Topshop - why is it so expensive?! (girls! and guys of course!) Watch

This discussion is closed.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by _Shines_)
What about Zara?!- You people get ripped off in this country, 3 times the price, just like in mango.... strange.
Yea I've got a friend from Galicia (Western region of Spain) and he told me that Zara was considered as a rather mediocre and crap shop and as soon as the clothes go abroad, the same crap is displayed in Zara stores that look a bit posher and girls flock there.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Another rip off place is the Gap. I really like shopping there but sometimes you feel totally raped. The quality of some of the stuff is appalling but you'll still pay 35 or 40 quid. But I'm no better than the next stupid consumer.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Another rip off place is the Gap. I really like shopping there but sometimes you feel totally raped. The quality of some of the stuff is appalling but you'll still pay 35 or 40 quid. But I'm no better than the next stupid consumer.
Gap is the biggest rip off in the world. Crap clothes as well.

Just go to H&M, Peacock's or Primark. Same stuff, but less expensive.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
Gap is the biggest rip off in the world. Crap clothes as well.

Just go to H&M, Peacock's or Primark. Same stuff, but less expensive.
What is funny about Gap is that over the last few years they spent loads on a huge advertising campaign, and even this did not prevent their sales from falling.
priya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
zara can be hit and miss...i got a lovely little beige miniskirt there, casual combat style one for 6 quid....now for a skirt that is pretty damn good....somewhere like topshop/river island would have charged me about 20 for it

topshop tends to be on par with places like river island and next in terms of pricing. i try and stick to the H&M/new look/Bay/Etam pricing levels
priya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
What is funny about Gap is that over the last few years they spent loads on a huge advertising campaign, and even this did not prevent their sales from falling.
gap are just plain boring to a lot of the younger market- and the stuff they sell can be bought in other shops for a fraction of the price. sorry, but whats so great about a plain scoop neck long sleeved tshirt that you have to charge 15 pounds for it?!!
goliath
Report 14 years ago
the cheap clothes in matalan lk like sum of the stuff u get in topshop, but its 1/3 of the price and the quality is much the same.... i wudnt really go 2 either.... i stick to debenhams. tk maxx do cheap things (ysl shirt £20) they are priced similarly to topshop, u get almost nething there (a gd amount of brands unlike topshop) and they dont fall apart!

i dnt actually give a **** about whether clothes lk retro/hip cz most of the pretty boys wearing them lk like weeners trying too hard. clothes are clothes and u can get similar lking things 2 topshop (it really is ****!!) in the market if u desperate to lk the part and are skint
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Topshop is relatively cheap, for quality and selection try and go down to Covent Garden possibly Oxford street but most of that is pretty run-of-the-mill at higher prices, regents street has a large french connection and levi shop if thats what you like. Having said that your probably best getting stuff in HK as I buy loads when I go there, although I have to filter through a fair amount of crap to get something decent.
goliath
Report 14 years ago
actually i got a sonneti and french connection shirt from TK maxx for £28 total.. the reason last season wtf????!!! lks the bloody same, maybe the wrong shade... shock :eek:
Chiaussieuk
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sloaney87)
Topshop isnt that badly priced, the retro section which is the decent section for boys is ok, not as expensive as urban outfitters or diesel. Also HandM might sound a bit tacky but they have quite funky clothes and its cheap!

O yeah stay away from all those shops like mk1 newlook etc there are plenty of those near my school and you always see fat shaz's going into them, they are cheap tacky and disgusting.

You have urban outfitters in London? Where is it located?
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
erm, i think Madhouse deserves a mention, they sell cheap designer brands, or really cheap unknown brands.

Chiaussieuk
Report 14 years ago
I'll be living in London from September, but at the moment I'm still in the USA. What do you Brits recommend I should 'stock up on' in terms of clothes before I come. What types of clothing are particularly expensive? I think I'm going to buy a few more pair of jeans here b/c I can get Levis for $29 on sale. If you could go shopping in the USA (or if you are British and do shop overhere) what do you think America does better or has dirt cheap in comparison to London? I do find that a lot of the chain stores over here are more into the preppy clothes that no one really wears in England. I tend to dress with more of a British influence, so I still want to buy some clothes in London. The problem I have shopping in London is that the prices look so cheap to me! When they're in pounds, the prices look cheap, but when I apply the conversion rate they're a rip off!
gangrene
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
"$520 HKD equates to £36, that’s nothing. I’m surprised a dress is that cheap, high street T-Shirts are more pricy than that. Clearly Hong Kong is very cheap however this is not Hong Kong and Topshop clothing prices fall in line with UK income very favourably. I would also like to thank you for your observation of my ignorance, which I feel is thoroughly unjustified furthermore clearly it is your ignorance of the UK retail sector which leads you to consider £36 expensive for a dress. I would like to point out that we have market stalls in the UK which cater for clientele such as yourself and also second hand shops if one feels like pushing the boat out. Lastly yes I am interested in Investment banking, however it is very narrow minded to stereotype me as being only interested in money as you do not know me and consequently are unable to judge me. Cheerio"

Did you not read what i wrote? "A simple cotton dress".

