The Student Room Group

Best A levels for a nursing degree (child)

So I want to be a paediatric nurse and do a children's nursing degree. However, I'm not sure what A levels would be better for me. These are my options: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Sociology or Psychology. As far as I know, Biology is a must so I'm definitely doing biology. Is Chemistry necessary? I think it would be too hard for me but if it's required, I'll do it. Also, I enjoy social sciences and learning about human behaviour but which would be better: Sociology or Psychology? Or should I do both? I also enjoy maths but I don't want to do it if it's too hard. Thank you very much for your response because I really need help! xxx
Biology is definitely a great one to take! Chemistry would put you in a good position but I don't think its essential at all so don't feel any pressure to take it. Either psychology or sociology would be great to take, I'd suggest you have a look at the specification for both online and decide from there - and if you find you think you'd enjoy both, go for it! Maths is difficult (or at least from what I've heard from my friends who take it!) but if you enjoy it its definitely worth considering. Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lola16
So I want to be a paediatric nurse and do a children's nursing degree. However, I'm not sure what A levels would be better for me. These are my options: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Sociology or Psychology. As far as I know, Biology is a must so I'm definitely doing biology. Is Chemistry necessary? I think it would be too hard for me but if it's required, I'll do it. Also, I enjoy social sciences and learning about human behaviour but which would be better: Sociology or Psychology? Or should I do both? I also enjoy maths but I don't want to do it if it's too hard. Thank you very much for your response because I really need help! xxx

I'm in my first year of A levels and I'm also wanting to do children's nursing at uni! I'm studying biology, psychology, sociology and philosophy. University's like science and social sciences so it isn't necessary to take chemistry and maths of you did not want to. I love sociology and psychology, they're both really interesting. There are overlaps in research methods for both which is very handy when it comes to revision! If you ever need any help with anything feel free to message me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do psychology with biology
I would suggest that you only forgo chemistry if you're sure that children's nursing is all you want to do. If I was in your position, I'd take chemistry just to keep my options open -- taking it wouldn't jeopardise my chances for nursing while opening up other fields like dentistry and medicine should I wish to go into those later on. But only take it if you think you could cope. It's better to have higher grades in subjects you like than have lower grades in subjects you don't. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Hydeman
I would suggest that you only forgo chemistry if you're sure that children's nursing is all you want to do. If I was in your position, I'd take chemistry just to keep my options open -- taking it wouldn't jeopardise my chances for nursing while opening up other fields like dentistry and medicine should I wish to go into those later on. But only take it if you think you could cope. It's better to have higher grades in subjects you like than have lower grades in subjects you don't. :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by niltiac125
Biology is definitely a great one to take! Chemistry would put you in a good position but I don't think its essential at all so don't feel any pressure to take it. Either psychology or sociology would be great to take, I'd suggest you have a look at the specification for both online and decide from there - and if you find you think you'd enjoy both, go for it! Maths is difficult (or at least from what I've heard from my friends who take it!) but if you enjoy it its definitely worth considering. Good luck :smile:

Great! Thank you!!!
Reply 7
Original post by elise68
I'm in my first year of A levels and I'm also wanting to do children's nursing at uni! I'm studying biology, psychology, sociology and philosophy. University's like science and social sciences so it isn't necessary to take chemistry and maths of you did not want to. I love sociology and psychology, they're both really interesting. There are overlaps in research methods for both which is very handy when it comes to revision! If you ever need any help with anything feel free to message me!

Thank you! You really helped me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobil
I started with bio, psych and soc at AS level. Went down to just psych and soc though for A2. I've still been accepted to do mental health nursing so don't feel pressured to do lots of sciences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lola16

Why not do Health and social care L3?
I'm doing my first year of a levels and want to be a children's nurse, I'm doing biology, psychology, health and social care and geography. I know geography isn't needed but I enjoy the subject and wanted to keep my options open just in case. See if your sixth form does health and social as that is a good one for going into nursing. Also don't do a subject if you don't enjoy it as you will not do as well! Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending