The Student Room Group

COMP4 Project 2015/16

Hi, guys i didnt see a thread for the comp4 project on tsr, so i thought i would start one. What are you guy doing for your project? I am making a revision tool which uses a database (fully programmed) and will use encryption for passwords and will create dynamic runtime objects. Does this sound complex? Lets discuss...

Edit: Thats not all my program will do.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey
I was also about to start a thread about this since it seems not too many people are actually taking the course this year
I'm also doing a revision tool except for a KS2 student, I was hoping to incorporate a score based system to make it seem more complex
How are you implementing databases into your revision tool?
Original post by DuyHoang
Hey
I was also about to start a thread about this since it seems not too many people are actually taking the course this year
I'm also doing a revision tool except for a KS2 student, I was hoping to incorporate a score based system to make it seem more complex
How are you implementing databases into your revision tool?

I'm using databases to store logins for student users as well as a store for questions and answers which will be extracted and displayed in the program.

Have you started your practical solution yet?
Alot of my peers are still on their design and some still are doing the analysis!
Reply 3
Original post by 1TrueMeaning
I'm using databases to store logins for student users as well as a store for questions and answers which will be extracted and displayed in the program.

Have you started your practical solution yet?
Alot of my peers are still on their design and some still are doing the analysis!

My program is for one specific user because of the problem statement, so I'm using a score based system to track results in databases.

I'm still on design as there's been no core 4 focus at my college
Which language are you using?
Original post by DuyHoang
My program is for one specific user because of the problem statement, so I'm using a score based system to track results in databases.

I'm still on design as there's been no core 4 focus at my college
Which language are you using?

VB.net. Used that for AS so might as well use it again. What about you?
Reply 5
Python
Hey guys.

I'm doing the project.
As an overview its a program for fishery management. It uses a mysql database for storing a fair bit of data as my program has 3 or 4 main functions. Arguably two of them when coupled separately with the user account function could pass as a project of their own :smile: GUI of course.

I've finished the analysis. Well, it may need a little tweak here and there but that's nothing. I was going to enjoy christmas but then i remembered time is short so i best get on with this project. Just started coding today. Although, i've had my database set up for a couple of weeks now. I think i've spent enough time thinking about my project and creating algorithms I will be able to get through the coding quite quickly. But i haven't started any actual documentation for the design yet. Its all rough work.

Looking through some of the exemplars and i can see that some students "screenshots" were literally screenshots of their final project. How is that designing something? I hand drew all 20 something screens for my program with every last detail so that now its time to code I don't have to think as hard. I suppose im trying to say, the semantics of the program have already been done, just doing the syntax, which is easy when you have the design screenshots in front of you. I really don't know how people can code a whole project blind.

Ill keep an eye on this thread. Good luck everyone
Original post by Bern Herkins
Hey guys.

I'm doing the project.
As an overview its a program for fishery management. It uses a mysql database for storing a fair bit of data as my program has 3 or 4 main functions. Arguably two of them when coupled separately with the user account function could pass as a project of their own :smile: GUI of course.

I've finished the analysis. Well, it may need a little tweak here and there but that's nothing. I was going to enjoy christmas but then i remembered time is short so i best get on with this project. Just started coding today. Although, i've had my database set up for a couple of weeks now. I think i've spent enough time thinking about my project and creating algorithms I will be able to get through the coding quite quickly. But i haven't started any actual documentation for the design yet. Its all rough work.

Looking through some of the exemplars and i can see that some students "screenshots" were literally screenshots of their final project. How is that designing something? I hand drew all 20 something screens for my program with every last detail so that now its time to code I don't have to think as hard. I suppose im trying to say, the semantics of the program have already been done, just doing the syntax, which is easy when you have the design screenshots in front of you. I really don't know how people can code a whole project blind.

Ill keep an eye on this thread. Good luck everyone

Hi,

I tried using MySQL but I couldn't manage to find a server to host my database, which server are you using? I heard that you can use MySQL community server, but i can't get that to work, as a result I just stuck to Access.
Original post by 1TrueMeaning
Hi,

I tried using MySQL but I couldn't manage to find a server to host my database, which server are you using? I heard that you can use MySQL community server, but i can't get that to work, as a result I just stuck to Access.

Wamp. I uses local host as the server
Reply 9
This coursework has made me so depressed, I really hate it XD
Original post by Sabbzy221
This coursework has made me so depressed, I really hate it XD

How is it goin for you ? And wondering when is the deadline?
Original post by AQATrolledMe
How is it goin for you ? And wondering when is the deadline?

I'm on page 251 however my program isn't complex and I haven't really done my write up to the best quality. My analysis and design are good according to my teacher however over Easter I've done a lot more which I feel isn't good enough. Still got testing and the appraisal to do and the deadline is 15th May I believe. This coursework has honestly ruined my life and I haven't left the house in two weeks! Thankfully this is the last time I have to do computing :biggrin: :u: How is yours going?
Lol, i cant believe you wrote that many pages is their a limit to it ?
Also, what kind of program did you make :O?

I messed up on mine, apparently i spent half a year completing intro, investigation and design stage. Im tryna finish of my evalution and documentation ASAP
Original post by AQATrolledMe
Lol, i cant believe you wrote that many pages is their a limit to it ?
Also, what kind of program did you make :O?

I messed up on mine, apparently i spent half a year completing intro, investigation and design stage. Im tryna finish of my evalution and documentation ASAP

I made a simple POS system using asp.net but it only has SQL and the same things are repeated over and over again. The only reason why it's so long is because the coding for the design is 150 pages. I hope there isn't a limit -:frown: I only started my project recently and luckily got the help of my cousin who has a computing degree. I wish you all the best with your coursework man, just try your best to get as much done :smile:
Original post by Sabbzy221
I made a simple POS system using asp.net but it only has SQL and the same things are repeated over and over again. The only reason why it's so long is because the coding for the design is 150 pages. I hope there isn't a limit -:frown: I only started my project recently and luckily got the help of my cousin who has a computing degree. I wish you all the best with your coursework man, just try your best to get as much done :smile:

Lol im in situation coding and design takes too many space. Thanks ! and gl to u man :smile:
I'm making an application to teach users HTML and CSS, but also allows teachers to create homework and upload them so they can be accessed by students. I use MySQL to store user details, class details, homework details and homework results. I was wondering if any of you have a marks grid/ scheme for some guidance and if so please could I have a copy.
I have a copy of the project log that is attached to the front of the coursework when it is marked, it lists every section. Would that be useful for you?
Yeah thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Tigerwhoops
Yeah thanks :biggrin:

No problem, ill try to get it to you tomorrow :smile: Casually celebrating my birthday right now 😂
Is it the PRO form, if so I have just found it on my college moodle :biggrin: and oh, Well happy birthday, hope you've had a good day :smile: and you shouldn't be on here on your birthday, go enjoy it XD

Quick Reply

Latest