If you think its my ignorance of the UK retail sector which leads me to consider 36 pounds expensive for a dress, then it is YOUR ignorance of the hk retail sector which leads you to consider 36 pounds cheap for a dress.

"however this is not Hong Kong and Topshop clothing prices fall in line with UK income very favourably" ---- what are you trying to say? that we earn a low income?

And, again, I guess you did not read what I had to say, but i said, "no offense" and yes i know that does not represent your person as a whole, but right now, as i stated, i DO have a thing aganst investment bankers and their behaviour because i have met many of them. so sorry, if that put you off, and i should not have put out a judgmental comment like that, but sometimes, i just do feel that way.
_Shines_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Zara was considered as a rather mediocre and crap shop and as soon as the clothes go abroad, the same crap is displayed in Zara stores that look a bit posher and girls flock there.

I agree with the first part they suck, its the nearest thing to topshop for "trends" but the second one- nah all the shops are identical no matter where you go! But as long as company's like that continue making the money they don't care!
Pumpkinfoodle
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yipee)
did u do work experience in topshop?!

im confused
yes only because no where else accepted me. they put me a whole two weeks on clearing. B*stards. gave me no breaks, and it was during the summer of bikini fanatics. i had to sort those blimming things out too. HARSH.
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did you not read what i wrote? "A simple cotton dress".

If you think its my ignorance of the UK retail sector which leads me to consider 36 pounds expensive for a dress, then it is YOUR ignorance of the hk retail sector which leads you to consider 36 pounds cheap for a dress.

"however this is not Hong Kong and Topshop clothing prices fall in line with UK income very favourably" ---- what are you trying to say? that we earn a low income?

And, again, I guess you did not read what I had to say, but i said, "no offense" and yes i know that does not represent your person as a whole, but right now, as i stated, i DO have a thing aganst investment bankers and their behaviour because i have met many of them. so sorry, if that put you off, and i should not have put out a judgmental comment like that, but sometimes, i just do feel that way. [/QUOTE]
HK has on average a much smaller disposable income per head based on average salary p/y 20,832.00 USD or 11,398.07 GBP at current exchange rates this is in comparison to the UK where average salary is 24,376 GBP, so yes in comparison HK has a low income per head. Also what is expensive is a very subjective judgement and relies on where you bench mark your comparisons. UK is cheap compared to Norway, Hk is cheap compared to the UK, and Thailand is cheap compared to HK its all relative, however what I am saying is that £36 for a dress in the UK is cheap as in many non-high street outlets nice tee-shirts alone cost £50 upwards.

Cheers
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i willingly spend money on designer (as willingly as u will spend money lol) but i rarely buy from topshop because its a rip off!!!!!!!!

now now i know ur thinking 'err.. wat sense does that make?..'

they charge £40 for a pair of jeans which in my opinion arent all that. id much rather save up a bit longer and buy myself some miss sixtys or french connection jeans. and their stuff is such bad quality as loads of people hav sed. i mean u just hav to take a step back wen u look at the price tag and say 'hmmm... theyr trying to charge me £25 for a *****y piece of material which is mass produced and looks poo'.

i do like topshop occasionally, like i bought a nice miniskrt from there recently but other than that i cant stand it. they charge slightly less than designer prices but watever its rubbish! id rather pay more and get a label. bah topshop trying to convince us that its designer now and that its cheap. er no!

Go forth people to TKMaxx!!! and hennes but to be honest i hate hennes as well.

and to the american guy - buy as much as u can while in the US. theyll rip u off senseless for crap clothes here.

lol sorry for that rant.
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chiaussieuk)
I'll be living in London from September, but at the moment I'm still in the USA. What do you Brits recommend I should 'stock up on' in terms of clothes before I come. What types of clothing are particularly expensive? I think I'm going to buy a few more pair of jeans here b/c I can get Levis for $29 on sale. If you could go shopping in the USA (or if you are British and do shop overhere) what do you think America does better or has dirt cheap in comparison to London? I do find that a lot of the chain stores over here are more into the preppy clothes that no one really wears in England. I tend to dress with more of a British influence, so I still want to buy some clothes in London. The problem I have shopping in London is that the prices look so cheap to me! When they're in pounds, the prices look cheap, but when I apply the conversion rate they're a rip off!
Current usd>ukp exchange rate means anything in the UK is a rip of for you guys, get it at home its gonna cost much less
kokopops1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i actually didnt consider topshop that expensive! seem to get sum good casual stuff there! like none of my stuff has fell apart from there!
kokopops1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
but, if i do get dressy stuff its more likely from oasis, river island or morgan coz i find topshop too casual
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads