The Student Room Group

Mocks grades compared to real (A-level)

please can you tell me how your mock grades compared to your real grades. My end of unit exams havent been going as well as i hoped.... Also do you think GCSE grades are a good indicator of Alevel success?

Thanks

EDIT: I got BCCC in my year 12 mocks how much could i improve if i tried really hard? Does anyone have tips to help me improve as i do all three sciences and maths.Im really upset about these, im hoping i can get them all up to A's but dont really know where to start.Has anyone had simmilar mock results? What did you come out with in the end?

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rhaq
please can you tell me how your mock grades compared to your real grades. My end of unit exams havent been going as well as i hoped.... Also do you think GCSE grades are a good indicator of Alevel success?

Thanks

My predicted grades were nothing like my actual, they were better, as they normally are.
and no, they are different styles of exam and different work loads
Reply 2
Original post by sw651
My predicted grades were nothing like my actual, they were better, as they normally are.
and no, they are different styles of exam and different work loads

Okay thabk you - Do you mean that your predicted grades were better?
Reply 3
Original post by Rhaq
Okay thabk you - Do you mean that your predicted grades were better?

Sorry, I wasn't clear, my final grades were better than my predicted
Original post by Rhaq

Thanks

My predicted grades based on my mocks for GCSEs where: 2 As, 7 Bs, and an F in physics. Ended up getting 9 A* and an A. Similar for A levels, Predicted 3As, 2Bs. Got 4 A*, 1 A.
It just depends on the person. But i imagine the trend would be that someone who does well in mocks does well in the actual exams.
my mocks for As were AACC, I got AAAA in Maths, Physics, FM and Chemistry
my gcse prediction were 13Bs i got 10A*s and 3As]
It can work in both ways; you improve or you do worse - I did worse. In my mocks I received AAAB in the real thing I got AABC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh i've just done my mocks and I'm worrying like hell :/ Its nice to see people who do better in the real exams than in the mocks because I think I've done utter crap
Reply 9
My AS mock results were B, C, E in Maths, Psychology and Physics respectively. Real grades: A, B, A in the same order.
I don't think there is much of a correlation between A levels and GCSE, it is much more about if you enjoy your subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Mine were more or less accurate. Don't worry too much about it. Start revising now, take things slowly, do little but often, and by the time the summer exam season comes around, you should be ready. Good luck and all the best.
Original post by Rhaq

Thanks

I got like BBA and achieved A*A*A*

so f*** you admin people who were "worried" I wouldn't achieve my AAA offer lmao. I told the guy as well , who resat his A level year, that I hadn't done past papers yet. Ah well :smile:
At the beginning of AS I was predicted CCCCC, after getting 3As, 4Bs and 2Cs in my GCSES. I got AAACC in my AS mocks, and AAAAB in my A2 mocks (Both Cs, History and Philosophy, went up to As, and Psychology dropped from an A to a B.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
In AS I got a D in my Biology mock, then a high A in the real thing. I think the mock served as a useful wake-up call.

History stepped up from B->A, Geog was an A and stayed the same, and French went from B->A.

My A2 mocks have gone much worse this time around (BCE). Hoping I can pull grades up like last time. Don't get too stressed over your mock results, take them as an incentive to work. At least that's what I'm telling myself!
Original post by Rhaq

Thanks

not comparable, not a good indicator. but you should revise asap.
GCSEs are an okay indicator but still fairly weak. I did better than a few of my friends at A level even though they got more As and A*s than me.
Last year I got the following in mocks - U religious studies B in real thing
D in health and social B in real thing
C in ICT and a U in the real thing.
Start making revision notes now. Do past papers over the Easter hols. Just prepare and memorise each topic at a time. Most importantly have confidence in yourself. My problem is that I never felt that I should be in school last year
Reply 17
for Maths you can turn around a D by doing around of 9 extra hours work per week from now till exams
last year i got consistent Ds in my psychology mocks but got an A in my actual exam - usually your mocks will highlight an area your not strong on, which hopefully you would then put into your revision, so they're not that representative if you put the work in. I don't think GCSE results are always a good predictor for a levell, i got an A in chemistry at GCSE but got an E at a level. Plus it works both ways i was predicted A in biology but got a D
The key is using the mistakes in your mocks as a starting point for revision - you need to resolve these problems to improve your grade - thats why i sucked in my chemistry exam
(edited 8 years ago)
My mock grades were much worse than my actual grades.
In Year 12, for my December mocks, I got:
A - Geography
C - Chemistry
D - Biology
U - Maths

I ended up getting A (geog), A (bio), B (chem), C (maths).

for my recent A2 mocks, I got AAB.

Quick Reply

Latest