Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Topshop - why is it so expensive?! (girls! and guys of course!) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    topshop is like sooo high st how an earth could you find it expensive its like not even designer!

ReputationRep:
    i guess that explains your username

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm an international student from Hong Kong and I find Topshop quite expensive.....but how come I keep hearing from people that topshop is a place for good fashion but for cheap deals?!?!

I can get many of that stuff in Topshop for half the price or less in Hong Kong!

Btw....where are the cheap places in London to shop (for clothes esp, i'm obssessed), need to know because I think London is going to burn a hole in my pocket! So far, I've been to London a few times and I can't find any cheap AND nice places to shop for clothes......comments appreciated!
    Use an NUS card, it gets you 10% off everything in topshop

ReputationRep:
    call me ignorant, but whats NUS?

ReputationRep:
    What about Zara?!- You people get ripped off in this country, 3 times the price, just like in mango.... strange.

ReputationRep:
    call me ignorant, but whats NUS?
    National union of students.

ReputationRep:
    i guess that explains your username
    oh so tru darling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posh&loaded_lib)
    topshop is like sooo high st how an earth could you find it expensive its like not even designer!
    ure such a fake, get a life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    ure such a fake, get a life
    I'm with you on that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charters)
    I'm with you on that one
    if she is "posh and loaded" u wouldnt go around parading it like u were the queen!!!! i really hate people who lie about their status because theyre afraid they wont be accepted if they say that they really live in a council flat with 24 cats in grimsby whilst there dad is down the pub drinkin his life away

AAARRRHHH!!! i hat ********ters!!!!

ReputationRep:
    if she is "posh and loaded" u wouldnt go around parading it like u were the queen!!!! i really hate people who lie about their status because theyre afraid they wont be accepted if they say that they really live in a council flat with 24 cats in grimsby whilst there dad is down the pub drinkin his life away

AAARRRHHH!!! i hate ********ters!!!!
    i dont know why i wrote this

ReputationRep:
    ..... plus Hong Kong-ers are not that big on chainstores nowadays....so everyone in London ends up wearing the same thing, whilst in hk, things are really varied, especially in places such as causeway bay, mongkok, tsim sha tsui, etc....not really in central though, only if are a real hong kong-er and enjoy looking through the nooks and crannies. If shopping were an olympic sport, hong kong would win big time......

hmm... i have to say that the versatility of styles is greater in uk than in hk; hence topshop does try and cover that constantly with changing styles of the season and such. in hong kong one style is usually perpetuated with lots and lots of similar ideas down the line of stores, all probably owning the same line of clothes anyhows. i call that a chore becuase its not really that diverse... you really want to visit the shops that "pick the cream of the crops" so you don't have to waste time!

people in uk probably end up wearing the same thing because perhaps we're not striving so hard to create our own individuality as hong kong people to. on the other hand, when a certain craze of fashion is introduced in hk, millions of people end up looking like each other, i really can't tell them apart.

but at the end of the day, you are right, clothes here are more expensive. it does make me treasure/care for them that little bit more however. there are many more shops than topshop, you have just got to put your orienteering cap on and do more exploring - hk is a small hub of activity and goings-on so one would bound to familiarise with the place.

ReputationRep:
    its not cheap as chips.....if you consider $520 hk dollars for a simple cotton dress as cheap....you are just ignorant. or you just havent been to hong kong *goes around spreading the wonders of shopping in hk ) if you havent been, you have to come!

judging from your avatar, i guess you're another one of those people who aim to be working for goldman sachs....another one of those nasty investment bankers who only cares about money and nothing else.

no offense , but right now, i have a thing against invesment bankers and investment banks.
    $520 HKD equates to £36, that’s nothing. I’m surprised a dress is that cheap, high street T-Shirts are more pricy than that. Clearly Hong Kong is very cheap however this is not Hong Kong and Topshop clothing prices fall in line with UK income very favourably. I would also like to thank you for your observation of my ignorance, which I feel is thoroughly unjustified furthermore clearly it is your ignorance of the UK retail sector which leads you to consider £36 expensive for a dress. I would like to point out that we have market stalls in the UK which cater for clientele such as yourself and also second hand shops if one feels like pushing the boat out. Lastly yes I am interested in Investment banking, however it is very narrow minded to stereotype me as being only interested in money as you do not know me and consequently are unable to judge me. Cheerio

ReputationRep:
    i used to work in topshop - they're all evil, and my pay was rubbish! :mad:
    they're too comercial to have lower prices. thats what it comes down to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investmentboy)
    $520 HKD equates to £36, that’s nothing. I’m surprised a dress is that cheap, high street T-Shirts are more pricy than that. Clearly Hong Kong is very cheap however this is not Hong Kong and Topshop clothing prices fall in line with UK income very favourably. I would also like to thank you for your observation of my ignorance, which I feel is thoroughly unjustified furthermore clearly it is your ignorance of the UK retail sector which leads you to consider £36 expensive for a dress. I would like to point out that we have market stalls in the UK which cater for clientele such as yourself and also second hand shops if one feels like pushing the boat out. Lastly yes I am interested in Investment banking, however it is very narrow minded to stereotype me as being only interested in money as you do not know me and consequently are unable to judge me. Cheerio
    lol, you amuse me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yipee)
    lol, you amuse me.
    He He I try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investmentboy)
    He He I try
    evidently!

ReputationRep:

AAARRRHHH!!! i hat ********ters!!!!
    yes why did you lol, she happens to be my long-lost sister. I find it quite funny haha how your rant got so carried away but it is also very true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yipee)
    i used to work in topshop - they're all evil, and my pay was rubbish! :mad:
    they're too comercial to have lower prices. thats what it comes down to!

totallllllllllllly dude. imagine what it was like for me and work experience!

ReputationRep:
    did u do work experience in topshop?!

im confused

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.