The Student Room Group

My manager used the N word

Basically me, my manager and one other work colleague were sitting in our work places equivalent of a staff room

We were talking about some meaningless nonsense I can't remember and I said 'f*** da police' as a joke about something she then said 'who do you two think you are, n******?'

Nevertheless we were extremely shocked and fell silent.

Should I do anything about this? We have black and mixed race people working at our place of employment aswell.

Scroll to see replies

Hell Nah!
"Should I do anything about this?" You need to get slapped up. Obviously do something about it.. Next time try and get her to say something racist and make sure you record it.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
"Should I do anything about this?" You need to get slapped up. Obviously do something about it.. Next time try and get her to say something racist and make sure you record it.

I wasn't the one who said so why should I get 'slapped up' as you so eloquently put it?
Basically me, my manager and one other work colleague were sitting in our work places equivalent of a staff room

We were talking about some meaningless nonsense I can't remember and I said 'f*** da police' as a joke about something she then said 'who do you two think you are, n******?'

Nevertheless we were extremely shocked and fell silent.

Should I do anything about this? We have black and mixed race people working at our place of employment aswell.

It was obviously a joke, one that was definantly inappropriate for the situation, if i was sat with my sisters and this was said, no one would bat an eyelid, so your manager maybe just got too comfortable. If this happened again i would bring it up, but your manager has probably figured out that this type of sense of humour isn't appropriate for the workplace :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Hayley Williams
It was obviously a joke, one that was definantly inappropriate for the situation, if i was sat with my sisters and this was said, no one would bat an eyelid, so your manager maybe just got too comfortable. If this happened again i would bring it up, but your manager has probably figured out that this type of sense of humour isn't appropriate for the workplace :smile:

...Are you trying to minimize this and getting OP to forget it or should it happen in the future not to report it? :hmmm:
Reply 6

Probably. It was just so awkward and we were just in shock lol especially coming from a superior
Original post by King Mal
...Are you trying to minimize this and getting OP to forget it or should it happen in the future not to report it? :hmmm:

OP?
Probably. It was just so awkward and we were just in shock lol especially coming from a superior

Just think about it, would you really be shocked if you got that reply from a friend? Maybe your manager was just trying to get in with the banter, or maybe i don't get offended easily and have a dark sense of humour :s-smilie:
Reply 9
OP?

oh ffs, OP is original poster or the thread starter, now answer the question plz

no do as the 1st anon said and record it if it happens again and report him. You're obviously put off by this and it is simply your common decency talking to you :yy:
if you were not white and heard this, what Hayley Williams said to you is disgusting. Basically to allow it.
Just think about it, would you really be shocked if you got that reply from a friend? Maybe your manager was just trying to get in with the banter, or maybe i don't get offended easily and have a dark sense of humour :s-smilie:

Yes of course I would be shocked :/
Everybody, and I mean, everybody knows that you shouldn't use the N word if you want to be seen as a decent person with any morals. Either that or I'm just very innocent. Even if it used amongst friends it is highly unprofessional in my opinion for managers who are supposed to lead and set an example for us subordinates to use that word in front of us.

We obviously have different sense of humour, how old are you? I'm 19, so i suppose this sort of language is kind of common were i'm from. I live in a very "mixed" place and we have a natural sort of banter where this is acceptable. I think theres a line between joking and racism, and this was obviously a joke, after the "OP" said **** da police.
Yes of course I would be shocked :/
Everybody, and I mean, everybody knows that you shouldn't use the N word if you want to be seen as a decent person with any morals. Either that or I'm just very innocent. Even if it used amongst friends it is highly unprofessional in my opinion for managers who are supposed to lead and set an example for us subordinates to use that word in front of us.

Me and my friends are a very "mixed" group of people, black, white, muslim, catholic, so we have this sort of banter where racism is funny. Obviously, if your manager said this out of the blue, it wouldn't be acceptable, but because, you said **** da police, first, i think it was acceptable in the situation.
If she said it again, in an inappropriate situation, then i would report it :biggrin:
Me and my friends are a very "mixed" group of people, black, white, muslim, catholic, so we have this sort of banter where racism is funny. Obviously, if your manager said this out of the blue, it wouldn't be acceptable, but because, you said **** da police, first, i think it was acceptable in the situation.
If she said it again, in an inappropriate situation, then i would report it :biggrin:

I'm in my early 20's and come from a relatively multicultural town so that is probably why I found it so shocking. Clearly she came from a majority white town so she probably didn't think about it too much.

Yes but in our own opinions I think she went a little bit too far, there are plenty of things she could have said e.g: 'who do you two think you are, gangsters?'

It's still dodgy even if it was meant as a joke.
We obviously have different sense of humour, how old are you? I'm 19, so i suppose this sort of language is kind of common were i'm from. I live in a very "mixed" place and we have a natural sort of banter where this is acceptable. I think theres a line between joking and racism, and this was obviously a joke, after the "OP" said **** da police.

er no. if the manager is white you know this wasn't used like how rappers say the n word. I am so done with you.

and did you just ask me my age and make an assumption about my sense of humour? :hand:

It's still dodgy even if it was meant as a joke.

ok great. thread over. report it if it happens again. say no more.
er no. if the manager is white you know this wasn't used like how rappers say the n word. I am so done with you.

and did you just ask me my age and make an assumption about my sense of humour? :hand:

No need to be so defensive :biggrin:
No need to be so defensive :biggrin:

Nobody's defensive; I'm actually unimpressed by how idiotic you are. You've no idea what defensive is with me now get a brain and stop quoting me :kiss:
ok great. thread over. report it if it happens again. say no more.

Okay, thanks.

I hope it doesn't :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending