The Student Room Group

I know a refugee whose children go to Imperial and Oxford, let all refugees in?

So yeah the title, is that justification to let all refugees in :P

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mihael_Keehl

No.
Reply 2
No... it's really not. That's like saying I know a black guy who goes to MIT, so they should just let all black applicants attend MIT.
Not taking up a side here, just saying your logic is insanely flawed
*cue angry university applicants screaming about how they're stealing all of our uni places*
But no, that on it's own is not a reason to let refugees in. There are other more important factors, like having a humanitarian duty to help these people, that mean refugees should be allowed in the country.
Original post by yasaminO_o
But no, that on it's own is not a reason to let refugees in. There are other more important factors, like having a humanitarian duty to help these people, that mean refugees should be allowed in the country.

We also have a duty to maintain the legacy of our ancestors.
Steve Job's dad was a refugee, without a refugee I wouldn't have my iPhone... Deep...
Reply 7

lol if that's how you think logically, then pro-tip: Don't ever take up debating.
Original post by william walker

You can't make a whole population "maintain the legacy of their ancestors," some people will adopt aspects of other cultures anyway. Besides, if you're that bothered about honouring your heritage, you'll do it regardless of how many refugees are in the country. You can't turn down vulnerable people because you're worried they'll change the whole face of the country - they won't.
Reply 9

No, it is impossible to screen the migrants and process them. Firstly they are wild and refuse to go to processing camps and secondly majority of them have no documentation or have forgeries, they could be anyone and until we can be sure they are not terrorists, we should not open the door to them. At least CHECK IF THEY HAVE WEAPONS, the EU cough cough Merkel, are not even doing that

Viva Hungary, I admire them
Reply 10

Do we?
Reply 11

No one really has anything to gain from helping refugees.

It's really just a matter of how much the gov't lets its voters guilt them into letting them in
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447800430.793423.jpg
Some refugees will be amazing people.
Others will be terrorists.

If we let in a very large number then we will see people from every corner of life.
That's just life.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447800430.793423.jpg

SOZ mathematician
Original post by MAINE.
No one really has anything to gain from helping refugees.

It's really just a matter of how much the gov't lets its voters guilt them into letting them in

The refugees have everything to gain, and they deserve our help. For me, personally, it's not about what we as a country can gain (although in the longterm there may be economic/structural benefits to the country e.g. more skilled workers, more businesses etc.) it's about doing what we can to help victims of war.
Let in the refugees who abide by the screening process and are most vulnerable, for example women and children at UN camps. We do have a moral obligation to help as much as possible.

Letting in large numbers from Calais etc. is not fair as it encourages a 'survival of the fittest' scenario where only young men who haven't been processed through the camps are provided asylum.

I remember the Human Relief Foundation went to Calais and ended up withdrawing aid because they felt many of the Calais cohort didn't need it.

The most important thing is actually making the home region of the refugees habitable so they don't have to traverse Europe to get to safety. The government, to be fair, is giving loads of money to this cause.
(edited 8 years ago)
You can't make a whole population "maintain the legacy of their ancestors," some people will adopt aspects of other cultures anyway. Besides, if you're that bothered about honouring your heritage, you'll do it regardless of how many refugees are in the country. You can't turn down vulnerable people because you're worried they'll change the whole face of the country - they won't.

Evidence suggests otherwise.
Original post by Aph
Do we?

Yes because without our ancestors we don't exist, we have nothing.
Evidence suggests otherwise.

Care to expand...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending