The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scrappy-coco
I'm not sure I would agree with that treatise on the Islamic role in developing science. Certainly the European role in developing chemistry, for example, was vastly underplayed. The direct influence of Greek philosophy (particularly Aristotle's) seemed to be burdened with the Islamic empire as the middle man, painting a different picture of its arrival in Europe. Though I can see that it was a defence of Islamic influence rather than a comparison with Europe so can't push these points too far.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly Europe contributed a lot to the development of chemistry, but yes, that wasn't the focus of what I was saying. Muslims and non muslims worked in conjunction to advance science, it wasn't a competition. The only difference is that scientific pursuit wasn't labelled heresy in the islamic world of the time when it would have been in europe.
Original post by SAhm95
no their not considered muslims cos they don't follow the quran

They do follow Qur'an.
Reply 382
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
All those things that you said are wrong mate. Disbelief, opposition, disobeying god's law does not lead to the death penalty, or any penalty.
Evidence?
Sura 5:33 - "The recompense of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and do mischief (fasad) in the land is only that they shall be killed"

"`Wage war' mentioned here means, oppose and contradict, and it includes disbelief, blocking roads and spreading fear in the fairways.Mischief in the land refers to various types of evil" - Ibn Kathir

"Fasad" describes a range of actions that involve rejection of god's law, moral corruption or civil disobedience.

When the muslim empire spread, did they kill all other religions simply because they werent muslims? No.
Any occupying power needs the native population to maintain the economy, so obviously they didn't kill them. They gave them the option of converting or paying the jizya tax.

You can see that today, all over the middle east, ancient churches are still here and christians still go. Any discrimination against them is illegal as it should be.
The Quran specifies that disbelievers are to be spared if they submit to Islam. If Christians or Jews (but not any other religion) submitted and payed the jizya, they could often continue practicing. It is easier to control an occupied population if you don't oppress them too hard.

In fact the christians helped the muslims during the immigration. The leader of the country who I believe was the high priest hid the muslims from the people who wanted to kill them, saving them.
What is this referring to?

My point is please don't say anything that is completely false.
I never do. It would be easy to disprove me if I did.
Original post by QE2
Sura 5:33 - "The recompense of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and do mischief (fasad) in the land is only that they shall be killed"

"`Wage war' mentioned here means, oppose and contradict, and it includes disbelief, blocking roads and spreading fear in the fairways.Mischief in the land refers to various types of evil" - Ibn Kathir

"Fasad" describes a range of actions that involve rejection of god's law, moral corruption or civil disobedience.

Any occupying power needs the native population to maintain the economy, so obviously they didn't kill them. They gave them the option of converting or paying the jizya tax.

The Quran specifies that disbelievers are to be spared if they submit to Islam. If Christians or Jews (but not any other religion) submitted and payed the jizya, they could often continue practicing. It is easier to control an occupied population if you don't oppress them too hard.

What is this referring to?

I never do. It would be easy to disprove me if I did.

Yayyy! You actually used quotes! Hold on I'll look it up now, and while I am, I was reffering to the begginning of Islam, when the first muslims migrated to the madina from mecca, but were being chased.
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
The only difference is that scientific pursuit wasn't labelled heresy in the islamic world of the time when it would have been in europe.

You'll have to be careful here of being too general. Unlike pantheistic religions, the universe was not to be worshipped - it was perfectly find to study it and try to understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
Original post by QE2
Where do you think the "violent Muslims" get their ideas from?
Apologists may argue that all the violent verses are taken out of context, misinterpreted, are no longer relevant, etc... but they are still in the Quran and so therefore as true as all the peaceful verses. So if a Muslim reads those verses and gets the idea that the Quran promotes violence - he is getting the idea from the Quran!

Also, I assume that you also claim that Islam does not promote peace either. Certain people bring peace into the religion.
So, if the behaviour of Muslims is determined by their previous character, of what use is Islam?

People need to think their glib platitudes through a little better.

Are you labeling me an "apologist"? I guess the answer you wanted me to say is "Muslims are all bad". In this case, I give a perfectly balanced answer and I'm getting plastered for it. Can't have an opinion these days without annoying some people :tongue:
Original post by QE2
Islam is the ideology as laid out in the Quran and sunnah. It is clearly defined and can be analysed and criticised.

Muslims are individuals who follow that ideology, and may differ in how they implement that ideology. They must be judged on their words and actions.

Indeed. No reasonable person with knowledge of the subject would claim that they are.

I see. Thank you for taking the time to explain :smile: I'm not as aware as I want to be when it comes to things like that.

I only added that last point because of my FB feed, some people are unfortunately still in that mindset. I am perhaps only aware of it myself because I study Sociology :smile:
Original post by QE2
So, do you think that Allah got it wrong when he gave men permission to have 4 wives (he actually gave Muhammad permission to marry 11!, But that was just for him. Convenient, eh?)
and even in quran- men isn't allowed to marry more thanone women for the sake of sex, he can have more wives but he should support them financially which seems to b impossible to take care of more than one women so its not really generalised nowdays

Do you think he got it wrong by permitting slavery, or allowing husbands to hit their disobedient wives in certain circumstances?

well depends why men marrying another women- but as far as i know Muhammad married more than 1 wife so he can give support to others financially coz in early century it was a hard life.but if Muhammad would have marry more than 1 wife to have sexual intercourse than i would b against with it!!!

i don't think he allowed to hit wives at all or if its allowed then i am against with that
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
You might not, but Allah seems to.

