The Student Room Group

Just told my mum I'm vegan and she went absolutely mad.

Scroll to see replies

Damn, I'd be so dissapointed if my child came out as vegan.
Reply 62
Original post by simbasdragon
So I'm in year 13, was a vegetarian, and have wanted to become a vegan for ethical reasons for a couple of years now. The main reason I didn't become one until recently is because I feared my mum's and grandma's reactions.

I decided that I didn't want to wait until moving out at uni, so started secretly eating vegan 4 days ago. Tonight though, me and my mum went into a pizza shop to order one, and I had to ask for one without cheese right in front of her.

She got so angry about how it was a waste of money and stormed off. In the car she was ranting about how my hair will fall out, calling me thick etc. She still won't speak to me now and rang my grandma ranting about this. She made me promise not to be vegan until I move out at uni so now I'm stuck. What should I do?

Keep to your promise, but try to minimise your consumption of dairy products in any case. I had a similar problem: my Mother is a vegetarian but was fairly hostile to me becoming vegan (I'd given up meat and eggs already, just not dairy). I simply cut things out slowly: ice-cream, followed by milk chocolate, followed by pizza, and so on.

Don't get downbeat about it either. As some of the comments even in this thread demonstrate, people have been socially conditioned to use animal products, so the negative view of vegans amongst some people will still prevail. Horribly ignorant arguments are often used against veganism, but when it comes to your family, at least there's the bonus that they're being used out of concern for you.

Original post by sw651
Here's the thing, if you truly want to be a vegan (I don't recommend it) then you need to think about the issues that may cause to you. Humans, are designed to eat meat and consume animal products, it is the reason we are made the way we are, I personally would recommend going pescatarian or vegetarian, as it will allow your body to change.

We're omnivores, but vegan diets are perfectly healthy, and can be healthier than diets containing meat in them. It's easy to get calories, protein and other nutrients from a vegan diet.

As the American Dietetic Association has stated:

appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by viddy9
Keep to your promise, but try to minimise your consumption of dairy products in any case. I had a similar problem: my Mother is a vegetarian but was fairly hostile to me becoming vegan (I'd given up meat and eggs already, just not dairy). I simply cut things out slowly: ice-cream, followed by milk chocolate, followed by pizza, and so on.

Don't get downbeat about it either. As some of the comments even in this thread demonstrate, people have been socially conditioned to use animal products, so the negative view of vegans amongst some people will still prevail. Horribly ignorant arguments are often used against veganism, but when it comes to your family, at least there's the bonus that they're being used out of concern for you.

We're omnivores, but vegan diets are perfectly healthy, and can be healthier than diets containing meat in them. It's easy to get calories, protein and other nutrients from a vegan diet.

As the American Dietetic Association has stated:

You are right in stating we are omnivores but I disagree on your other points.

Our main source of energy is fats, which mainly come from meat, as such we are designed to digest it. It is the best source of protein
Reply 64
Original post by sw651
Our main source of energy is fats, which mainly come from meat

Our main source of energy is carbohydrates. And, no, they don't. Fats are found in plant-based oils such as olive oils, and plant-based oils (cis unsaturated fats) are better for you than the saturated fats found in animal products. Again, I would suggest reviewing what the scientific literature has to say on this. The gold-standard of research in medical science, a Cochrane Review of the evidence, concludes:

Lifestyle advice to all those at risk of cardiovascular disease and to lower risk population groups should continue to include permanent reduction of dietary saturated fat and partial replacement by unsaturated fats.

Original post by sw651
It is the best source of protein

It's a source of protein amongst many, from legumes to soya to nuts. Protein is incredibly easy to obtain on a vegan diet so, again, there are no worries there. Again, see the statement by the American Dietetic Association, for example.
Reply 65
Original post by viddy9
Our main source of energy is carbohydrates. And, no, they don't. Fats are found in plant-based oils such as olive oils, and plant-based oils (cis unsaturated fats) are better for you than the saturated fats found in animal products. Again, I would suggest reviewing what the scientific literature has to say on this. The gold-standard of research in medical science, a Cochrane Review of the evidence, concludes:

It's a source of protein amongst many, from legumes to soya to nuts. Protein is incredibly easy to obtain on a vegan diet so, again, there are no worries there. Again, see the statement by the American Dietetic Association, for example.

As a student of biology I again have to disagree we use both fats and carbohydrates. Carbohydrates in the short term, fats as a store of energy. Plant material is comparably indigestible when compared to meat. Enzymes are effective on amino acids not cellulose which is the main substance in a cell wall of a plant.

You also fail to mention how they would gain calories. Vegan diets are proven to be lower in calorie count and other vital nutrients. Vitamin D for example is mostly present in fish. Calcium is mostly present in COWS milk.

Edit: I read both your articles you cited and have come to the conclusion you have omitted parts which do not support you argument. Besides any dietitian would refute the claims of these articles.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by sw651
As a student of biology I again have to disagree we use both fats and carbohydrates.

Of course we use both fats and carbohydrates. But, you claimed that fats are our main source of energy, when they're not. And, even if they were, you'll easily get fats from a plant-based diets, but they'll have the bonus of being healthier than animal fats.

Original post by sw651
Plant material is comparably indigestible when compared to meat. Enzymes are effective on amino acids not cellulose which is the main substance in a cell wall of a plant.

First of all, we also need fibre. Secondly, every plant-based food contains amino acids!

Original post by sw651
You also fail to mention how they would gain calories. Vegan diets are proven to be lower in calorie count and other vital nutrients. Vitamin D for example is mostly present in fish. Calcium is mostly present in COWS milk.

Vitamin D can be obtained from sunlight and, in the winter, from fortified foods or supplementation. Calcium can be obtained from spinach, kale and numerous other vegetables, as well as in fortified foods such as soya milk.

As long as you do your research, which OP quite clearly has, there's nothing to worry about. Calories are, again, found in every plant-based food. You can easily meet - or exceed - your caloric requirements on a vegan diet.

If vegan diets are lower in calories than the average Western diet, then that's also probably a good thing, given that we tend to consume far too many calories.

Original post by sw651
Edit: I read both your articles you cited and have come to the conclusion you have omitted parts which do not support you argument. Besides any dietitian would refute the claims of these articles.

Could you give me an example of the parts I have omitted? I cited the conclusion of a Cochrane Review - the gold-standard of evidence in medicine - as well as the statement of the American Dietetic Association. You know, an association of dietitians. Do they disagree with their own claims?

You're not citing any evidence to support your positions, and you appear to be engaging in deliberate obfuscation. You clearly started with a conclusion against vegan diets and now you're engaging in motivated reasoning. It's perfectly true that vegan diets are lower in some nutrients (not that this appears to have any effect on lifespan or other health outcomes), and higher in others (which may have a beneficial effect when it comes to cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes). But, it's also easy to ensure that your vegan diet is not lower in these nutrients, because they can all be obtained.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by viddy9
Of course we use both fats and carbohydrates. But, you claimed that fats are our main source of energy, when they're not. And, even if they were, you'll easily get fats from a plant-based diets, but they'll have the bonus of being healthier than animal fats.

First of all, we also need fibre. Secondly, every plant-based food contains amino acids!

Vitamin D can be obtained from sunlight and, in the winter, from fortified foods or supplementation. Calcium can be obtained from spinach, kale and numerous other vegetables, as well as in fortified foods such as soya milk.

As long as you do your research, which OP quite clearly has, there's nothing to worry about. Calories are, again, found in every plant-based food. You can easily meet - or exceed - your caloric requirements on a vegan diet.

If vegan diets are lower in calories than the average Western diet, then that's also probably a good thing, given that we tend to consume far too many calories.

Could you give me an example of the parts I have omitted? I cited the conclusion of a Cochrane Review - the gold-standard of evidence in medicine - as well as the statement of the American Dietetic Association. You know, an association of dietitians. Do they disagree with their own claims?

You're not citing any evidence to support your positions, and you appear to be engaging in deliberate obfuscation. You clearly started with a conclusion against vegan diets and now you're engaging in motivated reasoning. It's perfectly true that vegan diets are lower in some nutrients (not that this appears to have any effect on lifespan or other health outcomes), and higher in others (which may have a beneficial effect when it comes to cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes). But, it's also easy to ensure that your vegan diet is not lower in these nutrients, because they can all be obtained.

The main reasoning for my argument is while these sources may state that there can be benefits, many vegan diets are not up to medical standards for these benefits to be observed. As an eater of both meat and plant materials I know I am readily getting the nutrients I need. As you have already stated, we are Omnivores, our bodies have evolved to eat meat, which is why we have teeth to tear and grind meat as well as proteases in our stomach's
@simbasdragon: How's it going now?

It's possible that your unwelcome news acted as a lightening rod for all sorts of other irritations that she may currently have, hence her response.

Try not to make it an ethical battle with a Winner and a Loser. The mature thing to do is to negotiate to a consensus.
Reply 69
Original post by sw651
The main reasoning for my argument is while these sources may state that there can be benefits, many vegan diets are not up to medical standards for these benefits to be observed. As an eater of both meat and plant materials I know I am readily getting the nutrients I need. As you have already stated, we are Omnivores, our bodies have evolved to eat meat, which is why we have teeth to tear and grind meat as well as proteases in our stomach's

Some studies have observed benefits, nonetheless, using large samples of vegans. That's not the main point of the thread, though: the original poster is making an ethical decision to go vegan, and my point is that there's no medical reason whatsoever for him/her not to, because it's easy to obtain all of the nutrients required on a vegan diet. As somebody who lives on a plant-based diet, I too know that I am getting all of the nutrients that I need, just as millions of other vegans have done in the past and lived long and healthy lives, and just as millions will in the future.
Reply 70
Original post by viddy9
Some studies have observed benefits, nonetheless, using large samples of vegans. That's not the main point of the thread, though: the original poster is making an ethical decision to go vegan, and my point is that there's no medical reason whatsoever for him/her not to, because it's easy to obtain all of the nutrients required on a vegan diet. As somebody who lives on a plant-based diet, I too know that I am getting all of the nutrients that I need, just as millions of other vegans have done in the past and lived long and healthy lives, and just as millions will in the future.

You say ethical. But I they get properly sourced meat and dairy products there shouldn't be an issue. But hey, let's just agree to disagree
Original post by simbasdragon
So I'm in year 13, was a vegetarian, and have wanted to become a vegan for ethical reasons for a couple of years now. The main reason I didn't become one until recently is because I feared my mum's and grandma's reactions.

I decided that I didn't want to wait until moving out at uni, so started secretly eating vegan 4 days ago. Tonight though, me and my mum went into a pizza shop to order one, and I had to ask for one without cheese right in front of her.

She got so angry about how it was a waste of money and stormed off. In the car she was ranting about how my hair will fall out, calling me thick etc. She still won't speak to me now and rang my grandma ranting about this. She made me promise not to be vegan until I move out at uni so now I'm stuck. What should I do?

Hey.
I want to move out just living with non-Vegans so my condolences!
To put it as nicely as possible, your mum is very ignorant.
It's unfortunate that she told your grandmother as she is probably more so -as mine is- and she is likely the most brainwashed to think you need to consume breast milk and flesh.
My parents and siblings are all knowledgable enough to know I can be a health Vegan haha

She has a point about value though, considering you may be paying the same price and not getting something ...that something being cancer, perhaps. I don't go out other than to buy stuff and see one friend or a small group of semi-friends after college. I make my own dinner -I'm 17 and I've been Vegan for 9 months (several hundred more to come). I hadn't eaten with family for a while anyway and they just watch sh*t TV shows so I watch different shows. Anyway, I'm shocked and kind of disgusted at how controlling your mother is. Is cooking your own meals an option? She must let you avoid animal products! I hope that you're moving soon lol good luck :smile:
Original post by sw651
You say ethical. But I they get properly sourced meat and dairy products there shouldn't be an issue. But hey, let's just agree to disagree

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Would you like to be killed?
Is there a humane way to kill someone who doesn't want to die and is innocent?
What does "properly sourced" actually mean?
Is this just an excuse? Does it make you feel better?
Original post by Major Zero
Damn, I'd be so dissapointed if my child came out as vegan.

Just for not wanting to consume breast milk and flesh and not wanting to harm innocent animals and not wanting to have an unnecessarily large impact on the environment and unnecessary health risks?
Does it harm anybody in anyway?
You sound like a great parent! -_-

How does Veganism hurt anybody?
How does homosexuality hurt anybody?
How does being Vegan determine sexuality?

-Heterosexual male Vegan
Original post by GoatLover69
x

You realize that all these posts you're replying to are from two years ago, right? :erm:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
You realize that all these posts you're replying to are from two years ago, right? :erm:

oh well no harm done lol

Quick Reply

Latest