Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BUS5W - Thursday 17th June watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any revision tips for this paper? I know it’s synoptic, so I've been going over past paper questions and looking through all the module specifications.

What revision techniques are you using?

ReputationRep:
    Just going through past papers really... revising what the ratios mean... it's difficult to revise for! Just need to tweak the structure really!

ReputationRep:
    which ratios are you revisin? is it just me or do you think it is a bit silly having unit 5 as synoptic when we still got unit 6 to go or am i wrong? are they both synoptic?

ReputationRep:
    Unit 6 is synoptic by nature. Alot of your analysis will need to draw from AMOP (Accounting, Marketing, Operations, People)... so when talking about ways of increasing international competitiveness, you may look at internal factors:

Marketing - promotion, creating brand loyalty to increase customer base
    People - training staff, to increase motivation, thus increasing productivity
    Operations - new production methods like JIT to increase effiiciency

But then looking at external factors like macro-economic variables and government legislation would be derived from the actual Unit 6 syllabus.

Hope thats clear for you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Unit 6 is synoptic by nature. Alot of your analysis will need to draw from AMOP (Accounting, Marketing, Operations, People)... so when talking about ways of increasing international competitiveness, you may look at internal factors:

Marketing - promotion, creating brand loyalty to increase customer base
    People - training staff, to increase motivation, thus increasing productivity
    Operations - new production methods like JIT to increase effiiciency

But then looking at external factors like macro-economic variables and government legislation would be derived from the actual Unit 6 syllabus.

Hope thats clear for you...
    yeah, when Im answering the essays Im gonna go through all the modules like above, just like writing a relevant paragraph on each one and how the various business stakeholders are affected by the thing that is going on. I dont think the last two exams require any depth - weve already been tested on that at AS. I think theyre just looking for a very broad knowledge and understanding of the whole course. The key to the last two papers though is EVALUATION. Im gonna like, make a judgement or evaluation at the end of every paragraph, just to try and make sure I get those eval. marks.

ReputationRep:
    AQA Module five, do any of you guys no much on the business report?
    Web sites etc so i can get extra information! its really head.lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Phillip Allan Updates revision book on Unit 5 that I would scan in... if I had a printer! I will write out some stuff on it tomorrow though - as thast will aid my revision too.

ReputationRep:
    some revision tips/guidance or anything really for module 5 would be of great help. that phillip allan book is spose to be good! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smyth20)
    AQA Module five, do any of you guys no much on the business report?
    Web sites etc so i can get extra information! its really head.lol.
    I'm also quite stuck on what to include in the report and how it should be set out. Any help/notes would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going through ratios and worked out a gearing ratio for a balance sheet and the answer is 0.8, so how do I turn that figure into the ratio. We did ratios in October and I'm having trouble remembering now. I'm very worried about these exams.
    Also, can you only work out the depreciation of something after its been sold?

ReputationRep:
    0.8 is 80% which is highly geared. damn i hate gearing, stupid business studies confusing my mind!!!

You can work out depreciation from the expected value it will sell for I believe. I can't really remember though...thats unit 4 stuff and i did that in january.
    good luck with unit 5 guys, when is it? I don't have to do it, I did the corusework

ReputationRep:
    Let me get something straight, the first part of unit5 is based upon the appendix's involved, so you make calculations/ratio anaylsis comparing the data for and against then evaluate.

The second question (choice) involves including any range of any part of the syllabus including AS material, correct? As in not just those topics covered under unit5.

So alot of the calculations ratios etc done in unit4 re-occur in the first part of unit5, yes?

ReputationRep:
    We don't know... anything could come up. Ratios MIGHT.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any tips on how to remember the ratios?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sang)
    Let me get something straight, the first part of unit5 is based upon the appendix's involved, so you make calculations/ratio anaylsis comparing the data for and against then evaluate.

The second question (choice) involves including any range of any part of the syllabus including AS material, correct? As in not just those topics covered under unit5.

So alot of the calculations ratios etc done in unit4 re-occur in the first part of unit5, yes?
    what topics have you actually covered under unit 5? we did not cover nay units as such just covered those for unit 6 and treat this one as synoptic. which main topics are you revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessb)
    anyone got any tips on how to remember the ratios?
    Bloody ratios, theres loads. I just keep going over the little bad boys untill I remember them. Also do you know if we will have to calculate standard deviation in data range analysis

ReputationRep:
    i have never learnt standard deviation so i hope not, not in this exam anyway

ReputationRep:
    standard deviation is in all text books but no teacher i know in my area in the different schools/colleges taught it, i do stats so it ok for me if it does appear.

unit5 look at the exam papers, they are all based on figures at some stage, even if it give say absenteeism as a % use the formula and work back by times by number of staff to find amount of illnesses in given period things like that help as it shows you understand the topic then elaborate.

james u have this book ppl tell me is great, what does it actually say about unit5? it must test mainly A2 so learn these topics, but gives options to reference to AS. "Anything could come up" Yes but its not going to be totally based upon Unit1 is it, with questions on m-mix its going to have mainly A2 knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a good report writing format, for this paper

ReputationRep:
    To: xxx
    Date: mm/dd/yyyy

TITLE OF REPORT
    1. For
    2. Against
    3. Conclusions & Recommendations

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.