationalising one the answer was ((2root3)+ 3)/3, which is root 12 + 3 /12 but simplified

i got 5. something for the segment.
    i used pythag as well

for the alpha centauri one i got 1580 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    for the rationalising one the answer was ((2root3)+ 3)/3, which is root 12 + 3 /12 but simplified

i got 5. something for the segment.
    i used pythag as well

for the alpha centauri one i got 1580 days
    Good Good! I thought that root12 was simpler that 2oot three but i suppose you're right. I shouldn;t loose a mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klugy)
    yeah, it was 110

I got the same as you for everything except rationalising the denominator.

it was 2+/3 (/=root)
    ........../3

so u did (2+/3)x(/3)
    ................./3x/3

this = 6.46
    ............3 ...........which is 2.15
    what confused me was whether to multiply /3x/3 and then add 2 (which would have been 5) or (2+/3)x/3, i think it's the second one... not sure thought it was quite tricky, either way i'llonly lose one mark or you'll all lose one mark

Segment of a circle:
    1)use cos rule to find the angle (when you draw in the other radius)
    2)angle/360 x100 gives % of the circle
    3)(%age of circle)% of pi r^2
    this gives you the whole segment
    4)find the area of the triangle using 1/2absinC

then subtract your answer to part 4 from part 3 and theres your answer

1 question and it was a simple one but... where u were asked to draw a histogram, it said how many people were there over 65?
    the scale went to 70 so said thats 6 years and if each year has 20 people in it (from frequency density) then the answer is 120, is this right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    What I did:
    Counting the amount of squares for 50 and under. Got the answer 90. So figured for every 3 squares it standed for 2 people. So then I added all the squares up for 60 and over (or whatever it was) and got 165. I divided this by 3 and times it by 2 and got 110!
    That's what I did I hate histograms, can't do them at all, but managed to get through it

The denominator question threw me. It was that and the simultaneous equations that were nasty..

(Original post by klugy)
    Yep And for once, there was a formula in the inside cover which was useful!!

The circle segment one confused me at the start, but then I realised how easy it actually was!!
    Edit: didn't do it the way mentioned above, but it still worked

Alpha Centuri... ok, there were 3 questions that I couldn't do

ReputationRep:
    Anybody feel like verifying/disproving/just answering the rationalising denominator

By the way im presuming that every body is in agreement that paper 2 was much easier than paper 1???

ReputationRep:
    Anybody feel like verifying/disproving/just answering the rationalising denominator

By the way im presuming that every body is in agreement that paper 2 was much easier than paper 1???
    **** yes! The rationalising denominator got me. But bar a couple of questions, I thought it was rather easy.

What other answers did you guys get?

ReputationRep:

the answer is definitely ((2 root3) +3) / 3
    checked it on my calculator three times in the exam

ReputationRep:
    the answer is definitely ((2 root3) +3) / 3
    checked it on my calculator three times in the exam
    that's right but... (2root3)+3 = 6.46 and it said simplify as much as possible so 6.46/3 = 2.15

Because its on a calc. paper you dont leave it in surd form

ReputationRep:
    that's right but... (2root3)+3 = 6.46 and it said simplify as much as possible so 6.46/3 = 2.15

Because its on a calc. paper you dont leave it in surd form
    the question was to rationalise the thing from the original. adn anyway, working it out as a number wont be the same as the surd.

ReputationRep:
    the question was to rationalise the thing from the original. adn anyway, working it out as a number wont be the same as the surd.
    I don't quite understand that because 2.15 = ((2root3)+3)/3, the question said simplify as much as possible and because it's a calculator paper, 2.15 is in a simpler form than ((2root3)+3)/3 imo

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand that because 2.15 = ((2root3)+3)/3, the question said simplify as much as possible and because it's a calculator paper, 2.15 is in a simpler form than ((2root3)+3)/3 imo
    but 2.15 isnt the same as the surd

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.