The Student Room Group

Moving to UK

Scroll to see replies

My G/f is canadian and doing her Phd here

she moans about the cost of almost everything.

Rent wise it depends on where you are in the country.
Round here a 5 bedroom house is around £2k a month plus all bills.
As an overseas student you can only work 18 hours a week.
Reply 21
Birmingham UK
Original post by sw651
That is just fees, is that annually or for the entire course though?

Total fees including somewhere to stay is what I meant, look it up.
Original post by Jenx301
OP it depends where you live... obviously London is more expensive than most other places in the UK. For example £300 a week rent is ridiculous and you shouldn't be paying that.... I pay £89 a week rent. Most students share flats or houses which makes it cheaper. You don't pay council tax as a student. Work out where you want to go and then look into prices.

It does depend on where you live - I'm assuming that the OP would be looking at places like Oxford, UCLH etc, so center-ish prices. But, that being said, I lived in a shared student house for a few months out past the suburbs, and I still paid £1300/month for my bedroom in it - the property was a little place, the last one left, and we converted the living room into a 5th bedroom. It cost a total of around £7,000ish / month between the lot of us.
Original post by jess_taylor7
I'm still working towards my bachelors, so I haven't graduated yet. But once I have, I'll apply to Med school!

What are you going to school for? Are you attending the University of Hertfordshire?

aha late reply, because you didn't quote me :smile: No i attend a university in the north west and I'm studying chemistry. I would recommend living in the north, in money is an issue for you, it is so cheap here. I didn't choose go here because of that, just because the north is more "me", its where i grew up. I would take into consideration the character of where you want to live before you apply too :biggrin:
Original post by Hayley Williams
aha late reply, because you didn't quote me :smile: No i attend a university in the north west and I'm studying chemistry. I would recommend living in the north, in money is an issue for you, it is so cheap here. I didn't choose go here because of that, just because the north is more "me", its where i grew up. I would take into consideration the character of where you want to live before you apply too :biggrin:

Which Uni do you attend?
And do you know of any Unis that are good for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by jess_taylor772
Hi! Thanks for the info!
I was researching online some of the general flat prices PCM and I came across some that were one bedroom for £129 pcm.. Not sure if that was some sort of scheme or not?
Is living on campus reasonable? Have you ever done it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

£129 pcm sounds pretty suspect. Are you sure it wasn't per week? If it's advertised per month, be very careful. I've been targeted by scams in the past - advertising good properties at v low prices. As @XMaramena says, the rental price you've seen would be considered very low even in remote areas.
Reply 27
Original post by XMaramena
It does depend on where you live - I'm assuming that the OP would be looking at places like Oxford, UCLH etc, so center-ish prices. But, that being said, I lived in a shared student house for a few months out past the suburbs, and I still paid £1300/month for my bedroom in it - the property was a little place, the last one left, and we converted the living room into a 5th bedroom. It cost a total of around £7,000ish / month between the lot of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

£1300 a month for a shared house! You are being ripped off
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

£1300 a month for a shared house! You are being ripped off

From my reading of your posts, you are at school?
In the real world, housing costs a lot .
In the south of the U.K., property prices are increasing at a frightening rate and landlords have to pay the mortgage.

You may be able to rent cheaply in some areas of the U.K. But even in northern towns with a university, the student population increases the cost of rental.
Reply 29
Original post by domonict
From my reading of your posts, you are at school?
In the real world, housing costs a lot .
In the south of the U.K., property prices are increasing at a frightening rate and landlords have to pay the mortgage.

You may be able to rent cheaply in some areas of the U.K. But even in northern towns with a university, the student population increases the cost of rental.

I live with my parents. but we are renting a 3 bedroom house that is only £950 pcm.
I live in Birmingham which is a major student city.

And I know that, but £1300 a month is stupidly expensive. Besides OP wants to got to Hertford, comparably cheap
Hey :smile:I’m a business and marketing student in Glasgow, and waswondering if I could just ask a quick question for my dissertation:When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors aremost important in your decision?Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest