The Student Room Group

Stereotyping refugees vs Stereotyping Saudi Arabians

I've noticed a terrible and quite racist hypocrisy among certain members of the hard left

Apparently it's wrong to say that we should never let refugees into Europe even if some of them are trained I.S. operatives and that's fine, many refugees are genuinely fleeing both Assad and I.S.

but

It is ok to say we should never ever do business with the Saudis because some of them might have I.S. sympathies even if the vast majority are hard working businessmen trying to develop their country

Why is it ok to stereotype Gulf Arabs the moment they get a bit of money?
Lord knows
Original post by queen-bee
Lord knows

It's actually ridiculous, imagine if someone said they would never do business with a Black man

It actually hammers home how much of an extreme opinion it is to want to just isolate a whole country economically.
Original post by The Rad Prince
It's actually ridiculous, imagine if someone said they would never do business with a Black man

It actually hammers home how much of an extreme opinion it is to want to just isolate a whole country economically.

This site has a few people who love to discriminate,closet racists too.
It isn't stereotyping to state what the Saudi state does, or pointing out its oligarchy nature, or pointing out what oligarchs do.

Nor is defending the dissidents that live in said country. That's acknowledging they are not all the same. For all I know the teenage blogger that was faced with beheading and crucifixion before some humanity prevailed was from a rich family.

I also mentioned weapons trade. All when said trade means we ignore the country's human rights violations for a box of some shiny Rolex watches. Or when the development involves poor workers rights.

It is a problem that exists among humans when we talk about states it is hard not to talk in a way that acknowledges the complexity of individuals caught up in nation states battling it out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It isn't stereotyping to state what the Saudi state does.

Nor is defending the dissidents that live in said country. That's acknowledging they are not all the same.

I also mentioned weapons trade. All when said trade means we ignore the country's human rights violations for a box of some shiny Rolex watches. Or when the development involves poor workers rights.

Not every Saudi leader is this evil closet fascist, it's like you think it's ok to stereotype people, so long as you feel they are powerful and wealthy.
Not every Saudi leader is this evil closet fascist, it's like you think it's ok to stereotype people, so long as you feel they are powerful and wealthy.

For all I know the teenage blogger that was faced with beheading and crucifixion before some humanity prevailed was from a rich family. David Cameron really didn't want a fuss being made out of that which is appalling.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
For all I know the teenage blogger that was faced with beheading and crucifixion before some humanity prevailed was from a rich family. David Cameron really didn't want a fuss being made out of that which is appalling.

So was Tony Benn and I'm sure you love him
Reply 8
Well I guess people see refugees are innocent, which is mostly true. Most of them are just lost and homeless individuals. Plus in this country we generally prefer Syria and Turkey to Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf states.

People's negative opinions about Saudi Arabia come from the idea that it's wasting its potential. In other words, Saudi Arabia is wealthy but rather unfair to its citizens and their freedoms. This is purely subjective though.
Original post by serebro
Well I guess people see refugees are innocent, which is mostly true. Most of them are just lost and homeless individuals. Plus in this country we generally prefer Syria and Turkey to Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf states.

People's negative opinions about Saudi Arabia come from the idea that it's wasting its potential. In other words, Saudi Arabia is wealthy but rather unfair to its citizens and their freedoms. This is purely subjective though.

Historically the West has had rather poor relations with Assad :curious:
Anyway, stay chilled guys

Good then. I hope the Oligarchs with a conscience will work with the dissidents and and try and foster some notion of democracy. Or at the very least do their best not to take part in fascists tendencies of the country they live in.

Everyone is compromised. I'm compromised when I complain about exploitation of chinese sweatshop workers when I type this on a computer full of electronics. Oligarchs are a **** tonne more influential than I am though. Especially in a dictatorship. These non fascist Suadi Oligarchs are a lot more compromised than I am.

Also in my view rich privileged people at the bare minimum should support and contribute to some form of wealth redistribution to those at the bottom of society. Power comes responsibility. I don't care if that is "racist" or means I generally more distrusting of exceedingly rich people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Historically the West has had rather poor relations with Assad :curious:

I meant as in Syria today (i.e migrants).

The fact that the migrants prefer to move towards Europe rather than Saudi Arabia paints an interesting picture of how negatively-received the Gulf is, even by neighbouring states with the similar cultural, social links (e.g language, religion).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending