No A level Physics
Done D1 already at AS, B- 73 ums.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mesosleepy
Which modules are easier S1 or M1?

Background
No A level Physics

S1 is way easier than M1 and this is coming from someone who is also taking a level physics
S1.
Do M1 if you have an interest in mechanics/physics/problem solving. Do S1 if you'd prefer having a nap instead.
Reply 4
Original post by smartalan73
S1 is way easier than M1 and this is coming from someone who is also taking a level physics

Did you do both? if yes what did you get?
Reply 5
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Do M1 if you have an interest in mechanics/physics/problem solving. Do S1 if you'd prefer having a nap instead.

I guess its settled then
Reply 6
M1. Way easier, got 100 and 73 in D1.
Reply 7
M1 > S1. You don't need A-level Physics for it.
Did you do both? if yes what did you get?

I did both and got 100 ums in S1 and 93 ums in M1. I had to work significantly harder at M1 though.
Reply 9
Original post by smartalan73
I did both and got 100 ums in S1 and 93 ums in M1. I had to work significantly harder at M1 though.

Do you think its easier to self teach S1 or M1?
M1, more reliable and easier

S1 is luck of the draw, its hard to adapt to new content which is often given in exams
Reply 11
S1 is wayyy easier :smile: Saying that as ive done both :smile:
Done both, 87 in S1 and 83 in M1, but I'm never a fan of applied modules. I preferred S1 but thats because I couldn't do M1.
S1 is easy but boring as ****. Got 81 UMS :colonhash:
M1 is harder COMPARED TO S1. But way more interesting, managed to get 95 UMS in it.

Obviously, this is my opinion solely relying on my experience and results.

EDIT: I don't do A-Level Physics.
(edited 8 years ago)

Background
No A level Physics

I did both M1 and S1 - got 97 in S1, 92 in M1.

Can't say I tried very hard for either, but Statistics was the better one for me (just because of the teacher, the actual module content gets lost when you're doing 6 modules of maths throughout the year).

On for M2 and S2 this year - we're debating whether we want to learn D1 or M3.
S1
You dont need to do physics to be good at M1. But an understanding of the whole situation and a ability to vizualise whats goin on maybe helpful

Background
No A level Physics

I found M1 much easier. I did A-level physics but it's not required.
S1 was horrible.
Do you think its easier to self teach S1 or M1?

Well for S1 we had an awful teachers who'd just stick on a powerpoint but that was pretty much good enough for me. A lot of M1 is just memorising formulas and a lot of people say S1 is also memorising formulas but you actually get given a lot more on the formula sheet (if i remember correctly you don't get any for M1) and the stuff that isn't on the sheet you can actually work out if you understand what you are doing so that's basically why i think S1 is easier
I think people just lean one way or the other, you'll have people like me who did S1-S4 so that I only had to do M1 :colondollar:, and then people who find Mechanics to be a lot easier / interesting.

In general stats is easier to self teach as the content is fairly straightforward, though I'll admit that the exams can get slightly tricky but they can't throw any crazy curveballs.

M1 without someone there to explain things.. hmm. Can get a bit tough at times I suppose, unless you're following videos or able to visualise things yourselves. But that's what sketching diagrams are for :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending