Report Thread starter 3 years ago
You just can't make this up

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...ml#commentsDiv
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What? A newspaper allows other opinions to be aired?
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
She makes some points worth considering but the conclusion is where my biggest issue lies:

(Original post by THE INDEPENDENT)
Instead, seek out that context and the options that Facebook doesn’t give you in a simple, clickable add-on. If you want to show true solidarity with those who’ve been wrongfully killed, the first step is to acknowledge and mourn their deaths equally and genuinely, not just because they’ve brought to your attention by a tech giant’s misguided marketing tool. Quite simply, we owe victims of oppression round the world so much more than this.
I shouldn't have anyone telling me how I should be showing solidarity or even to whom. If I want to pay my respects by having my display picture on Facebook covered in the tricolore then so be it. There is no correct way to do it.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry, they don't mean it. They are just riding the **** of the high horse.
Nicholas Brody
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Didn't realise everyone in France was white. That's news to me. Comparing a race to a nationality is the epitome of idiocy. The media should hire people who actually have functioning brain cells rather than mindless drowns from academic institutions brainwashing mindless morons.

If she means Western supremacy then she'd have a point but that's not racist in the slightest. It is not racist to acknowledge that parts of the world have been progressive throughout the last few centuries and decades and others still have their roots firmly stuck in 600-700AD.
Lacesso
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They must be pulling in the student readers with articles like this.
greggyt94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No doubt this article is over the top and the headline is ridiculous, but there are some important points to be taken from it. Chiefly, I tend to agree with the idea that the changing of a Facebook profile picture seems rather a shallow sentiment, as an article in the New Statesman put it yesterday 'If you aren’t personally affected by the attacks in Paris, then putting a filter on your profile picture can look a lot like a superficial repetition of a publicly acceptable opinion.'
Roofas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The black and blue or white and gold dress saga was also a product of society's deeply inherent White supremacist views. White people could only see themselves expressed in the pearly fabric and all their (stolen) money and luxury in the gold strips. They were blind to the suffering of Black people and the blue of the abused and bruised African souls and bodies who continue to be trod underfoot by White supremacy!

.............?
Ford12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'Racist' has been replaced by 'White Supremacist'. So the anti-racists were concentrating on White People all along.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.66%
Pop (230)
24.73%
Jazz (35)