bencrossley1
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am writing a set of tutorials about pool from a physics standpoint and I am considering everything, even the chalk so that players can have a good knowledge basis about how much / little things matter. Naturally I'd like to make sure my information is on point hence I am here.

I've got a query regarding a chalk product I have found online. To clarify this chalk is the cube of chalk used on the tip of a pool cue.

This chalk is super expensive (Standard, 12 for £5, This chalk 1 for £15-£20) So its claims need some justifying.

It claims that the chalk (powder?) is much finer when applied to the cue so stays within the fibres of the tip longer and increases the amount of friction with the ball. This decreases deflection angle, creates more spin and gives a better contact allowing for even more spin to be applied using a wider connection with the white.

What I would like to know is how much effect can this have? I don't know much about the actual chalk other than it is called 0.98 β which is presumably a property of the chalk. I have attached a print screen of the websites claims. If any claims can be refuted or proven using physics that would be greatly appreciated.

If there is a good article somewhere on the physics of powders (not sure how this topic is named) then please provide a link. I did first year physics but then switched to maths and regularly discuss object properties with a Mech Eng friend so I should be able to cope with correct terminology. Thank you in advance!

<edit> unable to attach print screens, so here is a link to the website on the correct page: http://www.kamuibrand.com/billiard-en/products/chalk
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bencrossley1)
Hi, I am writing a set of tutorials about pool from a physics standpoint and I am considering everything, even the chalk so that players can have a good knowledge basis about how much / little things matter. Naturally I'd like to make sure my information is on point hence I am here.

I've got a query regarding a chalk product I have found online. To clarify this chalk is the cube of chalk used on the tip of a pool cue.

This chalk is super expensive (Standard, 12 for £5, This chalk 1 for £15-£20) So its claims need some justifying.

It claims that the chalk (powder?) is much finer when applied to the cue so stays within the fibres of the tip longer and increases the amount of friction with the ball. This decreases deflection angle, creates more spin and gives a better contact allowing for even more spin to be applied using a wider connection with the white.

What I would like to know is how much effect can this have? I don't know much about the actual chalk other than it is called 0.98 β which is presumably a property of the chalk. I have attached a print screen of the websites claims. If any claims can be refuted or proven using physics that would be greatly appreciated.

If there is a good article somewhere on the physics of powders (not sure how this topic is named) then please provide a link. I did first year physics but then switched to maths and regularly discuss object properties with a Mech Eng friend so I should be able to cope with correct terminology. Thank you in advance!

<edit> unable to attach print screens, so here is a link to the website on the correct page: http://www.kamuibrand.com/billiard-en/products/chalk
I found one journal article which had an experimental comparison of chalked Vs unchalked cue tips http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cros....%20squirt.pdf

I suggest you email the company and ask what (if anything) 0.98 β means

probably the claim about having smaller particles could be tested fairly easily..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.33%
Okay (64)
29.63%
A bit lacking (81)
37.5%
Not good at all (53)
24.54%

Watched Threads