Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Topshop - why is it so expensive?! (girls! and guys of course!) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm an international student from Hong Kong and I find Topshop quite expensive.....but how come I keep hearing from people that topshop is a place for good fashion but for cheap deals?!?!

I can get many of that stuff in Topshop for half the price or less in Hong Kong!

Btw....where are the cheap places in London to shop (for clothes esp, i'm obssessed), need to know because I think London is going to burn a hole in my pocket! So far, I've been to London a few times and I can't find any cheap AND nice places to shop for clothes......comments appreciated!
    Really? England's expensive? I'm off to HK this summer, it sounds like shoppers paradise! Where are the best places to shop?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    b/c people pay those prices, therefore they do not have to lower prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Really? England's expensive? I'm off to HK this summer, it sounds like shoppers paradise! Where are the best places to shop?
    causeway bay, mongkok, sha tin, TST.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    causeway bay, mongkok, sha tin, TST.
    Excellent! Are you from HK wonkey?

ReputationRep:
    hey mysticmin, well, there are a few main areas you have to go shop in...or else it would just be like not coming to hong kong...

1) causeway bay - thats where times square is. Times square is mostly full of chain stores, but they do have the quirky funky stuff in some chainstores, for example, catalog, double park(guys skater stuff), etc....Besides times square, there are places such as world trade center, windsor house, etc...

Now there are also the cool/funky/odd places to shop, for example, island beverly, causeway bay place, jardines bazaar (its a noisy crowded street with lots of cheap jeans, but many of the tops are crap...we usually get jeans from there....don't let them rip you off if you don't speak cantonese, jeans should usually cost around 100-120 HK $ there.)

2)Mongkok - this is THE place to go if you're looking for lots of cheap deals with lots of funky fashion. There are lots and lots of streets selling clothes, funky jewelry, etc. at a very cheap price. i even found a cigarette butt earring for 10 bucks! i'm not too familiar with this place though, since i live in hong kong island and not kowloon, where mongkok is situated. its fabulous! but its also noisy crowded and very hot during the summer. beware of pickpockets! if you like smelly tofu, soy milk, etc....mongkok is THE place to eat it!

3) Tsim Sha Tsui - This is like causeway bay and mongkok combined. They have department stalls and malls such as Lane Crawford and Harbour 700 (there are 700 stores, hence the name harbour 700), but these are more expensive than the stuff on the street. Go onto the streets of TST and the street fashion is FAB. its a bit like mongkok on the streets, just a bit more refined.

Then there are the big malls of hong kong...

1) Times Square (as described above)
    2) Pacific Place - this is in Admiralty and full of branded stores...e.g.Hermes, Loewe, Miu Miu, Prada, etc, etc...so I doubt you would want to come here. They do have some good restaurants though, Thai Basil, etc....
    3) Festival Walk - AHH This one's my personal favorite. Its in Kowloon Tong and is very big. the biggest in hong kong, if i'm not wrong. Its medium priced stuff and you can find cool shops everywhere.

AND THEN....theres lan kwai fong and soho for trendy, quirky, funky restaurants with cool/retro/funky/tiny boutique shops tucked away at corners. But the ambience there is great. lots and lots of clubs/bars/pubs, etc....

All the places mentioned above are very accessible as Causeway Bay, Mongkok, Admiralty, Kowloon Tong, Tsim Sha Tsui, all have MTR exits, even to specific malls such as Pacific Place and Festival Walk. For lan kwai fong and soho though, you get off the central station.

Whew.
    Hope this helps.
    I really love Hong Kong and I'll SOOOO miss it when I come to London.
    Are you on holiday in Hong Kong, Mysticmin?

ReputationRep:
    No you won't, cauz you'll be in london with me!

you're a gem gangrene! I am printing out your advice as I speak. I won't be in HK till this summer, dad's going there on conference, I am tagging along. Where are you going in london?

ReputationRep:
    well, if i'm lucky and get 38 IB points, then kings for me. If not....then SOAS or warwick (still deciding).

Btw, one more piece of advice. If you know how to speak some canto or even mandarin, PLEASE speak it when you're shopping. Some people in Hong Kong love to rip you off (rip off you?) just because you speak English or you're a foreigner and they assume you wont know anything!

ReputationRep:
    well, if i'm lucky and get 38 IB points, then kings for me. If not....then SOAS or warwick (still deciding).

Btw, one more piece of advice. If you know how to speak some canto or even mandarin, PLEASE speak it when you're shopping. Some people in Hong Kong love to rip you off (rip off you?) just because you speak English or you're a foreigner and they assume you wont know anything!
    I speak madarin. Hopefully I won't appear to be a foreigner Don't go to warwick, if you're a shop a holic used to the splendours of HK you might die. No Joke.

ReputationRep:
    1) causeway bay - ....
    2)Mongkok - ......
    3) Tsim Sha Tsui - .......
    Then there are the big malls of hong kong...

1) Times Square .....
    2) Pacific Place - ....3) Festival Walk - ....
    to be frankly honest, if you think about it, the money you pay for some products is the quality that you do get out of it. hence quality is more or less governed by the amount of cash you pay for it. lets just forget the economics of currency, rates, and the shipping of products la la la... i could name places relative to uk that sell good clothes like you have, but of my experiences of what you can get from hk/uk... surely its just a lack of locations you know of places here. i still think many clothes you buy from hong kong are not nicely cut, once you wash them it no longer is what it was before, .. basically it doesn't live in the wardrobe. i really don't see how much nicer it is with hk clothes! so at the end of there day, there's only a small portion of good items of clothing worth your money. it actually isn't that great. in fact i think their versatility is nowhere as good as ours. everybody looks alike because they all choose to conform.

ReputationRep:
    right.....everybody looks alike because they all choose to conform?

i'm sure you've done a representative sample to show me this havent you?

the whole point of this post was not to say that the UK doesnt have nice clothes, etc. they do. in case you haven't quite noticed, i was talking about the PRICE of clothes.

and, uh, btw, how the heck would you know that every piece of clothing in hong kong was of bad quality? "its not that great"?!?!

completely senseless.

every country has its own style, its just a FACT OF LIFE that it would be harder (not impossible) (for me, at least) to find nice clothes at a cheap price in london. its true that the cost of living is higher in london.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.