The Student Room Group

Islamophobia in London.

Right, well I'm not the one to debate about all the chaos that's been going on over the past couple of days. But to hear some of my friends' stories actually makes me feel sick:

One of my friends today told that me that one girl in our year got bottled at she was walking out of the mosque during the weekend, and was immediately taken to hospital for treatment.

My other friend, a very close one in fact, experienced such hate on the bus this morning. She went on like a normal girl going to school (obvs) and the bus was crowded so she was stuck at the front with the driver. At every traffic light he'd look at her for long periods of time and then at last he said "I don't want any trouble on this bus". Of course my friend brushed it off because she's not the sort to confront people. But a few minutes later he looked at her again and said "You obviously know that there is #prayforparis going on, I don't want people like you turning it into #prayforlondon". ;_; I told her she should've started recording this when she realised he kept on throwing glances at her but she thought nothing of it.

Do you honestly think something like this is acceptable? It just boggles me how an attack usually committed by a few can cause such suffering to a majority in a religion who stand against such violence.

This brings me onto the changing the profile pictures of Facebook to the French flag. Yes, I know lives were lost but the main issue I have with the gesture is the assumption that the lives in Paris are more important than the lives in countries such as Syria where bombing is an everyday reality for some. It's ridiculous. It's not only the deaths in Paris that matter, all deaths matter - regardless of where they're reported on the map.

And this is my little rant done. My heart goes out to those who've lost their lives.

edit: wow, I wrote a lot.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm muslim... i don't blame people for reacting this way tbh they don't know any better but the violence was over the top. poor girls. I've been so scared to be on the tube and outside like I try to stay alert and ready in case something happens but ... idek man

#prayforparis though
Reply 2
Original post by z33
I'm muslim... i don't blame people for reacting this way tbh they don't know any better but the violence was over the top. poor girls. I've been so scared to be on the tube and outside like I try to stay alert and ready in case something happens but ... idek man

#prayforparis though

IF thats the case then I dont blame Muslims for carrying out terrorist attacks
You are right its not acceptable to treat her like that.

I assume you have been as vocal about the hundreds of thousands of lives lost in Syria to tyrants and Islamists commiting genocide for the past 4 years? Or is it just western bombs (Targeting these monsters) that upsets you?
Original post by thecatwithnohat
why are people like this working in a multicultural country if they're going to be so disrespectful and horrible to those who aren't similar to them?

I like you, hatless cat, but this is a very poor argument. The bus driver was wrong to behave the way he did but it's a fairly poor argument to say that the driver shouldn't be working with this attitude in a 'multicultural' country. Multiculturalism is a failed experiment and it's about time people admitted that -- the driver's behaviour would be wrong regardless of whether the country is or isn't multicultural. :tongue:

Do you honestly think something like this is acceptable?

No, I don't. (this is for those users who'll jump at me with cries of racism and 'Islamophobia')
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eoe

Don't talk nonsense. This incident, while disgraceful, is hardly equivalent to a terrorist attack. Lives are a little more important than your hurt feelings.
[QUOTE="Hydeman;60656825"]I like you, hatless cat, but this is a very poor argument. The bus driver was wrong to behave the way he did but it's a fairly poor argument to say that the driver shouldn't be working with this attitude in a 'multicultural' country. Multiculturalism is a failed experiment -- the driver's behaviour would be wrong regardless of whether the country is or isn't multicultural. :tongue:

Do you honestly think something like this is acceptable? /QUOTE]

No, I don't. (this is for those users who'll jump at me with cries of racism and 'Islamophobia':wink:

I'll take that bit out ;_; I didn't know what to say after the main part :lol:

I'm not even muslim but this is making me go crazy :zomg:
Reply 7
Original post by eoe

what do you mean...?

i didn't say it was justified. I don't blame them for reacting like that because if I wasn't muslim and I saw everything happening these days I'd be scared as well and some people lash out like that when they're scared. ffs I'm muslim myself and even I'm scared of #prayforlondon becoming a reality. but i agree the guy that bottled the girl was too much. i'm expecting a few comments here and there though... guess we'll just have to deal with it...
I'll take that bit out ;_; I didn't know what to say after the main part :lol:

I'm not even muslim but this is making me go crazy :zomg:

I mucked up the quotes. :frown:

You don't quite realise just how limited a lot of people are until something like this happens and you go on TSR and find people either foaming at the mouth with hatred for Muslims or justifying the atrocity by citing bogus claims of Western support for terrorism in the Middle East. :facepalm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman
Don't talk nonsense. This incident, while disgraceful, is hardly equivalent to a terrorist attack. Lives are a little more important than your hurt feelings.

