The Student Room Group

Experiences of getting a funded PhD with a 2.1?

I know this has been asked hundreds of times, but just wondered if anyone has got any recent experiences of getting onto a funded PhD with a 2.1 and a masters?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.

Lots of people do. Because your research proposal and your references will be the reason they will decide to interview you or not. The 2i won't be the dealbreaker.
Reply 2
Thank you! What about for projects that already have been set out? As I am applying for a few, but I don't need to write my own proposal because the project has already been decided, I only need to write a personal statement and references etc.
Original post by megan_15.12
Thank you! What about for projects that already have been set out? As I am applying for a few, but I don't need to write my own proposal because the project has already been decided, I only need to write a personal statement and references etc.

Answer these questions :
1) Why this project? (what have you already done that leads up to this, why does it especially appeal to you, etc)
2) Why this University/Research Group/Dept? (do your research - what else is going on there in your field?)
3) Why me? (why would you, and only you, be the best possible person to do this PhD?)

The reason why more people with a First get funding is a) more of them apply, and b) they are likely to be more confident at interview.

If Unis didn't really want those with a 2i, they would specify 'First only'. They don't - so go for it.
Yes, I did, and with a career break thrown in as well.
Reply 5
Original post by DrSocSciences
Yes, I did, and with a career break thrown in as well.

Oh thats good to hear! So did you find any difficulty with finding funding?
No, I applied for an advertised funded role, shortlisted to last six, panel interview for 90 mins, in the bag.
I know this has been asked hundreds of times, but just wondered if anyone has got any recent experiences of getting onto a funded PhD with a 2.1 and a masters?

I'm doing g a PhD at UCL with a 2:1 at undergraduate and didn't have any issues at all.
Original post by returnmigrant
Yes.

Lots of people do. Because your research proposal and your references will be the reason they will decide to interview you or not. The 2i won't be the dealbreaker.

I agree with this.

However, not all PhD programmes interview (mine didn't) and when a committee is just comparing applicants on paper, I imagine someone with a first will usually be in a *slightly* better position?

However, in the OP's specific case as they are applying for a particular project and will almost definitely have an interview, this won't apply of course. It was just to note.
Original post by gutenberg
I agree with this.

However, not all PhD programmes interview (mine didn't) and when a committee is just comparing applicants on paper, I imagine someone with a first will usually be in a *slightly* better position?

However, in the OP's specific case as they are applying for a particular project and will almost definitely have an interview, this won't apply of course. It was just to note.

Some don't have interviews?! I've never come across this!
Learn something new every day I guess :smile:
STEM subjects?

I have never heard of anyone in Arts, Humanities or Soc Sci not being interviewed.
STEM subjects?

I have never heard of anyone in Arts, Humanities or Soc Sci not being interviewed.

I'm STEM and I haven't either *shrug*
Reply 12
Original post by redferry
I'm STEM and I haven't either *shrug*

I'm not quite sure what my discipline counts as tbh, but I know for the advertised ones I would definitely have to be interviewed
I'm not quite sure what my discipline counts as tbh, but I know for the advertised ones I would definitely have to be interviewed

Out of interest do you have a distinction at masters?
Reply 14
Out of interest do you have a distinction at masters?

I am actually doing my masters abroad at the moment, got firsts so far
Some don't have interviews?! I've never come across this!
Learn something new every day I guess :smile:

STEM subjects?

I'm in the humanities, and wasn't interviewed. However I am funded by a Research Council under the old Block Grant system, rather than as part of a specific project or group, so I wonder if that could explain it? I honestly thought it was more common not to be interviewed for humanities! :smile: When I was applying for PhDs, I also applied for several scholarships at my old university, and none of them had interviews either?! :s-smilie:
I am actually doing my masters abroad at the moment, got firsts so far

Keep it up and your 2:1 shouldn't matter :smile: what I would say is it can be hard to secure a PhD before you finish your masters so don't get disheartened if it doesn't happen. I got mine around January and I finished in the September
Original post by gutenberg
I'm in the humanities, and wasn't interviewed. However I am funded by a Research Council under the old Block Grant system, rather than as part of a specific project or group, so I wonder if that could explain it? I honestly thought it was more common not to be interviewed for humanities! :smile: When I was applying for PhDs, I also applied for several scholarships at my old university, and none of them had interviews either?! :s-smilie:

I was part of a block grant as well, although in earth sciences, although more recently. All I can say is you jammy git really :tongue:
I was part of a block grant as well, although in earth sciences, although more recently. All I can say is you jammy git really :tongue:

:tongue:

I did have an interview for a scholarship recently, and I was so nervous! Can't imagine what I would have been like 3 years earlier!
Reply 19
I have got an interview! Does anyone have any tips? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending