The Student Room Group
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

PLEASE REPLY-Bolton uni 16/17

Hi guys! So, due to this,that and every circumstance Ive been unable to take the full amount of A-Levels and am taking 2 full A-Levels and retaking an AS.
This limited my choices ALOT but perhaps in a good way as I found bolton. So I went along to the open day and absolutely loved it! I love the lay out of the uni, the style and modern theme is amazing and they had a crazy good area full of Mac computers (presumably for a design course) but this was encouraging too. Accommodation was as expected. I'm still unsure if Id like campus accommodation or the cube but will keep looking. So as of yet I love the uni, I love the fact it's a smaller area and not crowded with people, and I have put
Criminology with forensic psychology
Psychology with a foundation year
As my first and second choices, and haven't yet found another uni that I (think) I love like this to add to my list.

However, reading and with the current uni hype taking place I have seen absolutely 0 people say they have applied for bolton or are going there, and have seen a lot of negative comments, a lot a lot. I'm really trying to look past them as I know everyone has their own grudges and reasons equally with some truths perhaps but I can't help feeling concerned I'm throwing everything I have into this uni and really cannot find anyone in the same situation as me to chat about this with.

I appreciate the student ambassadors on here, but again every side good or bad could be slightly bias and so if there is anyone here looking at Bolton, please tell me all about it!

Thankyou!
Toni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

I've applied for Bolton as my first choice too... Loved the whole open day experience!
From what I hear Bolton is one of the universities that kind of flies under the radar. In terms of your choices, have you considered Birmingham City University (BCU) for a criminology degree?

I went to their open day a week ago and the university itself seems pretty good! the only bit that put me off was the price of accommodation but it's something you should look into!

I think we may be in a similar situation in regards to A-levels and UCAS results, I dropped out of college after my first year and came away with E grades in 3 AS levels, however I went onto study an AAT course (this is for accountancy) and have been told that I stand a good chance of being accepted by uni's (to date I have conditional offers from Chester, Keele & BCU.

I've heard a few bad things about Bolton as well but maybe the best way to think of it is "it is what you make of it". the accommodation prices at Bolton aren't too bad, everything is relatively close together. Also, from what I gather a lot of the lecturers have a good amount of working knowledge, this could help you get placements and potentially set you on the path of a career.

This probably didn't help at all, but figured I'd put my 50pence in on the situation!
Good luck for the future, Maybe I'll see you around Bolton Uni!

Jack.
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Reply 2
Thank you jack!! So good to hear someone else has bolton as their first choice and someone actually replying! The uni does have a bad rep but I absolutely loved it when I went and im dead set on going there. Which course are you applying to? Are you in the fb group for it?x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for Accounting (BA) Honours, no I haven't joined the Facebook group. I'll have to have a look into it!
Reply 4
Hi guys;
I have an offer from Bolton but it means I'll have to move out, what are the living costs like there because the accommodation I've looked in too costs £4,840 per annum (based on a 44 week tenancy) but everything is included only food and travel is what I have to pay for. Doing the maths and all I'll have around £77 per week expenditure, would that amount be enough?

Thanks
Original post by JABAAR97
Hi guys;
I have an offer from Bolton but it means I'll have to move out, what are the living costs like there because the accommodation I've looked in too costs £4,840 per annum (based on a 44 week tenancy) but everything is included only food and travel is what I have to pay for. Doing the maths and all I'll have around £77 per week expenditure, would that amount be enough?

Thanks

have you looked into applying for a maintenance loan?
Also, there should be plenty of jobs going, bar work etc once the new uni year starts
Reply 6
Hi everyone. I'm going to study in Bolton on September. Defenetly it is going to my first choice. I fell in love with this university but there is no reason :smile:Now I have to wait for my exams and then results of exams :smile:
Reply 7
I am already studying Website Development Foundation at Bolton university.

The tutors on my course are great and know their subject, also as you said there's not many people here and the classrooms are that of a school or college size. This is a good thing as you can see your tutor more and have 121 meetings. There is a lot of student support available in Student Services that can help you with anything.

Bolton is known for its lack of organization and having been studying from school, college and university, it showed a lot.
Reply 8
Hey guys I currently have an unconditional offer for VFX for film and TV course and will be starting September, I'm local but will hopefully be moving to Orlando village. All though bolton has a bad rep they are a very well researched uni and have a lot of experienced under there belts including some amazing lectures from the open day i loved it, i did a month at manchester met uni and its so diffrent and unique i think it will be good
Original post by Bowes96
Hey guys I currently have an unconditional offer for VFX for film and TV course and will be starting September, I'm local but will hopefully be moving to Orlando village. All though bolton has a bad rep they are a very well researched uni and have a lot of experienced under there belts including some amazing lectures from the open day i loved it, i did a month at manchester met uni and its so diffrent and unique i think it will be good

I've since been offered an unconditional place to Bolton :smile: I'll be applying for Orlando Village too (free pool table sold it too me, I'm impressed by the little things) Sure I'll see you around!

Quick Reply