How about the men who murdered a camel herder and stole Muhammad's camels? Did he show kindness to them?
No. He tortured them to death!
What about the Banu Qurayza? Did he show kindness to them after they surrendered to him?
No. He beheaded all the men and older boys, and enslaved all the women and children!

As you have already said, you don't know much about Islam, so it's probably best to avoid making such sweeping statements.

so u saying that Muhammed tortured those people to death or kill them???
well... if i dont make sweeping statements then how would i know that how many people against islam and what they think
Original post by QE2
ISIS are following both of those verses.
9:29, because, well, they are doing exactly what it says.
5:32, because they are killing those who Allah has allowed to be killed...HOLD ON! You've edited out the bit where it says that you can kill people who Allah has permitted. That's very, very naughty!

EXCUSE ME!!! i have got those images from the "google images"
that sounds not good
Original post by QE2
But there is the verse that allows the killing of those who oppose Islam. Read 5:33, and if it isn't entirely clear, read Ibn Kathir's tafsir for an explanation of what it means.

I do hope that you don't follow 5:33, or the other verses that encourage fighting disbelievers until all religion is for Allah, and stuff like that.
Also, will you dutifully accept a beating from your husband as a last resort, if he fears disobedience from you.
No doubt you will be happy to inherit half what your brother inherits, and approve of flogging people for consensual, adult sex.

Quite simply, because a literalist, non-interprative reading of the Quran allows them to.

That's because you were taught a sanitised, revisionist version of Islam, moderated by years of influence by secular liberalism, that is compatable with life in a modern democracy (you demonstrate this in the quote above. Islam does not mean "peace", it means "submission".)

ISIS reject this approach and insist that Allah actually meant what he said. All of it.

u may know or dont but they also killing muslims too and i have heard somewhere but they killed a large amount of mulsims than non muslims but the fact is that they killing muslims tooo....
Reply 391
Original post by UWS
Are you labeling me an "apologist"? I guess the answer you wanted me to say is "Muslims are all bad". In this case, I give a perfectly balanced answer and I'm getting plastered for it. Can't have an opinion these days without annoying some people :tongue:
It is clear to any reasonable person that all Muslims are not "bad". I have never stated it or inferred it. I have regularly rejected the notion. This is just a ridiculous strawman constructed by apologists to avoid addressing the real issue of ideological violence.

You claimed that Islam is not violent, but that violence was brought to Islam by people.
This is simply not supported by the evidence of the contents of the Quran and sunnah. I am guessing that you are not familiar with these texts.

I also pointed out the potential contradiction in your argument, ergo: that your claim would also mean that any peaceful actions by Muslims were a result of their own nature, and not from Islam.

Rather than address these, you present a strawman and claim victimisation.

You certainly display all the traits of an Islamic apologist!
Original post by driftawaay
There is no such thing as 'real Muslims' or 'fake Muslims', if you call yourself a Muslim you are a Muslim.. nobody can determine whether someone is a Muslim, or a Christian or whatever else. You can interpret those fairy tales however you want and just because someone doesnt follow the same verses as you doesnt mean they arent a Christian or a Muslim etc. Yes, ISIS members are Muslim, Islam is the whole point of their ideology.

If you don't follow the Quran then you are not a very good Muslim. Muslim means 'submission' to God in Arabic, and the Quran is the instructions for how to live your life as dictated to Muhammad by the angel Jibril. If you don't follow those instructions, most notably the arkan al-din (the 5 Pillars) but also the other parts of the Quran and the Hadith, then you are not submitting to God in any meaningful way.

from the Hadith of Jibril

"One day while the Prophet was sitting in the company of some people, the angel Jibril came and asked:

'What is iman (faith)?'

God's servant (Muhammad) replied:

'Faith is to believe in God, his angels, his prophets, and to believe in resurrection and the hereafter."

Then he asked, 'What is Islam?'

God's servant replied:

'To worship God alone and none else, to offer prayers perfectly (i.e. to perform salat 5 times a day), to perform charitable deeds (zakat) and to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan.' "
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 393
Original post by fatima1998
well depends why men marrying another women- but as far as i know Muhammad married more than 1 wife so he can give support to others financially coz in early century it was a hard life.but if Muhammad would have marry more than 1 wife to have sexual intercourse than i would b against with it!!!
Only four of his eleven wives were widows who he married to relieve hardship. Some were political marriages and some were captives from battles, at least one of whom Muhammad selected for her beauty.

i don't think he allowed to hit wives at all or if its allowed then i am against with that
Look up sura 4:34. It contains the line...
"But those wives from whom you fear arrogance - first advise them; then if they persist, forsake them in bed; and finally, strike them"

