Pegeek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically I aspire to be a criminal solicitor but my GCSE grades were dire so I feel this will prevent me from becoming one. I got 1A 9B's and 2C's.
I know my grades aren't awful but I feel compared to other people going into law I've got no chance. I'm trying really hard at AS not to let things slip and I'm currently working at A*A*AB so if I get good grades at A level have I got a chance?
ChuckHades
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Generally speaking, A level performance supercedes GCSEs. If you get the grades youre working towards, youll be absolutely fine everywhere other than oxford really.
Pegeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChuckHades)
Generally speaking, A level performance supercedes GCSEs. If you get the grades youre working towards, youll be absolutely fine everywhere other than oxford really.
I'm just going to have to really focus I doubt my grades will stay this high as I I've only been studying at AS for less than 3 months. Fingers crossed
Connor_leigh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GCSE's will be considered but i doubt it's the end of the world.
Another thing is you can't get A* at AS. 90% in an AS module is not representative of 90% in A2 modules and 80% overall
Pegeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor_leigh)
GCSE's will be considered but i doubt it's the end of the world.
Another thing is you can't get A* at AS. 90% in an AS module is not representative of 90% in A2 modules and 80% overall
At my college you get given an A* grade if you've achieved over 90% I think it may be because of AS no longer existing because of the reform unless it's a prediction for A2. No idea just referring to my report.
happyinthehaze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is not an issue and in any case, yours are OK.

Try and get law work ex NOW.

Please do keep an open mind re being a crim sol - I do not wish to do you down, but it appears many law wannabes start out wanting to do crim law. I can see why. But pls start now to read around what is going on in crim law - legal aid cuts and so forth - and go and have a look at some magistrates courts in operation. Keep an open mind, law is a big and varied place.

But your grades are fine and will not be an issue whatsover.

(Original post by Pegeek)
Basically I aspire to be a criminal solicitor but my GCSE grades were dire so I feel this will prevent me from becoming one. I got 1A 9B's and 2C's.
I know my grades aren't awful but I feel compared to other people going into law I've got no chance. I'm trying really hard at AS not to let things slip and I'm currently working at A*A*AB so if I get good grades at A level have I got a chance?
LegalLab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am currently in the process of applying for pupillage and I am yet to come across an application that requires me to disclose my GCSE grades, they are few and far between and A-levels most definitely supersede anything you do at GCSE (not including Oxbridge). From the work experience I have gained the general consensus among the legal professionals has been that your degree grade is the most important educational indicator when applying for Training Contracts or Pupillage. I hope this helps!
evalilyXOX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First of all, your grades at A level are far more important than your GCSE grades, in fact many universities will overlook those grades if you have sufficient A level grades.

I think what a lot of universities look for is a strong desire to actually study law. Trust me when I say that a law degree is long hours and takes blood, sweat and tears (I am currently a 2nd year law student).

So I think what is really valuable is to show that you have drive and determination, as well as a real passion for the study of law.

Therefore, make sure you have lots of work experience with law firms, join your school's debate team if they have one, charities etc.
Basically anything that will show that you are a tough cookie and will stick in when the going gets tough.

Hope this helps and good luck !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (611)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (761)
42.02%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.42%

Watched Threads