Turn on thread page Beta

Student loans for this year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone that is starting uni in september already had their confirmation of how much loan they will get, and if they will have to pay any fees? I still haven't heard anything from them yet.

Also did anyone have to use that stupid new PN1 form?

I got mine back a while ago. I have to pay back £650 fo the first year. So I don't have get out another loan next year or the year after, I've asked for a £3,600 loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    Has everyone that is starting uni in september already had their confirmation of how much loan they will get, and if they will have to pay any fees? I still haven't heard anything from them yet.

The new PN1 for the Pilot regions ? (I'm in Notts).

Yep. Simple werent it. Far better than having 2 forms.

I don't know any one who took the chance to fill it in online though.

I just haven't had any confirmation of what my entitlement is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)

Yeah, I used the PN1 form, but it was a shame that the instructions they enclosed were for the two form-model. We were not informed about this discrepancy (or the fact that we were part of a pilot scheme), so it took a few phone calls to the SLC to figure out what was going on and why the form numbers were different to what they should've been according to the documentation etc. :rolleyes:

I got a confirmation letter a while back, which just stated that they'd received my form and had started processing my application, but as yet have not received any information regarding amounts etc.

Kind Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    The new PN1 for the Pilot regions ? (I'm in Notts).

Yep. Simple werent it. Far better than having 2 forms.

I don't know any one who took the chance to fill it in online though.

I just haven't had any confirmation of what my entitlement is.

I wouldn't have called it simple, I though it was a ***** to fill out, but then I haven't seen the other forms which might be even worse.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one still waiting for an answer though! How long ago did you send it in?

I don't understand why they took so long to send the forms out either, the deadline for the other type of forms passed before we even got ours, and all those people have got answers weeks ago. I'm dying to know 'cos once my loan is in place then I know I will definately be going, and I can tell tesco what to do with their job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Yeah, I used the PN1 form, but it was a shame that the instructions they enclosed were for the two form-model. We were not informed about this discrepancy (or the fact that we were part of a pilot scheme), so it took a few phone calls to the SLC to figure out what was going on and why the form numbers were different to what they should've been according to the documentation etc. :rolleyes:

I got a confirmation letter a while back, which just stated that they'd received my form and had started processing my application, but as yet have not received any information regarding amounts etc.

Kind Regards,
    Good sounds like all of us using PN1 are still waiting then. I didn't even get any instructions with mine, I rang to tell them and they sent me some which were a waste of paper, completely useless. Maybe because its a pilot they have f**cked them all up like they usually do with something new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I got mine back a while ago. I have to pay back £650 fo the first year. So I don't have get out another loan next year or the year after, I've asked for a £3,600 loan.
    what are you on about???

i finally got my notification last week and am intitled to an amazin £3158 and i have to pay the untire £1125 fees! oh well- its money for nearly nothing!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    I wouldn't have called it simple, I though it was a ***** to fill out, but then I haven't seen the other forms which might be even worse.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one still waiting for an answer though! How long ago did you send it in?

I don't understand why they took so long to send the forms out either, the deadline for the other type of forms passed before we even got ours, and all those people have got answers weeks ago. I'm dying to know 'cos once my loan is in place then I know I will definately be going, and I can tell tesco what to do with their job!
    Council recieved mine on the 12 May, and I got my "Secret Answer" on the 7th July.

I've had nothing since then.

ReputationRep:
    I have just been told not to expect an answer for two weeks or so! After results day will I have to accept a place at uni, and then pull out later if I don't get full support?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    I have just been told not to expect an answer for two weeks or so! After results day will I have to accept a place at uni, and then pull out later if I don't get full support?
    I had to fill out 3 forms for my LEA!!! One to tell them my details, and where i plan to go, and to do what course, and whether I wanted to be assessed for finacial support (so I ticked yes as told by my head of 6th form). THen we got the financial assessment form, which had to have every detail of my parents annual income etc which was time consuming to fill out, then I got a letter back saying I wasn't intitled to any finiacial support and that I have to pay my £1125 tuition fees, and told me how much my parents should contribute a year and that on top of that I could apply for up to £3000 a year in student loan. So I have applied for £3000 - I figured if I don't use it all then next year I don't need to apply for as much, but its better to have the money to start with rather than apply for £2000 and run out by Easter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I had to fill out 3 forms for my LEA!!! One to tell them my details, and where i plan to go, and to do what course, and whether I wanted to be assessed for finacial support (so I ticked yes as told by my head of 6th form). THen we got the financial assessment form, which had to have every detail of my parents annual income etc which was time consuming to fill out, then I got a letter back saying I wasn't intitled to any finiacial support and that I have to pay my £1125 tuition fees, and told me how much my parents should contribute a year and that on top of that I could apply for up to £3000 a year in student loan. So I have applied for £3000 - I figured if I don't use it all then next year I don't need to apply for as much, but its better to have the money to start with rather than apply for £2000 and run out by Easter.
    Oh the joys of being in the One Form Pilot !

ReputationRep:
    Well unfortunately, Berkshire lags behind in evryone else!!! We've never piloted anything!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Well unfortunately, Berkshire lags behind in evryone else!!! We've never piloted anything!!!

dont worry- we've never piloted anything either!!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but at least they've got an answer! I would fill in another 3 forms or even another 103 forms if I could have an answer NOW!

ReputationRep:
    Just to let you know that there are some LEA's who couldn't organise a p***-up in a brewery, It's now December 2nd 2003, I started my term September 15th, and my student support STILL isn't through!!! I only received confirmation of how much I was going to get 2 weeks ago, but still haven't given it to me; at this rate I'll be after the 2nd installment before they give me the first! :confused: :mad:

(Original post by Dam)

ReputationRep:
    Well what with my being pretty lapse at sorting it out and my dad being even worse i only sent my ALG form off a few weeks ago and have just had a nec letter saying im getting 750 bucks for this year

Should get 1500 what with my dad not being well off one bit but there we go

Not bad considering they say they want the form in before september finishes :]

ReputationRep:
    my advice is have as much loan as poss and put the loan you dont spend into a high interest bank account.
    If you ever do a postgrad you will need it, also its good to have something to tide you over while you look for work after uni, it can help pay for a cheap car to get youlooking for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    but i'm not in the test region!!!!argh!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, as a first year uni student, will i get a letter asking me if i want another loan next year or do i have to chase my LEA up?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.