Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

I have heard that in AQA exams you can get 90/90(UMS) even if u make few mistakes. Surely that can't be right?

ReputationRep:
    its right in physics B i know that

the umf depends on the performance of the country as a whole so if we all do badly its possible to get full umf for say 70/75 in those physics papers (sometimes even less)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in fact it is quite common.

ReputationRep:
    It also means you can get 80/90 if you only drop 5 marks... it all depends on the average result. If it was higher, the test paper can be assumed to be easier, so grade boundaries are lowered to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    Thats made me feel a bit better coz i had a physics A mod 2 and 3 paper and i made a few silly mistakes. Overall though the paper 3 was quite difficult to most people in my class as in time was a bit short.

What's the difference in Physics B compared to Physics A as in content?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the grade boundary alteration thing. Do they think we are all thicker than two short planks put together? If we all do well in a year, suddenly the exams must be too easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)
    Thats made me feel a bit better coz i had a physics A mod 2 and 3 paper and i made a few silly mistakes. Overall though the paper 3 was quite difficult to most people in my class as in time was a bit short.

What's the difference in Physics B compared to Physics A as in content?
    Physics B is the advancing physics (meant to be for modern times..so everything is put in terms of modern stuff like hybird cars...) And as a special treat u get a *****y textbook in return!

I dont know what A involes...im think they are very similar....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)
    :confused:

I have heard that in AQA exams you can get 90/90(UMS) even if u make few mistakes. Surely that can't be right?
    yup, and in OCR - a fair few people from my school got full marks in physics and maths in january without even ANSWERING all the questions which seems quite unfair!

ReputationRep:
    all the boards have to collate thier marks and scale them up/down accordingly- and then set their boundaries for the A/B/C grades etc. so even if you're OCR paper was easy, bu the AQA paper really tough, it'll work out evenly because of the scaling.

i got full marks on one of my german papers last year....but my raw mark was actually pretty absymal in comparison to the UMS i got- just depends on whether the rest of the country found the exam difficult

ReputationRep:
    DUH thats why we love UMS

top 5% of the nation automatically get full marks.

ReputationRep:
    no i've been told its 10% guaranteed an A (which is 80% umf) then those who are 2 standard deviations (full marks in some cases) above that raw mark will get full umf

ReputationRep:
    How do you know which subjects use UMS...? Is there anyway I can find out for a particular subject before my results arrive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeChloe)
    How do you know which subjects use UMS...? Is there anyway I can find out for a particular subject before my results arrive?
    All GCE and VCE qualifications have used UMS since Curriculum 2000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    All GCE and VCE qualifications have used UMS since Curriculum 2000.
    Ah. I thought I had heard otherwise. Thank you...

ReputationRep:
    It's quite possible. I achieved 100% in two of the general studies papers last year, and I know they weren't the best bits of writing I've ever done...

ReputationRep:
    This is at least the third time I have had to clear up the mysteries of UMS. Before posting a question, try searching previous posts for an answer. This is what I said in January:

UMS is the method by which examiners determine grades. Raw marks are converted to Uniform Marking Scale points using some very complex mathematics - some Jedi formulae or something. This is due to the variation in difficulty and performance in papers.

The relationship between raw marks and UMS points is not linear - the graph would look like a giraffe, not a straight line. Thus, the distribution of grades is shifted towards both extremes - A's and U's. This means that if you're in the middle, say C-D, then a few marks can make a lot of difference.

UMS marks are usually scaled up, and it is possible to get full UMS points without getting a hundred percent in a module (which I've done twice). It is possible for them to be scaled down - it has definitely been done before, but I can't remember the exact details.

ReputationRep:
    hehehe general studies AS in january was hilarious...something about art music....over half our 6th form got full marks on that paper lmao...we just babbled!! roll on A2 general studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    It is possible for them to be scaled down - it has definitely been done before, but I can't remember the exact details.
    it's been done with geography papers with a fair frequency (they're gits, are edexcel).

ReputationRep:
    In psychology the A boundary has been as low as 45/74 so even dropping like 14 marks could have got you full points! Im really hoping its like that ths year!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah seems like everyone is getting 100% nowadays!

Well I'm not complaining

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.