Exactly ! The number of lives killed by western drones and attacks such the Iraq War are nothing compared to the attacks carried out by Islamic terrorist.
It's very sad to see innocent Muslims being vilified because of these terrorists. I too have heard about a girl who got bottled on Saturday I think it was. It's unacceptable and unfair seeing as they've done nothing. I've seen so many posts on TSR trying to justify Muslims being randomly attacked/being victims of hate crimes since the Paris attack took place. We need love and unity,not hate and intolerance
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You are right its not acceptable to treat her like that.

I assume you have been as vocal about the hundreds of thousands of lives lost in Syria to tyrants and Islamists commiting genocide for the past 4 years? Or is it just western bombs (Targeting these monsters) that upsets you?

I have. As I said in my post, all deaths matter, not just those that happen in developed countries.

This brings me onto the changing the profile pictures of Facebook to the French flag. Yes, I know lives were lost but the main issue I have with the gesture is the assumption that the lives in Paris are more important than the lives in countries such as Syria where bombing is an everyday reality for some. It's ridiculous. It's not only the deaths in Paris that matter, all deaths matter - regardless of where they're reported on the map.

Many people in the UK have been to Paris.

Many of us have friends or family there.

France shares the same enlightened values as us, and many of us who hold those values dear feel upset to see them attacked.

Paris is a city much like London, and these attacks heighten our concern that something similar could happen here.

With the current refugee crisis and the increasing popularity of far-right parties across Europe, we realize this could be a watershed moment.

We are used to hearing about attacks happening in Africa and the Middle East.

We have a greater connection with the French people.

The heightening of security will affect the UK.

We are aware that it is likely that more attacks are on their way.

Reply 14
Original post by Hydeman
Nobody is saying that those lives did not matter, but to say that terrorist attacks are justified because of somebody getting their feelings hurt on the bus to school is, frankly, bull****. The fact that you're looking to justify terrorist attacks does suggest to me that I should stop at this point and let you rant about it. I've wasted too much time with people like you over the last few days and I don't intend to let that continue.

I never said that these terrorist attacks are justified, however someone said that these islamophobic crimes are justified because of the current climate.

No attacks are ever justified
Original post by Hydeman
I mucked up the quotes. :frown:

You don't quite realise just how limited a lot of people are until something like this happens and you go on TSR and find people either foaming at the mouth with hatred for Muslims or justifying the atrocity by citing bogus claims of Western support for terrorism in the Middle East. :facepalm:

And oh my god the funniest thing happened on Facebook.

A girl who used to go to my school posted a video and commented 'I'm actually disgusted'

The 'news report' was simply a dodgy video that claimed to have footage of people cheering about the bombs in Paris when really it was just footage that was taken from the victory of winning the world cup in 2009 :rofl:

It's scary how people rely on Facebook to spoon feed them about global issues ...
Reply 16
Without evidence, I don't believe these stories.
Reply 17
Original post by eoe
I never said that these terrorist attacks are justified, however someone said that these islamophobic crimes are justified because of the current climate.

No attacks are ever justified

i never said they were justified i said i understand why they're happening
I have. As I said in my post, all deaths matter, not just those that happen in developed countries.

Yes but did their deaths matter to you and the #PrayforSyria brigade when it was Assad ISIS and other groups butchering and murdering hundreds of thousands?

What about Saudi Arabia that has been flattening Yemen for months killing thousands?

The point is you people only care when:

1) You see a washed up Syrian child dead on the beach
2) Its Western countries doing the killing
And oh my god the funniest thing happened on Facebook.

A girl who used to go to my school posted a video and commented 'I'm actually disgusted'

The 'news report' was simply a dodgy video that claimed to have footage of people cheering about the bombs in Paris when really it was just footage that was taken from the victory of winning the world cup in 2009 :rofl:

It's scary how people rely on Facebook to spoon feed them about global issues ...

I actually find that Facebook is a good place to find news in a single place -- but only if you get this news from the verified pages of various news organisations and the 'trending' section in the top right. It's never a good idea to get your news from so-called friends who don't seem to feel guilty before they hit share on a picture put up by Britain First.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending