Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, i'm gettin extremely confused between State planning and free market......it seems like the govt intervenes in free market neway....e.g removing tariffs and quotas on imports.....also, does this mean that the domestic industries find it harder to compete?? cos of lower costs from world supply??

can someone explain Rostows theory nice, short and sweet pls!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone pls???????!!!!!!!!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    Rostow's model was developed in the 1960s at the height of the Cold War. It is inductive and he based his model on his studies of 15 countries (mostly European). It shows a linear form of development, starting from the traditional society right up to the fifth and final stage of high mass consumption which is what most developed countries are in at the moment.

It assumes that all countries follow the same pattern of development as European countries - i.e. industrial revolution. This is occurring in some LEDCs but there is also, especially in Africa, urbanisation without industrialisation. There are also no spatial considerations of the model and doesnt take into account regional disparities.

This is off the top of my head...need to do some more revision for economic geography. by the way, this isnt in the edexcel unit 5 syllabus.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    Rostow's model was developed in the 1960s at the height of the Cold War. It is inductive and he based his model on his studies of 15 countries (mostly European). It shows a linear form of development, starting from the traditional society right up to the fifth and final stage of high mass consumption which is what most developed countries are in at the moment.

It assumes that all countries follow the same pattern of development as European countries - i.e. industrial revolution. This is occurring in some LEDCs but there is also, especially in Africa, urbanisation without industrialisation. There are also no spatial considerations of the model and doesnt take into account regional disparities.

This is off the top of my head...need to do some more revision for economic geography. by the way, this isnt in the edexcel unit 5 syllabus.... :confused:
    thx, probs cos ur not doing the same unit 5 as us....theres 2....mines on development econ and urs is prob the labour markets one.

ReputationRep:
    She is right.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.