It seems that there is quite a bit about Islam that you do not agree with. Perhaps it's not right for you?
Reply 394
so u saying that Muhammed tortured those people to death or kill them???
The camel thieves were tortured to death.
"The news reached the Prophet and he sent (men) in their pursuit and they were captured. He then ordered that their hands and feet be cut off (and it was done), and their eyes were branded with heated pieces of iron. Next, they were put in the sun until they died.'' - Sahih Muslim hadith

The men and boys of the Banu Qurayza tribe who surrendered to Muhammad were beheaded. Some reports estimate up to 800 of them!
"Then the Messenger of Allah commanded that ditches should be dug, so they were dug in the earth, and they were brought tied by their shoulders, and were beheaded. There were between seven hundred and eight hundred of them. The children who had not yet reached adolescence and the women were taken prisoner, and their wealth was seized" - Ibn Kathir
Original post by QE2
Only four of his eleven wives were widows who he married to relieve hardship. Some were political marriages and some were captives from battles, at least one of whom Muhammad selected for her beauty.

Look up sura 4:34. It contains the line...
"But those wives from whom you fear arrogance - first advise them; then if they persist, forsake them in bed; and finally, strike them"

It seems that there is quite a bit about Islam that you do not agree with. Perhaps it's not right for you?

u have to have one wife though doesn't matter if he chose for the sake of beauty

well... i dont agree with these things coz i am women myself and cannot tolerate this...
but tbh... i have never ever seen these things in my family/relatives and thery aren't really generalise
Reply 396
u may know or dont but they also killing muslims too and i have heard somewhere but they killed a large amount of mulsims than non muslims but the fact is that they killing muslims tooo....
ISIS have a very strict, literalist interpretation of Islam. They consider Muslims who do not follow it as strictly as they do to have commited kufr and become apostates.

Essentally, they are doing what many Muslims are doing to them of these threads - saying that they are not "true Muslims". The big difference is that yhey follow the quran and sunnah to the letter, and so view these "apostates" to be opposing their version of "true Islam" and can therefore be killed.
Reply 397
well... i dont agree with these things coz i am women myself and cannot tolerate this...
but tbh... i have never ever seen these things in my family/relatives and thery aren't really generalise
This is the main issue. Many, if not most, Muslims do not follow every command and instruction. They either are unaware of them or see them as unacceptable in modern society (as you rightly do about some things). However, the behaviour of individual Muslims does not change what Islam is. It is determined by what is in the Quran and sunnah. ISIS are just reviving long forgotten or ignored verses.

So, Islam faces a bit of a problem. It can either start removing bits from the Quran and sunnah - but this would be an admission that it is not the perfect word of a perfect god.
Or it has to accept that ISIS, despite being abhorrent and barbaric, are acting Islamically.

Ignorance or denial of the content of scripture are not really acceptable options.
Original post by QE2
ISIS have a very strict, literalist interpretation of Islam. They consider Muslims who do not follow it as strictly as they do to have commited kufr and become apostates.

Essentally, they are doing what many Muslims are doing to them of these threads - saying that they are not "true Muslims". The big difference is that yhey follow the quran and sunnah to the letter, and so view these "apostates" to be opposing their version of "true Islam" and can therefore be killed.

the Quran was written in early early centuries when war happens all the time.... killing was a normal routine when there is many islamic wars like ghazwa-e-uhad or ghazwa e badr took place and the Quran was written in those circumstances where as now.... modern world; its totally different and no one follow the commands unless its so important
people do pray 5 times or read quran on daily basis coz these things r good to do. And this can b generalise
whereas, killing, hitting doesn't generalise to normal muslims like me
i think Quran may refers to old centuries circumstances
Reply 399
the Quran was written in early early centuries when war happens all the time.... killing was a normal routine when there is many islamic wars like ghazwa-e-uhad or ghazwa e badr took place and the Quran was written in those circumstances where as now.... modern world; its totally different and no one follow the commands unless its so important
people do pray 5 times or read quran on daily basis coz these things r good to do. And this can b generalise
whereas, killing, hitting doesn't generalise to normal muslims like me
i think Quran may refers to old centuries circumstances
Yes, I completely understand this argument, it makes perfect sense. Essentially, it is the argument that changed Christianity over recent centuries from a religion that killed and persecuted to a religion of songs and charity.

However, there is one important difference. Unlike Christianity, Islam has no official hierarchy, no central leadership with ultimate authority over doctrine. Anyone with sufficient knowledge can set themselves up as a "scholar" and define interpretation.

Also, the Quran makes the point of insisting that it is the final and perfect revelation, universal and timeless and protected for ever by Allah himself. If you are claiming that large parts of it are no longer relevant, you are clearly able to look at it at least slightly objectively. But you also clearly do not consider it to be perfect, universal or timeless and therefore not the work of an all-knowing, all-powerful god who would not include irrelevant passages that he knew would be taken out of context and cause centuries of suffering and bloodshed.

BTW, did you know that the full instructions on salat do not come from the Quran?

Latest

Trending

Trending