f mars
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone knew any of the recommended reading books for social work? Most of the list I've seen are quite out of date.

Also, any sociology books that may be relevant, and psychology topics which are also relevant (my gf has a psychology degree, so just the topics relevant for psychology is all I really need as she has the research material).

I've got a couple of books, and am looking into attachment theory, but I was looking for more up-to-date books, and books relating to social work law which people have found useful.

Thanks,
Evan
WLH
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by f mars)
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone knew any of the recommended reading books for social work? Most of the list I've seen are quite out of date.

Also, any sociology books that may be relevant, and psychology topics which are also relevant (my gf has a psychology degree, so just the topics relevant for psychology is all I really need as she has the research material).

I've got a couple of books, and am looking into attachment theory, but I was looking for more up-to-date books, and books relating to social work law which people have found useful.

Thanks,
Evan
Hi, these are the two I’ve been recommended to read on social work law -
Law for social workers (2019) Carr and Goosey

The social worker’s guide to the Care Act 2014 (2017) Feldon
efost003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by f mars)
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Evan
Hello
I agree the carr and goosey law book is good. Attachment theory is also very foundational. As social work engages with humans in their environment there is a huge wealth of theory and knowledge that it draws on to inform practice from a range of different disciplines. Topics you can look at are human development, the life cycle, familial behaviours and relationships, abuse and neglect, substance misuse and addiction, mental health, systemic theory, disabilities (incl social model), trauma and psychodynamic perspectives and many more! Literally every human experience and how it may be explained can be drawn on in social work as decisions in social work are based on evidence which draws on research and knowledge. Here are some general books on practice:

Gillian Ruch Relationship Based Practice
Trevethick Communication skills in social work
Banks Ethics and Values in social work practice

Quite a few local authorities are drawing on a 'signs of safety' model of practice as well now so you may want to look at that.

I am not sure if you are looking for children and families or adults social work but the following are some key pieces of guidance for children and families social work practice:

2011 Munro report
2018 Working Together guidance
2000 Department of Health Framework for assessing children in need and their families
2019 Social work England professional standards
Also look at the PCF (practice capabilities framework) and KSS (knowledge and skills statements)

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
31.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (15)
9.62%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.49%
I think it's an unfair expectation (39)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.92%

Watched Threads