yhnah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm trying to find a statistical test that I can use to assess the validity of two different sets of results, both of which I have calculated a mean for, produced by the same method.

Would standard deviation work? Or would I have to use a different method.

Thanks for any help!
hknobody
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Validity refers to whether a study measures or examines what it is trying to measure or examine, if the experiment is carefully controlled, and fits the scientific method, then it is valid.

So do you mean variability? Standard deviation shows the variability but is not a statistical test.

If you are trying to compare the mean between two groups of data, you need t-test. It shows whether the mean of two groups of data is significantly different.
therecovery
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hknobody)
Validity refers to whether a study measures or examines what it is trying to measure or examine, if the experiment is carefully controlled, and fits the scientific method, then it is valid.
In addition, try not to get validity and accuracy confused. As explained above, validity refers to the influence of experimental conduction on results and accuracy is how close the experimental results is to the predicted or actual results(if the experiment was done earlier)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1800913

helps as well^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.56%
I'm not sure (46)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.69%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (513)
48.81%

Watched Threads