The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Questions about the OU...

I'm thinking about doing a degree with the Open Uni, mainly to improve my job prospects. I'm 27 years old now and still working in a dead end job that I can't see a way out of.

The problem is, I can't afford to leave my job to go to a traditional Uni (and I don't know if I would get in anyway). I gave up on my education at 16 and went straight into work and I've been beating myself up about it for the past 5 years.

So my question is this; has anyone else completed their degree with the OU and went on to find better jobs or even a career?

I'd appreciate any advice....
Original post by ffc27
I'm thinking about doing a degree with the Open Uni, mainly to improve my job prospects. I'm 27 years old now and still working in a dead end job that I can't see a way out of.

The problem is, I can't afford to leave my job to go to a traditional Uni (and I don't know if I would get in anyway). I gave up on my education at 16 and went straight into work and I've been beating myself up about it for the past 5 years.

So my question is this; has anyone else completed their degree with the OU and went on to find better jobs or even a career?

Of course they have. Many, many, many.

What specific advice are you looking for and in what subject?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by ffc27

The OU has careers advisers, so there are people to talk to if you're unsure what you want to do. There are many jobs that require a degree but not necessarily a particular subject, so if you're unsure what you want to do that doesn't have to be a problem.
Reply 3
Original post by SuperCat007
Of course they have. Many, many, many.

What specific advice are you looking for and in what subject?

I am considering doing a degree in Business Management.

I know it's stupid but in the back of my mind I've always wondered if an OU degree would be enough to get a decent job and how employers see a degree from the OU (vs a traditional uni)
Original post by ffc27

I know it's stupid but in the back of my mind I've always wondered if an OU degree would be enough to get a decent job and how employers see a degree from the OU (vs a traditional uni)

The OU was in the top 20 in a recent survey of employers looking at which universities they're most likely to source graduates from. Employers are quite aware of the level of self-motivation and study required to get an OU degree, and that's a trait they appreciate. There's no such guarantee of determination with a graduate of a conventional university. Just know what you're getting yourself into, especially if you intend to juggle an OU degree with a job.
Original post by ffc27

Why don't you look up entry requirements for graduate schemes or jobs you might like to apply for once you finish?

I can't tell you about business management I'm afraid, but I'm sure I've seen another thread about it further down.

In my experience employers in the know are impressed by OU degrees, they're tough and take dedication, I have certainly landed jobs I wouldn't otherwise have been considered for and I haven't even finished my studies yet
Reply 6
Original post by SuperCat007
Why don't you look up entry requirements for graduate schemes or jobs you might like to apply for once you finish?

I can't tell you about business management I'm afraid, but I'm sure I've seen another thread about it further down.

In my experience employers in the know are impressed by OU degrees, they're tough and take dedication, I have certainly landed jobs I wouldn't otherwise have been considered for and I haven't even finished my studies yet

Just out of curiosity, what are you studying?

Thanks for your advice by the way...
Original post by ffc27
Just out of curiosity, what are you studying?

Thanks for your advice by the way...

Biology, full time, level 2.
I did the same thing. Regretted not going to university and chose to study while working. Keep in mind the level of commitment it takes. Part time study means it will take twice as long to finish your degree (unless you study multiple modules each year which I'd only recommend at level 1 while working). I'm very glad I made this choice but consider very carefully what job you actually want to do and what degree you need.

Quick Reply

Latest