The Student Room Group

want to start an indie band

ahhhh, I have no idea if this is in the right forum or not... also a little embarrassing admitting this...

basically, I play piano and sing (a play a little guitar) and am part of the worship band in my local church so am used to singing in a band in a variety of styles... I love writing and arranging music and really really want to start a band but have no idea how to go about it... does anyone have any suggestions?

It would be some sub-genre of indie music, but obviously I'm open to creative direction.

Also want this to be at least semi-serious, not just a group of people hanging out regularly and occasionally jamming with a couple of guitars...
Why is that embarrassing?

Do you not know any other musicians you could ask? Also trying putting ads on notice boards at school/uni/work, around the music dept of course, if you're still studying. Ask friends on facebook if they know anyone, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by e aí rapaz
Why is that embarrassing?

Do you not know any other musicians you could ask? Also trying putting ads on notice boards at school/uni/work, around the music dept of course, if you're still studying. Ask friends on facebook if they know anyone, etc.

A lot of my friends are musical but tbh I don't think it'd work forming a band with my friends - they listen to very different music from me and also I think we get on too well - nothing would ever get done haha.

I guess I want to meet new people as part of this as well...
Hi I play guitar, what indie music are you into?
From my little experience of indie bands I can say that to be successful you must have a side fringe.

Look for people with typical 'indie' hair - and then you have your band.
Reply 5
Original post by nverjvlev
ahhhh, I have no idea if this is in the right forum or not... also a little embarrassing admitting this...

basically, I play piano and sing (a play a little guitar) and am part of the worship band in my local church so am used to singing in a band in a variety of styles... I love writing and arranging music and really really want to start a band but have no idea how to go about it... does anyone have any suggestions?

It would be some sub-genre of indie music, but obviously I'm open to creative direction.

Also want this to be at least semi-serious, not just a group of people hanging out regularly and occasionally jamming with a couple of guitars...

You could try attending gigs at nearby areas and asking if any band would let you join, or anyone there that is interested. But if you want to start from scratch, it'll be a bit difficult to find people.

Have you tried joining music groups on facebook, and asking if anyone is interested? One of my friend tried this approach and worked for him.
Reply 6
Original post by manic.high.girl
Hi I play guitar, what indie music are you into?

heyyyy, I have no idea how to describe it haha, I listen to a wide variety of music... what do you listen to?

Quick Reply

Latest