Latent heat of vaporisation > Latent heat of fusion?

Watch
Mihael_Keehl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Have I got this right?
Absent Agent
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
Have I got this right?
There was a question on this in the physics exam forum but I'm not sure if I gave the correct hints .
Mihael_Keehl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
There was a question on this in the physics exam forum but I'm not sure if I gave the correct hints .
Thanks I think I figured it out though. Liquids have more entropy than solids, so there is more disorder and so liquids will have greater electrostatic attraction and so will have greater potential energy and as a result they will have greater internal energy.

Meshed chem and phy there aha, but it is true.

Is sublimation even possible to do?

Thank you though
Absent Agent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks I think I figured it out though. Liquids have more entropy than solids, so there is more disorder and so liquids will have greater electrostatic attraction and so will have greater potential energy and as a result they will have greater internal energy.

Meshed chem and phy there aha, but it is true.

Is sublimation even possible to do?

Thank you though
I think (though I'm not sure) that entropy is a measure of the macroscopic behavior of a system and so I wouldn't really be convinced by that. I believe it's the atomic/molecular structure of the substance that plays an important role in the intermolecular forces of the substance.

I have heard that sublimation is possible but I really don't have an understanding of the process.
Mihael_Keehl
Rep:
?
I think (though I'm not sure) that entropy is a measure of the macroscopic behavior of a system and so I wouldn't really be convinced by that. I believe it's the atomic/molecular structure of the substance that plays an important role in the intermolecular forces of the substance.

I have heard that sublimation is possible but I really don't have an understanding of the process.
Entropy = Measure of disorder within a system, so gases and liquids who do not have fixed molecules consequently have higher disorder. I believe that is right.

That is certainly possible I will look into it.

That would be quite cool, is there a name of the process which goes from gas---> solid
Absent Agent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Entropy = Measure of disorder within a system, so gases and liquids who do not have fixed molecules consequently have higher disorder. I believe that is right.

That is certainly possible I will look into it.

That would be quite cool, is there a name of the process which goes from gas---> solid
yeah, you are correct that Entropy = Measure of disorder within a system, but what I was referring to was that the measure of disorder of a system is derived from experimental results. For example, we know that gases have a higher entropy not because we know why they are gases, but because just they disordered.

Although using the entropy may lead you to the correct conclusion, I don't think it would give us an intuitive understanding. Again, I may be wrong
Mihael_Keehl
Rep:
?
yeah, you are correct that Entropy = Measure of disorder within a system, but what I was referring to was that the measure of disorder of a system is derived from experimental results. For example, we know that gases have a higher entropy not because we know why they are gases, but because just they disordered.

Although using the entropy may lead you to the correct conclusion, I don't think it would give us an intuitive understanding. Again, I may be wrong
I see thank you for your reply.
Absent Agent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see thank you for your reply.
No worries!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads