The Student Room Group

Accountany: apprentice or Uni

Trying to decide what to do next year. I am thinking that I lean more towards my eventual career being in finance rather than accountancy, but I want to earn at least £80,000 eventually. I am wondering what the best route to take is, whether or not an accountancy apprenticeship will hold me back for jobs as a finance director or consultancy. I got AAA at AS and Think I will get between A*A*Aa*(epq) - ABBa.I am only applying for the big 4 and if I don't get in I will go to Uni (if I decide on an apprenticeship.)So my options are: Apprenticeship at big four, or accountancy and finance at Soton Uni. Which looks better and will result in higher wages on average?Also if anyone has any advice on what branch of accountancy to go into if in future I want to be a manager/director/consultant. Thanks guys :smile:
I'd recommend CIMA for management accounting, ACCA for accounting. I've heard of AAT too.

Personally, I'd go for the apprenticeship if you get a qualification out if it because you can earn as you learn and from my own experience it will get your foot in the door of the industry because you'll have relevant work experience with an apprenticeship whereas uni you'd get a degree but you wouldn't have any experience (unless you can do a sandwich year in the industry).

So to summarise, either the apprenticeship or the uni route with a placement year.

*update*
I read your OP more thoroughly and I'd highly recommend a CIMA accredited degree of you go the uni route (CIMA = chartered institute of management accountants)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending