The Student Room Group

Is pi and infinitely large number in terms of magnitude, as well as digits?

Hey all,

I am studying A2 maths on the legacy syllabus, and have a keen interest in maths.

I was thinking about how pi's digits go on infinitely, and that led me on to wondering whether or not pi itself was in fact an infinitely large number.

This probably sounds stupid, and i realise that pi is never over 4.0 for example, because it is 3.1415...... But then again, if we define pi as being 3.14 that's fine.... then we add a digit and it gets bigger to 3.141 and then again, and again.

If this process goes on infinitely, pi getting bigger and bigger with each new digit then surely the number itself is an infinity in size?

Sorry if this hasn't made sense, i'm not always the best at explaining things. I also realise this may all be straight WRONG, but better to ask I think :biggrin:

Many thanks,
George
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Cascadess
Hey all,

I am studying A2 maths on the legacy syllabus, and have a keen interest in maths.

I was thinking about how pi's digits go on infinitely, and that led me on to wondering whether or not pi itself was in fact an infinitely large number.

This probably sounds stupid, and i realise that pi is never over 4.0 for example, because it is 3.1415...... But then again, if we define pi as being 3.14 that's fine.... then we add a digit and it gets bigger to 3.141 and then again, and again.

If this process goes in infinitely, pi getting bigger and bigger with each new digit then surely the number itself is an infinity in size?

Sorry if this hasn't made sense, i'm not always the best at explaining thing. I also realise this may all be straight WRONG, but better to ask I think :biggrin:

Many thanks,
George

no no its magnitude is small, its only 3 piont something
4 is bigger than pi i.e. has more magnitude so its magniudet isnt tht big

and the thing ur on about when it adds a new digit its not really 'adding' a digit its just getting more accurate so the more digit u use to define pi the closer you are to pi itself
(edited 8 years ago)
Magnitude, no -- it does increase in size as its accuracy in terms of the number of decimal places to which it's stated increase but, ultimately, it has an upper limit, which is also irrational.

So if you stopped at 3.14, it would always be smaller than 3.15, if you stopped at 3.1415, it would always be smaller than 3.1416 and so on. You just increase the last digit available by one and that's always going to be bigger than pi to that number of decimal places.

Number of digits, yes -- duh. xD
Original post by Cascadess
Hey all,

If this process goes on infinitely, pi getting bigger and bigger with each new digit then surely the number itself is an infinity in size?

Sorry if this hasn't made sense, i'm not always the best at explaining things. I also realise this may all be straight WRONG, but better to ask I think :biggrin:

Many thanks,
George

Its decimal representation is an infinite sum that evaluates to pi. Roughly speaking, infinite sums can be convergent to finite quantities if the terms get small enough fast enough. For example, consider geometric series where the ratio between consecutive terms is less than 1.
Reply 5
3.141592654.... something

is not that big

a number with a larger magnitude is 3.141592655..... something.

Quick Reply

Latest