Turn on thread page Beta

Topshop - why is it so expensive?! (girls! and guys of course!) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    "maybe you're just poor"

thats impossible - i go to an international school
    The cost of living is much higher in the UK which is probably why they seem expensive to you

We get ripped off big time

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why stuff is more expensive in the UK?

Is VAT that much higher than the sales tax in other countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)

probably.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Topshop isnt that badly priced, the retro section which is the decent section for boys is ok, not as expensive as urban outfitters or diesel. Also HandM might sound a bit tacky but they have quite funky clothes and its cheap!

O yeah stay away from all those shops like mk1 newlook etc there are plenty of those near my school and you always see fat shaz's going into them, they are cheap tacky and disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    O yeah stay away from all those shops like mk1 newlook etc there are plenty of those near my school and you always see fat shaz's going into them, they are cheap tacky and disgusting.
    LMAO! And Topshop is different how?

ReputationRep:
    Haha well topman (the retro section) is wicked for boys...

and ive been shopping with girls in topshop the big one in oxford street, and the cage place downstairs has some top clothes!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm an international student from Hong Kong and I find Topshop quite expensive.....but how come I keep hearing from people that topshop is a place for good fashion but for cheap deals?!?!

I can get many of that stuff in Topshop for half the price or less in Hong Kong!

Btw....where are the cheap places in London to shop (for clothes esp, i'm obssessed), need to know because I think London is going to burn a hole in my pocket! So far, I've been to London a few times and I can't find any cheap AND nice places to shop for clothes......comments appreciated!
    Yes, clothes seems to really expensive in the UK. I´m horrified by the prices when I read British magazines.

ReputationRep:
    i kinda do agree about the expense of clothes, but we've forgotten quite a few things to bear in mind about different countries ;

topshop does offer a wide variety and their styles are quite structured and well designed - well designed defined as they do do their cuttings well, they do choose the nicer fabric (i.e. why else do you rejetc new look/mc1?). some of the clothes a real novelty to the eye and its distinct in that sense. it is probably expensive in the sense that the work that they do to bring a certain line into the shopfront has to support a lot of people i.e. the designers, the accounts.. uh.. people who test the longevity of the clothing... shipping, production... validating their samples and such.. just make that up yy'kno :P

if you're comparing to hong kong... thats where they can transport goods easily from mainland.. i know nothing about economics but on a simple level its all about cost of living and currency that divides the difference between hk and uk. though! having said that. not all the clothes in hong knog are nicely tailored, and looking around verifying everythign is a chore. there are shops in hk just like topshop selling at exactly the same prices.

with countries brings different culture and different styles... so i think that sums up stuff.

and another thing, i'm like... size whatever for them, up towards large. its confidence undefying y'know. they're the nutters.

ReputationRep:
    topshop rules!!! they have amazing clothes in there. some wicked designs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxer)
    topshop rules!!! they have amazing clothes in there. some wicked designs.
    but if you go out wearing a nice skirt from topshop, you are almost guarenteed to see half a dozen girls wearign the same skirt.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    but if you go out wearing a nice skirt from topshop, you are almost guarenteed to see half a dozen girls wearign the same skirt.

lou xxx
    true that, if you value your indivuality through fashion topman/shop is a clear nono. relatively it's not that expensive (from a blokes pov, we dont have these hundreds of cheap yet good shops :P). essentially you pay for what you get, something mass produced and often nothing ground breaking in terms of style.

however blokes, if you're ever in london, make sure you go to the huge topman/shop there, the only way to get in is through some other popular girls shop (miss selfridge i think it was), and boy, do you get some gooood lookin girls. just remember to leave the other half/parents at home

ReputationRep:
    but shopping in hong kong and "verifying everything" is not necessarily a "chore". If you enjoy shopping, you'll definitely have a better time in hong kong than in london, simply because clothes ARE alot cheaper (even though there are expensive shops), plus Hong Kong-ers are not that big on chainstores nowadays....so everyone in London ends up wearing the same thing, whilst in hk, things are really varied, especially in places such as causeway bay, mongkok, tsim sha tsui, etc....not really in central though, only if are a real hong kong-er and enjoy looking through the nooks and crannies. If shopping were an olympic sport, hong kong would win big time. For us, shopping is not just about looking, buying, then paying. Its about enjoying the process (as tedious as it may seem) of finding deals, bargaining (its our favorite past time! ), matching cheap basic pieces with more expensive ones, etc....

I'm not saying that London doesn't have its own shopping culture, but from what I have experienced (and bear in mind that what I have experienced is on a very shallow surface level), I will have to buy all my clothes in Hong Kong and save money in London for food and clubbing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)

lou xxx
    hmm true true, but if you wear a unique top, then you'll stand out! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)

I think VAT in the rest of Europe is 19%, though I might be mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiona Smimms)
    I don't want to make you all jealous....but (here goes)...
    (Original post by fiona Smimms)

we have this man, right, what comes round our house on thursdays with a boot full a clothes (jeans, t-shirts, boots etc) and we can pick literally whatever we bloody want!

WOW!

who gives a toss?

ReputationRep:
    Topshop expensive...LOL yeh right its cheap as chips.

ReputationRep:
    Btw....where are the cheap places in London to shop (for clothes esp, i'm obssessed), need to know because I think London is going to burn a hole in my pocket! So far, I've been to London a few times and I can't find any cheap AND nice places to shop for clothes......comments appreciated!
    New look is good if you aren't to picky and you are on a budget.

ReputationRep:
    its not cheap as chips.....if you consider $520 hk dollars for a simple cotton dress as cheap....you are just ignorant. or you just havent been to hong kong *goes around spreading the wonders of shopping in hk ) if you havent been, you have to come!

judging from your avatar, i guess you're another one of those people who aim to be working for goldman sachs....another one of those nasty investment bankers who only cares about money and nothing else.

no offense , but right now, i have a thing against invesment bankers and investment banks.

ReputationRep:
    primark is soooo good. i love primark. and peacock's.

granted, some of the stuff is pretty bad quality, but if you look hard enough you can find the odd gem. and they change their stock so often... i buy most of my clothes there now, and I'm not ashamed at all. My mother used to work in the fashion industry, and she loves it too. The best bit is that the clothes last just as long as they're still in season, so you have no excuse not to update your wardrobe. and it's sooo cheap!!!! i bought 2 outfits (1 dress, a top and a skirt) plus socks and cute pyjamas for just £20 the other week.

So yay! big up primark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Topshop is cheap in more ways than one The clothes don't tend to be worth the money as they fall apart so quickly. Next is much better!
    Next?! The stuff in there is soooooooo boring!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.