The Student Room Group

Record players

I want to get a record player but there are so many! I don't know which one to get.

Does anyone know which record players are the best(in terms of sound quality)?
I would want to play lots of old music on it.
Original post by F.Nietzsche
I want to get a record player but there are so many! I don't know which one to get.

Does anyone know which record players are the best(in terms of sound quality)?
I would want to play lots of old music on it.
Wow. This is an open ended question if there ever was!

First and foremost a few questions need answering:

1) How important/serious is music to you? Think. Would vinyl be a passsing fasion fad or a means to extract the best sound quality from recorded music from your perspective? What do you think vinyl would give you that CD's or an MP3 download would not?

2) Are you looking for an audio system for serious personal listening to draw you into a performance and keep you hooked - one which can be upgraded in stages as your disposable finances dictate? Or is it something that you will buy once and use occasionally as a novelty entertainment source?

3) What is your budget?
Original post by uberteknik
Wow. This is an open ended question if there ever was!

First and foremost a few questions need answering:

1) How important/serious is music to you? Think. Would vinyl be a passsing fasion fad or a means to extract the best sound quality from recorded music from your perspective? What do you think vinyl would give you that CD's or an MP3 download would not?

2) Are you looking for an audio system for serious personal listening to draw you into a performance and keep you hooked - one which can be upgraded in stages as your disposable finances dictate? Or is it something that you will buy once and use occasionally as a novelty entertainment source?

3) What is your budget?

Well, that I don't know. I love music but I don't know if I would use a record player all the time. To be honest, I guess there's nothing a vinyl can offer that CD can't.

I just want something that I can play in my room, whilst I do work and stuff.

Erm...it depends. I'm pretty flexible but nothing too crazy, like £1000.
Reply 3
"Nothing too crazy" and "like £1000" don't seem to fit together very well here :lol:
Reply 4
Vinyls are amazing <3 I have a Technics SL-1200 MK2 and I'm definitely not complaining lol. It has a pitch controller too. Although I dont know what kind youre going for, mine is a DJ type one
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Well, that I don't know. I love music but I don't know if I would use a record player all the time. To be honest, I guess there's nothing a vinyl can offer that CD can't.

I just want something that I can play in my room, whilst I do work and stuff.

Erm...it depends. I'm pretty flexible but nothing too crazy, like £1000.
For £1000 you can put together a great sounding system.

Try something like:

Front end: Rega RP3 turntable + RB303 transcription arm + Elys II cartridge. (£550)
Amplification: Marantz PM6005 (£300)
Loudspeakers: Wharfedale Diamond 220 (£200 / pair)

Don't forget to add speaker stands and cables which might push you budget up a another £100 or so.

But for the money you would have a cracking system capable of playing vinyl (33 and 45 rpm), digital streaming output from your laptop, CD player and MP3 device etc.

Don't buy on specification though. You need to take a wide selection of music along to your local stockist and listen carefully.

Try comparing the RP3 combo with the Rega RP1 turntable package @£300. The difference may not be enough for you to justify spending the extra £200 on the more expensive option. It's your choice though.

Do remember that all vinyl replay will require replacement of the cartridge stylus at regular intervals dependent on how much you use the system. Typically at around the 500 hour mark. Cartridge refurbishment (stylus replacement) for the Elys II is around £80.

Also be very aware that turntables (especially the stylus and transcription arm) are finely balanced and very delicate instruments (needs to be set up correctly with fine attention to detail so read the setting up instructions very closely) which can (and will) damage very easily. Parties, guests and inquisitive visitors are turntable killers. Be very aware!

Like any musical instrument, you will need to look after your kit with love and affection. A good stylus cleaner, meticulous attention to handling vinyl by the edge of your thumb and fingers on the label only (never ever never with your fingers on the playing surfaces), good quality anti-static cleaning brush etc. are essential. Some kind of hard dust cover to protect your turntable when not in use is also a very, very wise purchase.

Never leave vinyl on the turntable after you have finished playing the disk or let the stylus stay in the run out groove after the disc has finished. (It seriously reduces the useful life of the stylus). Vinyl collects dust like a magnet attracts iron fillings and once in the grooves, those pops and clicks will be there forever.

Be warned.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending