Turn on thread page Beta

100% even if you lose few marks? watch

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

I have heard that in AQA exams you can get 90/90(UMS) even if u make few mistakes. Surely that can't be right?

ReputationRep:
    its right in physics B i know that

the umf depends on the performance of the country as a whole so if we all do badly its possible to get full umf for say 70/75 in those physics papers (sometimes even less)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in fact it is quite common.

ReputationRep:
    It also means you can get 80/90 if you only drop 5 marks... it all depends on the average result. If it was higher, the test paper can be assumed to be easier, so grade boundaries are lowered to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    Thats made me feel a bit better coz i had a physics A mod 2 and 3 paper and i made a few silly mistakes. Overall though the paper 3 was quite difficult to most people in my class as in time was a bit short.

What's the difference in Physics B compared to Physics A as in content?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the grade boundary alteration thing. Do they think we are all thicker than two short planks put together? If we all do well in a year, suddenly the exams must be too easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)
    Thats made me feel a bit better coz i had a physics A mod 2 and 3 paper and i made a few silly mistakes. Overall though the paper 3 was quite difficult to most people in my class as in time was a bit short.

What's the difference in Physics B compared to Physics A as in content?
    Physics B is the advancing physics (meant to be for modern times..so everything is put in terms of modern stuff like hybird cars...) And as a special treat u get a *****y textbook in return!

I dont know what A involes...im think they are very similar....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)
    :confused:

I have heard that in AQA exams you can get 90/90(UMS) even if u make few mistakes. Surely that can't be right?
    yup, and in OCR - a fair few people from my school got full marks in physics and maths in january without even ANSWERING all the questions which seems quite unfair!

ReputationRep:
    all the boards have to collate thier marks and scale them up/down accordingly- and then set their boundaries for the A/B/C grades etc. so even if you're OCR paper was easy, bu the AQA paper really tough, it'll work out evenly because of the scaling.

i got full marks on one of my german papers last year....but my raw mark was actually pretty absymal in comparison to the UMS i got- just depends on whether the rest of the country found the exam difficult

ReputationRep:
    DUH thats why we love UMS

top 5% of the nation automatically get full marks.

ReputationRep:
    no i've been told its 10% guaranteed an A (which is 80% umf) then those who are 2 standard deviations (full marks in some cases) above that raw mark will get full umf

ReputationRep:
    How do you know which subjects use UMS...? Is there anyway I can find out for a particular subject before my results arrive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeChloe)
    How do you know which subjects use UMS...? Is there anyway I can find out for a particular subject before my results arrive?
    All GCE and VCE qualifications have used UMS since Curriculum 2000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    All GCE and VCE qualifications have used UMS since Curriculum 2000.
    Ah. I thought I had heard otherwise. Thank you...

ReputationRep:
    It's quite possible. I achieved 100% in two of the general studies papers last year, and I know they weren't the best bits of writing I've ever done...

ReputationRep:
    This is at least the third time I have had to clear up the mysteries of UMS. Before posting a question, try searching previous posts for an answer. This is what I said in January:

UMS is the method by which examiners determine grades. Raw marks are converted to Uniform Marking Scale points using some very complex mathematics - some Jedi formulae or something. This is due to the variation in difficulty and performance in papers.

The relationship between raw marks and UMS points is not linear - the graph would look like a giraffe, not a straight line. Thus, the distribution of grades is shifted towards both extremes - A's and U's. This means that if you're in the middle, say C-D, then a few marks can make a lot of difference.

UMS marks are usually scaled up, and it is possible to get full UMS points without getting a hundred percent in a module (which I've done twice). It is possible for them to be scaled down - it has definitely been done before, but I can't remember the exact details.

ReputationRep:
    hehehe general studies AS in january was hilarious...something about art music....over half our 6th form got full marks on that paper lmao...we just babbled!! roll on A2 general studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    It is possible for them to be scaled down - it has definitely been done before, but I can't remember the exact details.
    it's been done with geography papers with a fair frequency (they're gits, are edexcel).

ReputationRep:
    In psychology the A boundary has been as low as 45/74 so even dropping like 14 marks could have got you full points! Im really hoping its like that ths year!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah seems like everyone is getting 100% nowadays!

Well I'm not complaining

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.