The Student Room Group

Self-taught A-Levels?

Is it possible to teach yourself A-Levels?

I've looked at distance learning and it's extortionate pricing for someone who doesn't have any income. So I was wondering if it would be possible to teach myself AS Levels and sit them in June, and then do A2 Levels after.

I taught myself two of my GCSEs and did fairly well, so I am organised etc. It's just whether there is a more doable way of studying A-Levels at home as opposed to waiting a year to enrol with a distance learning college. I've looked around and most I've looked at - that have reasonably cheap prices, have a cut of date for enrolments.
Reply 1
It is actually possible. Although a lot of people dissuaded me from doing it, I "self'taught" AS and got As in maths and Physics. I'm into A Levels now, and though it's slightly hectic, it's actually better than wasting time and money in school.
Benefits: No timetables, no assignments, no waking up early in the morning, no exams, no monthly assessments, no class tests, can go out in the morning when other students are in school, the list is endless trust me...:biggrin:
Original post by Hamoody96
It is actually possible. Although a lot of people dissuaded me from doing it, I "self'taught" AS and got As in maths and Physics. I'm into A Levels now, and though it's slightly hectic, it's actually better than wasting time and money in school.
Benefits: No timetables, no assignments, no waking up early in the morning, no exams, no monthly assessments, no class tests, can go out in the morning when other students are in school, the list is endless trust me...:biggrin:

What websites did you use if you don't mind me asking? Also what did you get in your maths and physics GCSE's?
Reply 3
Thanks, I know I can do it - organisation and motivation wise. It's more of just the technical stuff, like whether there are actually enough hours in the day.

I'd also like to know what websites/books you used and how you did any coursework stuff? I'd love to do english literature but it's 40% coursework and I don't know anything about how to send off work or whatever to get marked. I've emailed AQA to find out but I doubt they'll reply for a few days.
Reply 4
Original post by Khione
Is it possible to teach yourself A-Levels?

I've looked at distance learning and it's extortionate pricing for someone who doesn't have any income. So I was wondering if it would be possible to teach myself AS Levels and sit them in June, and then do A2 Levels after.

I taught myself two of my GCSEs and did fairly well, so I am organised etc. It's just whether there is a more doable way of studying A-Levels at home as opposed to waiting a year to enrol with a distance learning college. I've looked around and most I've looked at - that have reasonably cheap prices, have a cut of date for enrolments.

People do successfully teach themselves but a lot of it depends on the subject -what subject(s) are you thinking of doing? Even if you do teach yourself then you have to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate and then everything is arranged through them; the exams boards won't deal with you directly. The entry deadline for next summer is 21 February.

The new AS English Lit has no coursework though I believe there is some in the A level. AQA are normally prepared to mark private candidates coursework but you would still need a tutor or similar who was prepared to authenticate the work as yours before it could be submitted.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
People do successfully teach themselves but a lot of it depends on the subject -what subject(s) are you thinking of doing? Even if you do teach yourself then you have to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate and then everything is arranged through them; the exams boards won't deal with you directly. The entry deadline for next summer is 21 February.

The new AS English Lit has no coursework though I believe there is some in the A level. AQA are normally prepared to mark private candidates coursework but you would still need a tutor or similar who was prepared to authenticate the work as yours before it could be submitted.

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to do Psychology, English Literature and Sociology. Not decided for certain yet except the English Literature.

If I apply to enter as a private candidate with an exam centre before the 21st of February, I should be fine for sitting the AS exams at least? And then if I find a tutor or someone to mark my coursework for A2, I should also be fine for my coursework to be submitted?
Original post by Khione
Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to do Psychology, English Literature and Sociology. Not decided for certain yet except the English Literature.

If I apply to enter as a private candidate with an exam centre before the 21st of February, I should be fine for sitting the AS exams at least? And then if I find a tutor or someone to mark my coursework for A2, I should also be fine for my coursework to be submitted?

I suggest you start looking for a centre now -- a surprising number of centres refuse private candidates (at least where I live). I'm self-teaching A Levels in further mathematics and history and, as others have said, certain subjects will present problems with coursework because you'll need to find a centre willing to work with you.

One solution to this, that I've adopted, is to do CIE A Levels, which are international A Levels with no coursework element. Have a look around on their website and see what you think of the syllabi for the subjects you're thinking of doing. Of course, you need to make sure that you find a centre that actually does CIE exams; if you can find one near you, great. If not, there's one particular place that I'll be doing my exams in that's in Bristol that I could suggest but, generally speaking, it's best to do exams in a centre that's near you because taking the train and then finding a place to stay for the duration of the exams is just hassle.
Reply 7
Original post by Khione

Psychology and Sociology don't have any coursework so that makes it simpler to find a centre.

All the subjects you mention are in the process of changing and people who started studying them this September are on the new specifications. AS exams still exist but they don't contribute towards the A level so you could just miss them out. On the other hand, taking them might give you good experience and an idea who you're doing - it;'s one of those things that can be very hard to assess if you are self-studying.
Reply 8
Well basically, I wrote exams for Physics and Mathematics. For math I used examsolutions.net and for physics i used a bunch of different websites like khanacademy, ck12, physicsandmathstutors, etc.. But if you really google them out, you'll get a whole list of websites that can be helpful.

Original post by Khione
Thanks, I know I can do it - organisation and motivation wise. It's more of just the technical stuff, like whether there are actually enough hours in the day.

Actually, as you said, motivation and organisation are the two most critically important aspects of self study. Especially motivation since if you don't have that, you'll merely end up wasting precious time.

Original post by Khione
I'd also like to know what websites/books you used and how you did any coursework stuff? I'd love to do english literature but it's 40% coursework and I don't know anything about how to send off work or whatever to get marked. I've emailed AQA to find out but I doubt they'll reply for a few days.

It depends on what subjects you opt for and what board you are interested in writing your exams with. I wrote through Edexcel, and they do not have any coursework requirements in International A Levels, though I do remember seeing something like that in the ones held in England.
Original post by Hamoody96
Well basically, I wrote exams for Physics and Mathematics. For math I used examsolutions.net and for physics i used a bunch of different websites like khanacademy, ck12, physicsandmathstutors, etc.. But if you really google them out, you'll get a whole list of websites that can be helpful.

Actually, as you said, motivation and organisation are the two most critically important aspects of self study. Especially motivation since if you don't have that, you'll merely end up wasting precious time.

It depends on what subjects you opt for and what board you are interested in writing your exams with. I wrote through Edexcel, and they do not have any coursework requirements in International A Levels, though I do remember seeing something like that in the ones held in England.

Thanks, but what did you get in your maths and physics GCSE's?
My pleasure
A* in maths and A in physics
But I did my GCSEs as a school student. It's only the AS and A Levels that I'm going to be doing on my own.
Original post by dickhead
I need help jihasckjdvgcbdvcnxz cxjhcvxcxznmcvbsvz bjdshcgkjgcvdhncvdckasbgcvkd kjdbvdkjasvbdjvd djvkbdkjvbdvbjdvd

Nice username :rofl:

Why'd you call yourself that?
May i ask who is youre reference

Quick Reply

Latest