The Student Room Group

Should I be eligible for a higher loan on placement year?

I am doing a six month unpaid placement at my university which involves research. Originally, student loans told me I could receive a £5800 maintenance loan. In the last couple of weeks, they have told me I can only have £2425 for the whole year. My rent is much more than this and I have been living as if I'd have £5800 up until this point.

I phoned them up today and they told me I am not eligible for a higher maintenance loan unless my placement is in a hospital or a school, yet it says everywhere that people who take on 'unpaid research in a UK or overseas institution' can get a higher loan. £2425 is the set amount of loan for doing paid placement, whereby they do not even assess your household income. Despite this, they have been contacting my parents for more proof of financial information as recently as 3 weeks ago. No financial information has changed since their original quote of £5800.

Furthermore, my friend is also doing a research placement at the same university as me, and he is getting around £7000 in loan. Is it possible that the person I spoke to today is just wrong and I am eligible for more? :s
Are they aware it's unpaid?
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Are they aware it's unpaid?

They should be. I selected that it was an unpaid placement doing research in a UK institution when I applied for loan, and also told the person I spoke to on the phone today that it's unpaid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending