The Student Room Group

English Literature Coursework Help

So, I've been asked to write some prototype coursework questions by my teacher on the topic of patriarchy in Othello, 1984 and The Da Vinci Code. She wants them written in this format.

“(Insert view to discuss in essay here)” Discuss this view in consideration of/To what extent is this view true of William Shakespeare’s The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.

I was wondering if anyone was able to suggest some possible views to discuss.

This is what I have so far:

“The actions of men, and the simultaneous subjugation of women, are shaped by the oppressive ideology of patriarchy.” Discuss this view in consideration of/To what extent is this view true of William Shakespeare’s The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.

“Patriarchy is responsible for most negative things in the world.” Discuss this view in consideration of/To what extent is this view true of William Shakespeare’s The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.
Original post by GetOverHere
So, I've been asked to write some prototype coursework questions by my teacher on the topic of patriarchy in Othello, 1984 and The Da Vinci Code. She wants them written in this format.

“(Insert view to discuss in essay here)” Discuss this view in consideration of/To what extent is this view true of William Shakespeare’s The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.

I was wondering if anyone was able to suggest some possible views to discuss.

This is what I have so far:

“The actions of men, and the simultaneous subjugation of women, are shaped by the oppressive ideology of patriarchy.” Discuss this view in consideration of/To what extent is this view true of William Shakespeare’s The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.

“Patriarchy is responsible for most negative things in the world.” Discuss this view in consideration of/To what extent is this view true of William Shakespeare’s The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.

"I have always felt that I have never read a more terrible exposure of human weakness - of universal human weakness - than the last great speech in Othello" - T.S Eliot 1932. You could use this (cut out the last clause). And alter the original title. You could use this quote then add "In light of this comment, discuss the ways patriarchy exposes human weakness" or something like that.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
"I have always felt that I have never read a more terrible exposure of human weakness - of universal human weakness - than the last great speech in Othello" - T.S Eliot 1932. You could use this (cut out the last clause). And alter the original title. You could use this quote then add "In light of this comment, discuss the ways patriarchy exposes human weakness" or something like that.

Thank you, that's awesome! c:

Quick Reply

Latest