The Student Room Group

What's your favourite historical era?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by princessmaide
the eygptian times and the medusa times

I used to enjoy the Financial Times until they put in the paywall.
No time in history has ever been better than it is now, but I particularly enjoy learning about the Crusades, as well as the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires.
Original post by Simes
I used to enjoy the Financial Times until they put in the paywall.
that joke never banged hun
The Sengoku period interests me a lot.

It's a period in Japanese history from 1467 to 1603 marked by warring clans (Oda, Tokugawa, Hojo, etc.), samurai, ninja, shinobi, the unification of the country, the first invasion of Korea, European powers trying to steak their claim on whatever they could in the country, Miyamoto Musashi and general badassery.

Also the Julio-Claudian dynasty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
How many half-snake, half-woman with snakes for hair and a gaze that can petrify any living thing have you seen in your neighbourhood?

Besides Theresa May?
Original post by Simes
Besides Theresa May?

Good point.
Original post by Arkasia
No time in history has ever been better than it is now, but I particularly enjoy learning about the Crusades, as well as the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires.

We have rather similar historical interests.

Siege of Accra, Formation of the Athenian Constitution, the Julio-Claudian dynasty, am I right?
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
The Sengoku period interests me a lot.

It's a period in Japanese history from 1467 to 1603 marked by warring clans (Oda, Tokugawa, Hojo, etc.), samurai, ninja, shinobi, the unification of the country, the first invasion of Korea, European powers trying to steak their claim on whatever they could in the country, Miyamoto Musashi and general badassery.

Also the Julio-Claudian dynasty.

I've recently started looking into Chinese history and I find it very interesting - especially the progress made in the Tang Dynasty, but I should get started on Japan, as well :wink:
Ah, Henry and his many wives...Makes for an amusing story.

Exactly:h: he could do give modern couples a few useful tips....
We have rather similar historical interests.

Siege of Accra, Formation of the Athenian Constitution, the Julio-Claudian dynasty, am I right?

Interesting choices, I'm more into the various orders floating around at the time (Templar/Hospitalier/Teutonic etc), Alexandrian Wars/Ptolomeic dynasty, and the central hubs (Alexandria and Antioch keep popping up throughout history). My big thing is more cultural than historical though, I can't get enough of the various myths and legends in Greek and Roman times.
Original post by Arkasia
Interesting choices, I'm more into the various orders floating around at the time (Templar/Hospitalier/Teutonic etc), Alexandrian Wars/Ptolomeic dynasty, and the central hubs (Alexandria and Antioch keep popping up throughout history). My big thing is more cultural than historical though, I can't get enough of the various myths and legends in Greek and Roman times.

Then again, who doesn't love the myths. But certainly, art and architecture is beautiful to study, especially in the classical period. Images of Doric, Ionian and Corinthian columns spring to mind.

Btw, have you ever heard of the Livonian Brothers?
only thing i remember from history lesson is 19th century nottingham and that hippocrates fella
(edited 8 years ago)
I've recently started looking into Chinese history and I find it very interesting - especially the progress made in the Tang Dynasty, but I should get started on Japan, as well :wink:

I know it's a bit lazy, but I like the fact there are so many films about that period as it helps you get into the minds of the people that lived through it, their motivations, fears, technological limitations and so on.
Then again, who doesn't love the myths. But certainly, art and architecture is beautiful to study, especially in the classical period. Images of Doric, Ionian and Corinthian columns spring to mind.

Btw, have you ever heard of the Livonian Brothers?

I had to do an art project on the various columns years ago, it's funny just how much simple architecture can mirror the societies they spring from.

Yeah, they were doing quite well for themselves but almost got decimated and had to join the Teutonic Order right?
Original post by eternaforest
only thing i remember from history lesson is 19th century nottingham and that hippocrates fella

History teacher:
"Now, children, an easy way to pronounce that name - HIPPO + CRATES."
Original post by Arkasia
I had to do an art project on the various columns years ago, it's funny just how much simple architecture can mirror the societies they spring from.

Yeah, they were doing quite well for themselves but almost got decimated and had to join the Teutonic Order right?

Aye, they merged with the Teutonic Order and formed their own, rather unimaginably called the Livonian Order.
Aye, they merged with the Teutonic Order and formed their own, rather unimaginably called the Livonian Order.

Medieval knights aren't exactly known for their creativity though, are they :wink:
Original post by Arkasia
Medieval knights aren't exactly known for their creativity though, are they :wink:

Well, that is true.

Now, Lansknecht were somewhat more...imaginative.
Reply 38
Germany - 1933 to 1939. Would love to have seen Hitler's rise, consolidation of power, and attended some of those rallies.
Reply 39
Original post by Howard
Germany - 1933 to 1939. Would love to have seen Hitler's rise, consolidation of power, and attended some of those rallies.

The Nuremburg rallies must have been stupendous.

I also wish I had done as my best friend had requested and made it possible for us to witness a parade in Red Square before the soviet union collapsed. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending