The Student Room Group

Who observed a minute silence today at work/school/uni

Today everyone stood still/time stand still for one minute at 11am local time due to,Paris attacks so who observed it at either their work or school or uni etc and if not why did everyone around made noise or continue to move on and ignore it or did any one observe it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by tmckinnin56
Today everyone stood still/time stand still for one minute at 11am local time due to,Paris attacks so who observed it at either their work or school or uni etc and if not why did everyone around made noise or continue to move on and ignore it or did any one observe it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our school held a minute silence at 11, not just for Paris, but for the world. It was very sombre and sincere.

Except for one rude Year 7 girl who laughed the whole way through outside in the playground, being a completely ignorant child.
What's the significance of the 11am? Sorry if this is me being ignorant - I'm half asleep :frown:
we did
Original post by RMNDK
Our school held a minute silence at 11, not just for Paris, but for the world. It was very sombre and sincere.

Except for one rude Year 7 girl who laughed the whole way through outside in the playground, being a completely ignorant child.

I hope that girl got disicplined and told to stand still plus at my work people just kept talking to say oh can't afford to stand still for one minute as cost time and money who cares even for one minute
If the prime minister can do it so can companies and bossed

Posted from TSR Mobile
My minute was dedicated to the world, not just Paris.

Also, the sixth form was instructed to wear all black lol
Original post by CoolCavy
that is what i thought also tbh :redface:

Why 11am not other time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
i did , i was on the tube and it was on the tfl website and the tube stopped for a minute at 11. Some lady continued screaming down the phone though -_- so rude
Reply 8
I study In Czech Republic and no, we didn't.

EDIT: Actually I just found out there was a minute's silence outside the French embassy, but it wasn't a nationwide thing as far as I'm aware. I was in university at that time and nothing happened.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah and also for Baghdad..
We did a minute at 10:54 as our bell goes for break at 10:55 and making everyone be silent in the playground just wouldn't happen. Was silent in our classroom but there were lots of sixth formers and IT technicians walking up the corridor, in some cases very loudly. If our normal teacher was in school he's have gone and shouted at them but the supply teacher didn't.
yes that is what me and @Student403 were wondering....
why 11am in particualar?

Ya
Reply 12
Original post by Student403
What's the significance of the 11am? Sorry if this is me being ignorant - I'm half asleep :frown:

WW1 ceasefire was effective on 11am.
Original post by ubisoft
WW1 ceasefire was effective on 11am.

But what's this got to do with WW1?
Reply 14
Original post by Student403
But what's this got to do with WW1?

Just convention as the same is done for remembrance day.
Original post by ubisoft
Just convention as the same is done for remembrance day.

Ah okay. Thanks
Reply 16
I didn't do one at school. I have no idea why but no one did a one minute silence :frown:
Reply 17
My college didn't do it... I did stop working and sit in silence for that time though :fluffy:
Original post by Lemur14
We did a minute at 10:54 as our bell goes for break at 10:55 and making everyone be silent in the playground just wouldn't happen. Was silent in our classroom but there were lots of sixth formers and IT technicians walking up the corridor, in some cases very loudly. If our normal teacher was in school he's have gone and shouted at them but the supply teacher didn't.

Why move on why can't they tell them to stand still

Posted from TSR Mobile
that is what i thought also tbh :redface:

Confused the hell out of me when people came outside of a place and did a silence. I felt I should be silent too... so I did... but took me till most of way through silence to figure out what it was for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending